Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 Empty Re: My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)

Post  Guest Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:03 pm

Interesting, some pictures of the Aussie radiators would be nice.Bananatool 

Back to top Go down

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 Empty Re: My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)

Post  Guest Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:56 pm

Edit - the best Value for money ,
i know there are some rads which are 2% better at cooling but cost 100% more , go figure .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:46 am

Cheap radiator's are good in my book Wink 

About this stage of the bike build there was no real "da-taa!, it's finished".... Instead I quickly bolted it all together, literally rode around London to get an MOT, and then it was shipped down into Morocco.

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20131104_040_zpsf1580661

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20131110_008_zps70d7ea8c

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20131103_013_zpsd738b8e6

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20131105_036_zps521708c0

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20131104_077_zps713fc6f5

The three bikes we prepared

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20131104_032_zpsbd361305

Great time had by all

The bike ran brilliantly, but did have a few teething issues - the countershaft seal started leaking, fixed in Zagora

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20131106_018_zpsa8592867

And the rear rack fell to bits, also fixed

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20131106_027_zpse4d85a25

And with my flash Wilbers rear shock, plus wound up front fork settings, the side stand was too short, as proved when the bike fell over in a garage. So another stop at a local welder

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20131130_020_zps09d98e66

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:22 am

bigkuri wrote:..... into Morocco.

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20131104_040_zpsf1580661

Oh screw you too Kuri, NO, I'm not jealous at all...
.... nada
... not me
... maybe just a little bit?
Curious I am though - where is this, and what is it???
BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:29 am

It's great eh.

It is desert artwork of Hannesjörg Voth

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 Voth-collage

So you ride from Merzouga on a huge gravel track for 30km, then hit Arfoud. Just past Arfoud you hang a left and just plough off into the desert. The three artworks are still pretty unknown, so there are only small tracks (if that) leading to them - we just had GPS bearings and bush-bashed in a straight line. After 20km or so you come to the first one, the "Stairway to Heaven", the other two are close by.

Top tip, if you visit the Spiral "The Golden Spiral" last, instead of tracing your way back you can simply head due South to the road; 10km of some of the best open desert riding following a large dry river bed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:21 am

If I get a job with Emirates, we will have to get together for a desert ride!
banana 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm

I am not jealous , i am not jealous ,..... ok i am . BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 Empty chicom rads

Post  Guest Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:30 pm

bigkuri wrote:
AURORA wrote:Who did you buy the Chinesee radiator from on Ebay?
winner_racing_international

If you are interested, just hang off a month or two so we can work through getting the right fighting measurements. I need to strip the bike and measure the mods I made to the radiator, then Winner-Racing will incorporate and get on the market. Other than the slight needed tweak to the fitting I am impressed with the radiators - really made a huge difference to keeping the bike cool.
echo your findings, ive fitted simular rads to my bike, abit of hassle to fit as they didnt quite line up[ still not perfect] but they do work a treat in combo with the rad cap, im presently rebuilding my waterpump , honda actually supply a seal kit for them at 30% of a new pump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:54 am

Kuri, grrrrreat find, never ever seen this! Desert Art hmm? Well, so I learn  BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 Empty , i am jealous

Post  Guest Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:25 am

little NZ is too small to have terrain like a full blown desert, looks like ideal country for opening up the throttle....

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:57 pm

Picked up two things today while on holiday in California.... Smile

A nice wee 40mm pumper carb

and....

A 18 hour ex-JCR engine in San Clemente. 18 hours from new... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:42 pm

You will love the carb  2 thumbs 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:20 am

So Smile

The last time I saw my bike was pretty much this

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20131111_003_zpsdd41b03b

A part view.  But I've now been up-close to this new engine I found. As said, a barely used race team engine from JCR, they did 18 hours on it to "wear it in" and then never got around to prepping it for a race bike, so it is nearly OEM.

Peeks through the crate

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20140103_011_zps5c0b7e76

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20140103_017_zps3d316746

Nice and clean

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20140106_004_zps27e96115

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20140106_005_zps4bd00577

Clutch basket is only marked by the plates, just the slightest grove if at all. Nice wear, so starting to believe that it is a really low hour bike. Clean.

I guess this means that as long as I get it back into the UK ok next week, then I will have a 2006 engine with a nearly new top end for sale!  The engine purchase was not planned (or needed) at all, I was just a sucker for the chance, and nice to have a nearly new engine Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:51 pm

Why dont you use your old engine untill it needs some work , then you have spare engine to go straight in , no waiting for parts and mechanics . ( that is what i would do )  rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:02 am

Mad Frosty wrote:Why dont you use your old engine untill it needs some work , then you have spare engine to go straight in , no waiting for parts and mechanics . ( that is what i would do )  rider
What I would do is send Mauser the engine as he likes things clean and shiney; I'm pretty sure he will send you his engine by return and jobs a good un  Very Happy 
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:54 pm

I thought about that, and tempted to keep as a shiny spare for a rainy day.
But... Wifey would kill me, need the cash, and a working engine with recent top end should fetch a decent price. Plus my SuperEnduro needs some work and attention too!... Smile

It's too clean for you Mauser, nothing for you to do! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:28 pm

Well not that many people will ever wonder or care, but bringing an engine back with you from a holiday on a commercial airline flight is a piece of cake  banana  Just double and triple check it has no fluids at all, even a drop on the casing. They do and will check this.

The engine fitted nicely in an old rollie bag, had to pay $60 extra for over-weight, and that was that, picked it up at Heathrow with my other luggage, and bought it home to the sunny ol' UK  banana 

shiny

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20140117_13_59_41_Pro_zps84dfc8d1

My build up: Big Red Dog... ;)  - Page 2 WP_20140117_13_58_49_Pro_zpseb86c610

When my wife leaves to visit her Mum next week it'll be installed on my coffee table to bolt all the covers back on, check valves, then transplanted into the bike in the next 3-4 weeks Smile Pics to follow.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:28 pm

How much did you pay for it if you dont mind me asking ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:16 pm

Loads, in USD.

Last edited by bigkuri on Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:21 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:59 pm

Well it better be very fecking special for that price   naughty , that is the most expansive engine i have seen .
( unles we are talking brand new honda engine which is priced astronomicaly  Shocked  )

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Kuri I think you will need the smog of / air pump block off kit as that is the californian engine version , but you probably already know that .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:19 am

Oooohhhh you Twit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now you've warned him, instead of keeping quiet as a mouse waiting for Kuri to start it, finding out it runs shitty if at all, incapable of finding the cause and next putting it up for a song so I can buy it for peanuts!!
Well done my man, great, thanks, I owe you one!  beat head 

Good on you Kuri, looks awesome!  Bump 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:41 pm

razz 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 pm

Hah!
Just wondering who wants the old engine with all that work to it Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:43 am

bigkuri wrote:Hah!
Just wondering who wants the old engine with all that work to it Wink

I do! bow 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:16 pm

How much for the old engine ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next