Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

fuel tank ??!!

Go down

fuel tank ??!! Empty fuel tank ??!!

Post  Guest Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:50 pm

l was looking for a bit of a larger fuel tank whats the best and all . Any tips are welcome , l find my riding requires a bit more distance
any feed back is welcome , l see a clarke tank and ims whats ones thoughts
thanks mike

Back to top Go down

fuel tank ??!! Empty Re: fuel tank ??!!

Post  Guest Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 pm

bit bigger?  I went a lot bigger...10l to 26l which is from a range of 140km's to 350km's and still counting  banana 

see my thread http://www.xr650rforum.com/t1899-ims-26l-install

Cheers
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:18 am

l missed out on a new ims tank a while back on ebay, bought one today its a Clarke model 16.3 litre which will be great for my riding time , a little more milage .
mike
fuel tank ??!! Greatwhitenorth014_zps05971506

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:39 am

l purchased this clarke tank like l said 16.3 litre model . is their any thing l should know about this tank l thought l read some where they had issues . l did want a ims but whated a used one a liitle less coin .
mike
fuel tank ??!! Clarke163litre_zps4df96e11

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:58 am

I have the same tank and have had several Clarke tanks with no troubles. The only leakers I've heard of were IMS?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:52 pm

was wonder why my decals l made for the fuel tank on my orginal tank bubbles up , the orginaals didn't l removed them as they were quite a bit of damage from fall and stuff , l replaced the decal once again and used a soapy soulation and the decals looked great but again they bubbled up or had many air pockets. l quess l need to purchase Honda decals for the tank was wondering why this is happening to a home made decal and not to the honda orginal decals
any thioughts
mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:56 pm

I think your problem lies with the tank allowing petrol vapour to pass through the plastic and then it causes the decals to bubble....
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:08 pm

hi Mauser
funning thing that the orginal decals didn't bubble up , just my home made ones l traced the orginals before removeing them with see through paper and cut my decals to match , over night or a bit later they start to lift or bubbles and looks like hell. l will try a set of orginals hope they say perfect .
l can remember when l restored my 81 xr 500 r plastic tank it was faded quite badly and l used specail sealer and painted honda orange/ red turned out great but again after some time it started to bubble , l found my old xr and now the paint has been removed but faded , well just a old blaster
mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:19 pm

OK but I am 100% sure I saw it somewhere that the petrol fumes caused the bubbling, maybe Honda adhesive is better ?
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:40 pm

not sure but if l remove tank and really clean it and let sit for some time then apply , and cure longer ??!! Decal wise
just thought some one might have a cure , l like my bike and wish too make it look good as well
mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:50 pm

Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:13 pm

thanks for the link , might help will try this coming spring . its very cold here now so l do not work on stuff in the winter garage too cold even when heated . if l could convince the wife l would have it the basement so l can get a few items ready for next season ??!! Must be dreaming . Or getting old ??!!
thanks all for info related
mike

Back to top Go down

fuel tank ??!! Empty fuel milage

Post  Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:00 am

i can personally recommend the fcr40mx carb for extra milage, my xr gained 30% better fuel economy with this carb & std airbox, you need a nos adaptor boot to use it with the std airboot, plus a heat gun to blow mold f/tank due to the cable arrangement, the bonus with this is improved performance and throttle response. ps- ive also got the clarke 4.3 tank[ actually 16 imp litres]i run two petcocks to make full use of the capacity without having to lay the bike over to get the last couple of litres

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:27 am

temporay kiwi
can you explain your double petcock please , l just may doo this as well
l havn,t had this bike long, purchased it this past fall , not too sure what range l was getting with it the orginal mileage meter wasn't on the bike it now has a digatal unit not sure how it works yet .
what range were you getting with the orginal tank and what range are you getting with the clarke now and did you have orginal carb for a bit with the clarke tank , so what your range with your mods tank and newer carb 40mm make
thanks mike

Back to top Go down

fuel tank ??!! Empty fuel milage

Post  Guest Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:57 pm

i made a alloy flange plate that i screwed into thru the tank , i first tried to screw mt the extra petcock just to the plastic tank, this however was not secure enough due to how thin the clarke tanks plastic is, i cut out a small peice of 2mm alluminum, drill hole for petcock filter tower to pass thru, plus two undersized holes to screw thru, pre threaded holes to match petcock flange, dropped it into tank pushed petcock thru, lightly held plate while starting screws, applied jb weld to mting side of petcock, screwed up tight, the alloy plate was the same shape as petcock, just approx 1.5 times the size, then fuel lines need a T connector, i got a max of 11k/L out of std carb by basicly idling along at 80kph, normal 100kph cruising gave 90-100kph, , on trail rides - i.e. giving it heaps of throttle 5-7k/L, so incredibly thirsty, this i beleive is due to the choke bore nature of the carb, when i mildly modded the mtr the milage didnt increase, i then installed the fcr40-mx carb [ which i foolishly had the std f/tank cut & plastic welded to enable fitting]  this immediately gave better milage and performance, i.e. with generous use of throttle on backroad riding it returned 130k's till reserve, trail riding 11k/L, then i modded mtr alot more including handmade airbox and the milage decreased considerably, i.e. 7-8k/L on trailrides, performance was increased appropriately though, then i modded the mtr more to gain more higher rpm power, carb size increased to 43.5mm , camshaft retimed for more overlap, shortie stepped headers, this has now got me amazing milage, i.e. 15k/L average, plus more power with better spread to boot, i have also converted the fcr carbs for l/hand throttle cables, i basicly didnt need to blow mold the clarke f/tank  then, i did slightly to try it out , seems fairly easy to do, highly recommend opening up your airbox sidecover, it helps the mtr breath easy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:54 pm

well l received my new tank today and it is like new from Forida USA , the last owner sold his bike .Keeping the clarke tank ,
what do l need to know more as far as cable routing or any think that comes to mind . thanks mike
fuel tank ??!! Greatwhitenorth026_zpsc681c14c

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:52 am

Ive got the same tank. Gives me 270-290 ks geared 15/48. The most iv fueled it to is 16.4 litres after having to lay the bike on its side to get all the fuel to the pet cock.

No stickers or graphic will stick and hang on except I had a set of AMR that was like shit on a blanket

Last edited by Sean on Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : schpelling was cwap)

Back to top Go down

fuel tank ??!! Empty decal sourse

Post  Guest Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:26 pm

thanks Sean
found this link for decals , bit too much for me as l like British Rock like Judus Priest HAHA
thanks for the tip
mike
http://www.amrracing.com/catalog/motocross-graphics/honda-xr650r-motocross-graphic-kit-2000-2010-all-designs-available-227.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:22 pm

Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down