Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XR Burning Oil - How does my head/bore look?

Go down

XR Burning Oil - How does my head/bore look? Empty XR Burning Oil - How does my head/bore look?

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:02 pm

Hey All,

I recently bought a 2000 XR650R supermoto that the owner claimed was recently rebuilt. The thing was/is spotless. I asked him what all he replaced/inspected, and he says that he inspected the bore/piston, and they were fine so he left them as is. Well, the thing is burning oil at a decent clip (though it's only really visible if you engine brake down to a stop, then crack the throttle, which gives off a small blueish white cloud) so I pulled the head to check it out for myself.

First thing I noticed was a fair amount of buildup on the exhaust valves. Doesn't really look like just carbon deposits either. Almost looks like corrosion or something? I've rebuilt quite a few F4i's, but those all had pretty pristine heads. Here's a pic:
XR Burning Oil - How does my head/bore look? Pictur10

Next thing I noticed was some wear on the cylinder wall. It almost looks like a very thin layer of metal has flaked off from the surface of the bore. You can feel the edges of this mark:XR Burning Oil - How does my head/bore look? Pictur11

What do you guys think I should do? Pull the piston and check the rings? Do I need a new sleeve?

As far as the oil burning goes, the only thing else I could think of would be bad valve seals (but even then, I wouldn't think it would burn as much as it does). Is it common for those to need to be replaced?

Thanks in advance for any info. Hoping I can get this thing back on the road soon...

Back to top Go down

XR Burning Oil - How does my head/bore look? Empty Re: XR Burning Oil - How does my head/bore look?

Post  Mauser Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:54 pm

Poor show double posting on another forum tears
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=999153
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

XR Burning Oil - How does my head/bore look? Empty Re: XR Burning Oil - How does my head/bore look?

Post  Guest Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:04 pm

Kevlar,

that 'peeling' may be the nicasil plating coming off. This can be re-done, ditto for the head. As soon as the jug is off I'd scrutinize the bottom end too, better be safe then sorry later.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down