Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

vapour tech problem

Go down

vapour tech problem Empty vapour tech problem

Post  Guest Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:29 pm

Anybody else encountered this with a trail tech vapour? it only happens after riding for for a little while.

vapour tech problem Trail_11

Electrics are like witchcraft to me but i'm guessing it might be down to a bad earth, any pointers to were the earth points are to save me a bit of time or any other advice would be great thanks  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

vapour tech problem Empty Re: vapour tech problem

Post  Guest Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:03 pm

I have no experience with this unit , but have heard enough about them to avoid them and keep the stock clocks .
Have you checked all the connections and cables for damage ? As it worked before so something might just got loose , should be easy to do on a simple loop like this .

Did any water penetrated inside the unit ? Does it have its own battery ? mechanical damage ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:25 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:I have no experience with this unit , but have heard enough about them to avoid them and keep the stock clocks .
Have you checked all the connections and cables for damage ? As it worked before  so something might just got loose , should be easy to do on a simple loop like this .

Did any water penetrated inside the unit ? Does it have its own battery ? mechanical damage ?

Yup heard the same cheap and cheerful units but don't like water  listen up looks to me like a bad connection or power issues.

Give this guy a ring he's OK on the phone I rang him once...
Clive Thorsby
29 Fullelove Road
Walsall
West Midlands
WS8 6BW
United Kingdom
07940|105581
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:10 am

Mad Frosty wrote:I have no experience with this unit , but have heard enough about them to avoid them and keep the stock clocks .
Have you checked all the connections and cables for damage ? As it worked before  so something might just got loose , should be easy to do on a simple loop like this .

its had the same problem with it since i got the bike, sometimes it wont happen at all for weeks then it happens every time the bikes started after a minute or two but lately it seems worse.

the electrics is one thing i haven't really touched when i have rebuilt the bike.

i might just spend the day taking it apart and checking each connection and cleaning them up, just wondering if anybody might know were the earth points are on the bike to give me a starting point.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:12 am

Mauser wrote:

Yup heard the same cheap and cheerful units but don't like water  listen up looks to me like a bad connection or power issues.

Give this guy a ring he's OK on the phone I rang him once...
Clive Thorsby
29 Fullelove Road
Walsall
West Midlands
WS8 6BW
United Kingdom
07940|105581

cheers Mauser if i don't have any luck in the next few days i'll give him a call  2 thumbs 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:44 am

Yes, the Vapors fail if hard-mounted on the triple clamp, even when in the TT cradle with silent blocks!
Mount them to plastics or why but NOT on the triple clamp, it vibrates waaaaay too much.

TrailTech gives an excellent service btw, contact them!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:43 pm

BuRP wrote:Yes, the Vapors fail if hard-mounted on the triple clamp, even when in the TT cradle with silent blocks!
Mount them to plastics or why but NOT on the triple clamp, it vibrates waaaaay too much.

hey BuRP cheers for the pointers, i'll check on that.
i'm just off out to start stripping it down and check all the connections on it.
i did send trail tech a email but i didnt get any responce of them, i might have to give them a phone if i dont have any luck today.
cheers again guys  BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:49 pm

BuRP wrote:Yes, the Vapors fail if hard-mounted on the triple clamp, even when in the TT cradle with silent blocks!

hi BuRP i tried checking out what you said but i couldnt figure it out  beat head could you enlighten me a bit more please on what you meant. 
did i mention i'm crap with electrics haha.

also would a bad regulator cause these problems?
i noticed in the box of spares i had this was in there.
vapour tech problem 2014-013

and it has one that looks like this fitted.
vapour tech problem Regula10

i have cleaned down all the connection and given everything a good scrub and squirt of wd40.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:10 pm

The power-supply of the Vapor isn't a problem, in fact it even works without (ie off its own battery) one.
It will run off (unregulated!) DC, AC and primary HT (~400V intermittent) for the coil (although this is not so clever to wire it this way - which they tell you too!), so whatever feeds it is fine - no worries.
Mind though, if the battery is stuffed then an interrupted/intermittent supply will affect it, so I'd say renew it first.

My previous remark above was about the mounting of the thing, it does not like hard vibrations - so that was about mechanical things bru, zilch electrics  Bump 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 4:15 pm

BuRP wrote:The power-supply of the Vapor isn't a problem, in fact it even works without (ie off its own battery) one.
It will run off (unregulated!) DC, AC and primary HT (~400V intermittent) for the coil (although this is not so clever to wire it this way - which they tell you too!), so whatever feeds it is fine - no worries.
Mind though, if the battery is stuffed then an interrupted/intermittent supply will affect it, so I'd say renew it first.

My previous remark above was about the mounting of the thing, it does not like hard vibrations - so that was about mechanical things bru, zilch electrics  Bump 

cheers for getting back to me BuRP, the battery is only a few weeks old but i might have to order anoter one just to make sure and rule that out completely.

its currently fitted to a piece of metal thats attached to the top yoke(i might be wrong but i think its the standard clock bracket) with some rubber mounts underneath it.

after cleaning and scrubbing down all the connections and changing the regulator back to the standard one im going to take it out for half an hour and see if i have any luck rider 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:41 pm

well i had a little ride out and the same thing happened again so i went back to the drawing board.
i did the cardboard trick to the battery, followed all the connections from the trail tech and its got the thermo, speedo plugged in and its wired up to the rear light, cleaned the only earth i could find on the electrics and took it out for attempt No2 but the same thing happened again  beat head 

i have noticed one thing though, the bike can idle and rev as high as i want it to in idle and the trail tech works fine, its just as soon as i start riding it that it happens  scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:38 pm

I have the same Vector on my XRR and it started doing the same thing the other day. Found the power wire shorting to ground, fixed that and it is fine now. Does your light work?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:45 pm

PeteN95 wrote:I have the same Vector on my XRR and it started doing the same thing the other day.  Found the power wire shorting to ground, fixed that and it is fine now.  Does your light work?

Hi PeteN95, i'll double check it again tomorrow, one of the cables did look a bit rough so i rewired it.
yeah its wired into the rear light and it seems to be working fine(the light is i mean)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:32 am

Well today i have replaced the battery(again) rewired it all and checked all the connection with no luck.

I have finally got a response of trail tech informing me its down to a dead battery  beat head so i have messaged them back telling them that its been through two new batteries so i know its not that.

anybody else got any idea  shrug 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:14 am

Yes, I bet it is a dry solder joint on the pcb, a result of vibration... send it in to them?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down