Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

engine oil in air box

Go down

engine oil in air box Empty engine oil in air box

Post  Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:08 pm

l noticed oil dripping from a nipple on the side cover for the air element , what are the causes of this
thanks mike

Back to top Go down

engine oil in air box Empty differences from 03 to 04 model

Post  Guest Sun Jul 20, 2014 3:18 pm

l just came from the garage and noticed that my 04 RIP has a pcv valve and exhausts out between the swing arm , On the 03 model it has a hose from crankcases to the air box . l see on my 04 that the vent hose was plugged that goes to the air box

Back to top Go down

engine oil in air box Empty Re: engine oil in air box

Post  Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:01 am

you maybe over-oiled your airfilter?
Squash (do NOT wring!) the newly oiled filter between a kitchen cloth until no oil is absorbed anymore, then mount it (and wash the cloth  BRP smile )

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:01 am

the oil is from the crank case vent, my air fiter is a k and n , its dry. took out for another spin no oil this time but had to add a little engine oil
mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:27 am

" k & n "

There's your problem!
Chuck it (because they do not filter fines), replace with a foam filter, overhaul the engine et voila, you'll be good to go again!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:32 am

Hold a (any!) cotton-gauze filter (which is never to be dry, they must be oiled with a special oil!!!) against light.... and conclude with me you can see through it.
If you then still believe that such will filter fines I should tell you about the Smurfs in my backyard who are mining gold for me. PM me for more info on this!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:56 pm

ARE you checking the oil level the correct way? It sounds like oil overfilled engine that is spitting the oil out trough the breather hose . Pretty common issue .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:36 am

thanks guys for the reply . l will get a new sponge air element soon . l had some problems this season with the lost of a engine so l purchased the 03 model its coming along well ,The 03 came with a fresh top end new cylinder , piston ,valves and cam chain . l purchased a tool for swing arm removal from xr650r UK will be in the mail soon so l can remove the 04 engine and salvage what left, so far changed both rims and rear tire and front with Michelin knobbys . Changed plastic from 04 model was a bit better shape and new seat softer and a bit higher. Added a digital temperature inline gauge and thermostat , runs under 180F degrees so far . l used many tips from the forum here to address future problems swing arm drilled out to drain water inside changed rear axle adjuster bolts one had to be drilled out and retapped . Will remove choke plate anti bacfire plate other carb had broken spring so l changed carb . l geared up for top end and hit a couple times 190kph, no shake on steering as well
thanks mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down