Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pilot jet help needed

Go down

Pilot jet help needed Empty Pilot jet help needed

Post  Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:25 pm

Ok I have a new to me 2000 xr650r the bike came pretty much stock except for a PCM t-4 slip on and a k&n filer. When I first got the bike it would not idle at all when I pulled the carb apart I found out why the original owner did not re-jet for the filter or slip on. I took this opportunity while it was apart and purchased and installed the uncork kit. I installed everything correctly with the help I have found on this website and plopped a 68s pilot and a 178 main that came with the kit but the bike did not want to idle when it was cold and when trying to set the fuel screw the idle will not decrease when turning the screw out counter clockwise like the instructions said indicating that I needed to increase the pilot size. So I did, a 70 had the same result and a 72 that I just put in has the same result I have since removed the k&n filter and installed a twin air filter thinking it should allow less air to pass but still the same lean pilot. I am about 600ft above sea level and outside air temp is in the 30's today. The largest pilot even showing on the chart is a 72 which is in there, thinking I had an air leak in front of or on the carb I sprayed it down while running with starting fluid but it did not increase the idle speed. My question is this has any one ever had to put any pilot in larger than a 72 or do I have another problem? I wanted to check in with everyone before plopping in the 75?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Back to top Go down

Pilot jet help needed Empty Re: Pilot jet help needed

Post  Mauser Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:55 pm

Slipon shouldn't make enough difference to require a re-jet, you really need to go back to basics, stock/foam filter and with standard uncorked jets/carb isolator rubber & air box restrictors out your bike should run just fine...are you 100000000% sure your carb is clean ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:04 pm

I started to disassemble everything and found the fuel screw addy was not put back together properly and is missing the washer. The just had an o ring and spring in there backwards from what the part Fischer showed, the prong was on the carb body side vs the screw side. I ordered a new Assy but put things in the right order for the mean time. Hope this was my problem? banana 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:29 am

Did you wait at least a minute between each 1/4 turn of the fuel idle screw or did you just turn it and expect an immediate response?

Does the carb leak any fuel out of the over flow when you have the bike on the kick stand?
What level did you adjust the float at?
Did you install a new needle valve on the float?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:42 am

Cinman37 wrote:I started to disassemble everything and found the fuel screw addy was not put back together properly and is missing the washer. The just had an o ring and spring in there backwards from what the part Fischer showed, the prong was on the carb body side vs the screw side. I ordered a new Assy but put things in the right order for the mean time. Hope this was my problem? banana 

Yeah with what you described, that will mess it up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down