Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

burning out stators

Go down

burning out stators Empty burning out stators

Post  Guest Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 pm

I bought the bike with a stator that ended up failing when hot... I replaced the stator with an XR400R stator which worked well for 2 weeks. I have ordered the Electrisol stator but it is currently back ordered. Now the second stator is burn out. Any idea what would be burning out the stators? Can a CDI have excessive resistance? I figured they either work or dont. I will also replace the coil but would like to know the solution to the problem.

THanks

Back to top Go down

burning out stators Empty Re: burning out stators

Post  Mauser Mon May 06, 2013 10:50 pm

I would imagine excess load or a short would do the stator no good ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 06, 2013 11:31 pm

yes, I got that part of it but my question is can a CDI unit short or have excessive resistance? From what I understand they work or they don't... no imbetween. Anyone have experiences with this?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 07, 2013 12:29 am

Did you replace your pulse generator when the stator was replaced. Honda recommends this fact buy selling a new stator with a pulse generator.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue May 07, 2013 8:10 am

HELLRAISER wrote:yes, I got that part of it but my question is can a CDI unit short or have excessive resistance? From what I understand they work or they don't... no imbetween. Anyone have experiences with this?
Well a pair of wires do feed the CDI unit and if the CDI was dead/dying then I guess it could take the stator out, maybe the coil is going down and inturn putting load on the CDI which inturn loads the stator ?.....long shot but have you read the book to see about testing the CDI and checking the coil ?.....Another thought you could stick your meter across the feeds to the CDI set it on current and see what it's drawing, bit difficult to do with the coil disconnected as bike won't start but it should show current....?
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

burning out stators Empty TESTING IGNITION

Post  Guest Tue May 07, 2013 4:35 pm

I was thinking last night, and I am going to replace the coil and try that. While I'm installing it, I will go thru the connections and ensure they are clean and in good condition. IF I have a bad connection can it take the stator out?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 07, 2013 7:17 pm

A stator is 3 parts, 2 of which you'll find on the 'ring': dual ignition(-power) coils and a number of power coils. The remaining part is a loose coil, the ignition pickup.
Which part did you ruin?
I ask because the power coils have nothing to do with the ignition or -module...

If you dunno then it's time to RTFM - download it from the web and start measuring with a multimeter, the resistive values will tell you not all but a darn lot!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 07, 2013 8:28 pm

I didn't exactly ruin any of it. When I first got the bike I rode it for about 20 minutes, and each time it suddenly died and wouldn't restart. I thought I left the fuel off or ran out of fuel, so the first time after it cooled down I got it going again... and rode no problem for about 20 mins at a time after that... no issues. The next time I took the bike out, ran for 20 mins and died... and again, no spark until it cools down. So I replaced the stator with an XR400R stator... one coil set powers ignition, the other two run the other components and are seperate as far as I understand. The original stator in the bike (a high output Electrosport stator) had slight burn marks on a few of the coils but resistance would not show a fault because the bike would immediately start once it cooled down enough... and then would die once it got hot... by the time you test the stator it would show ok.... so I put that XR400R stator in and have ridden without issue for about 40 hours... and suddenly, it does it again. The carb was gone thru earlier this season and I am confident its not a fuel issue. It suddenly started sputtering like it was half shorting out... still starts and runs, but misses and coughs like its got a weak spark. I'm going to replace the coil and high tension lead and hopefully this solves the issue. However my concern is, once I'm out an hour in the bush, will it quit again. What things can take out a stator? Bad grounds? high resistance? Where are these points to check?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 am

"and again, no spark until it cools down"

How do you test this? The correct way is to take a 4-hole button with wires (1 grounded, the other to the HT) diagonally opposite through the holes. This is roughly a distance of 10mm and a spark must jump this gap.
If you used the sparkplug then use a brandnew one, or an old working one with the ground electrode bent open a lot to get a big distance.
Did you try new sparkplugs?
Also clean every single connector & connection, clean superbly well and put a minute amount of copper paste (anti seize compound) on them, then reconnect.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed May 08, 2013 5:36 pm

BuRP wrote:"Did you try new sparkplugs?.

Hmmm and I thought my piggy was the only 1 with 2 plugs StirPot
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 08, 2013 10:20 pm

can a CDI cause excessive resistance? I don't think it can because it's solid state but I need confirmation on this.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed May 08, 2013 11:08 pm

Course it can anything can short out apart from a fuse Smile. you have not tested any loads as suggested ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 09, 2013 12:13 am

yes I can check the resistances but the problem is it will start and run, then die, and immediately start again... so pretty hard to rely on these resistance values. I was told a CDI either works, or doesn't... that it can't be faulty intermiattantly by the bike mechanic... but maybe thats not true?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu May 09, 2013 8:04 am

If you suspect it your best to swap it out, grab 1 from fleabay and see how she perfoms ?, XR400 will also fit if you get the right version, do a search on here failing that Burp will know the part number.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 09, 2013 11:27 am

HR,

you keep mentioning that phrase "excessive resistance".
"Open circuit" is an infinite resistance, super-excessive, and guess what, nothing will burn when exposed to it, simply because no current will run. So, instead of this magic phrase I'd be looking for shorts, zero resistance, as this normally is the cause for burning things.
Then also, measuring electronics with a multimeter set to Ohms is trying to fix a space shuttle with a wooden hammer. Chances are you'll measure over semiconductors, it will tell you zilch.
Also you don't answer questions asked, you admit that you didn't actually burn stators but just replaced bits, and I am guessing here that you prefer to replace things until it seems to work, this instead of systematically following the advice given to you.
Be my guest though, and goodluck, I'm outta here.
But DOWNLOAD the workshop manual for this bike off the net, there is an astonishing lot in there which you, clearly, need.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 13, 2013 11:38 pm

BuRP wrote:...measuring electronics with a multimeter set to Ohms is trying to fix a space shuttle with a wooden hammer.

Bump Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 am

BuRP wrote:...measuring electronics with a multimeter set to Ohms is trying to fix a space shuttle with a wooden hammer.

Bump Bump

HELLRAISER, there's any reason for assuming is a CDI problem that keeps burning stator?

At this stage I wouldn't assume anything...assuming is just guessing.

For identify a electrical problem you need to start testing/ measuring circuits from a wide area to a short area...need pacience and sistematy aproach...test, test and reduce the "area" where the failer can be.

BRP electrical wiring is very simple...print a copy and grab the multimeter.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 21, 2013 10:09 pm

Mauser wrote:
BuRP wrote:"Did you try new sparkplugs?.

Hmmm and I thought my piggy was the only 1 with 2 plugs StirPot

Can you do a dual plug conversion on a piggy? Easy on a Porsche but have not taken my piggy apart yet?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down