Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XR No 5

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

XR No 5 - Page 4 Empty Re: XR No 5

Post  Guest Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:21 pm

You are brave , i would just take it to bits for the spares , but thats me .

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:37 am

Mad Frosty wrote:You are brave , i would just take it to bits for the spares  , but thats me .

I would have completly rebuilt it as a project, powder coated frame etc I have a newish set of off-road wheels with OEM tyres in the garage along with a loom, switch gear, stator, headlight etc  BRP smile bikes never seem to pop up locally for me !!!
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Mauser wrote:
Mad Frosty wrote:You are brave , i would just take it to bits for the spares  , but thats me .

I would have completly rebuilt it as a project, powder coated frame etc I have a newish set of off-road wheels with OEM tyres in the garage along with a loom, switch gear, stator, headlight etc  BRP smile bikes never seem to pop up locally for me !!!

Wasn't local for me I'm in south Wales.. Anyway not all good news. Needs a cam and rocker arms at least.. Not sure what to do with it now. Put it on the back burner for a bit..
XR No 5 - Page 4 IMG_20140731_114210
XR No 5 - Page 4 IMG_20140731_114224
XR No 5 - Page 4 IMG_20140801_081933
XR No 5 - Page 4 IMG_20140801_082025
XR No 5 - Page 4 IMG_20140801_081912

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:44 am

Do the cam and rockers typically wear out or was this bike neglected/not serviced.My old XR500 1982 lasted 20 years with original cam and rockers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:19 am

There good engine and not known to wear anything if looked after, your lucky on your 500 most engines won't last with no or little oil.... BRP smile 
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:10 am

If you decide to sell some parts from it i am after the whole wiring harness/loom including the cdi and ignition coil , it could be the US or the Euro model .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:12 am

Mauser do you know if Paul has any spare parts left ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:29 am

Mad Frosty wrote:Mauser do you know if Paul has any spare parts left ?  

He has just brought another 2 bikes...one was off-road use only...you know the type without any meaningful numbers....somehow having a CRF450 frame number won't get it on the road lol....I jest you not and the second is a nice SM full bike. Don't get your hopes up as Paul has several frames with V5's which I'm sure he intends to build up...if you after a loom email the guy on ebay breaking a US spec machine...called AndyBox cannot guarantee anything about him you take your chances lol....Paul's ringing me today I will ask him about your bits and see what he says....why would you want a lovely US spec wiring loom, they don't fit into the stator and from memory I don't think they plug directly into the US regulator...but not 100% sure on that just rember the plug on the UK might have an extra earthing point where as the US doesn't need it...not a big job but worth noting  listen up 
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:37 pm

Mauser wrote:There good engine and not known to wear anything if looked after

Yay & Nay.... they will fail if one habitually starts it to impress whoever is within a radius of a mile, ie wide-open revving the thits* of it! Do that and witness the camlobes eating the rockers, simply because there's no oil there yet. It takes a surprising long time to get oil there, on some engines (I won't mention Ducati here, no, not me...) several minutes even.
This also is the reason why on some heads a 'cup' is designed in the casting, right under the lobes - to hold & retain oil, purely for those who start their engines the loony way.

* Thits yes, same as Bhoobs  BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:31 pm

Mauser wrote:
Mad Frosty wrote:Mauser do you know if Paul has any spare parts left ?  

He has just brought another 2 bikes...one was off-road use only...you know the type without any meaningful numbers....somehow having a CRF450 frame number won't get it on the road lol....I jest you not and the second is a nice SM full bike. Don't get your hopes up as Paul has several frames with V5's which I'm sure he intends to build up...if you after a loom email the guy on ebay breaking a US spec machine...called AndyBox cannot guarantee anything about him you take your chances lol....Paul's ringing me today I will ask him about your bits and see what he says....why would you want a lovely US spec wiring loom, they don't fit into the stator and from memory I don't think they plug directly into the US regulator...but not 100% sure on that just rember the plug on the UK might have an extra earthing point where as the US doesn't need it...not a big job but worth noting  listen up 

I think there is something wrong with my electrics , the green wire comming from the ignition coil to the CDI looked bit coroded in the connection point so i decided to change it just to find out that its all black under the insulation it looks like it is burnt , and now the bike does not start  beat head , so the ignition coil or the CDI its toasted or both  tears 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 20, 2015 8:33 pm

Hello again, been a while.  So I sold the XR I built and kept the cheap nasty one and have done nothing with it until the last few weeks.  Frame etc have been sent off for powder coating (again) and I had a go at rebuilding the top end of my motor which is nearly done.  Just waiting on cam bearings and I can put it all back together.

XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0209

I will get some more pictures when I get the frame etc back.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 21, 2015 7:29 pm

You love it dont you BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 21, 2015 8:15 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:You love it dont you BRP smile

I do enjoy it yes BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 23, 2015 8:44 am

Motor is done just waiting on the covers from the powdercoater, and the rest of it too.

XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0212

XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0210

Also bought myself a cheap blast cabinet, I was going to try make one but this was cheap so went with this.

XR No 5 - Page 4 Screenshot_2015-05-23-08-37-32

Should help with the rest of the crusty mess. Got some soda already so will have a go next week when it arrives.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 23, 2015 10:24 pm

Keep us updated , oh and what is the list of work to the engine ? Bananatool
( sorry i have mechanical sort of fetish Embarassed )

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 24, 2015 9:51 pm

It had new rockers and stage 1 cam, checked the valves, piston and cylinder. Everything else looked mint so left it as it was.

I need measurements from a rear wheel to see how much the sprocket side differs from disc side to the rim to build my rear wheel if anyone can measure for me please.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 26, 2015 11:51 am

Mad Frosty wrote:( sorry i  have mechanical  sort of fetish Embarassed  )

Would this perhaps involve hammering, screwing, nailing and the like?
If any of the aforementioned turns you on pls find another forum, I'd suggest Carpentry or General Woodwork.... razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 28, 2015 3:07 pm

Had one of my covers back from powder coating and painted the exhaust header pipe..

XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0269

XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0270

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:35 pm

Frames back

XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0417
XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0419
XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0421

Also done a diy oil sight tube while it's all apart
XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0422

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:45 am

Nice..... and now tell us what's in the biiiig Honda box?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:54 pm

BuRP wrote:Nice..... and now tell us what's in the biiiig Honda box?

Nothing exciting I'm afraid, NSC50 scooter

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:10 am

Daayumm...

was hoping to hear you've got an unopened crate containing a virgin pristine 2007 Piggie banana
Oh well, we all dream BRP smile
What's your plans once finished, will you flog it again or ride it for a change? Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:38 am

BuRP wrote:Daayumm...

was hoping to hear you've got an unopened crate containing a virgin pristine 2007 Piggie banana
Oh well, we all dream BRP smile
What's your plans once finished, will you flog it again or ride it for a change? Bump

Now that would be nice, I did have one of the last new ones that came through the shop, but that was ages ago.

Haha funny enough I would like to ride this one! Only sold the last one because I had this one. So far it owes me less than £1000 with all the work and parts.. So far!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:45 am

XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0425
XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0426
XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0423
XR No 5 - Page 4 DSC_0427

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:46 pm

OK B45HER,

now pls tell us what happened since? Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:13 am

BuRP wrote:OK B45HER,

now pls tell us what happened since? Bump

Hello again, bike got stolen 2 years ago so had a dabble with a few other bikes and ended up with another XR.. will post some pics up soon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum