Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

another standard carb issue

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

another standard carb issue  - Page 2 Empty Re: another standard carb issue

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:50 pm

R056rx wrote:I've just had a look at my receipts and it was actually a bit more expensive than I remembered. £27.50.
That was from my local Honda dealer.
I've since found a great source for OEM parts, and they are local to me so very convenient. They do post out, but I don't know how much they charge....    http://www.johnoldfield.co.uk

I also use this site to find the part number and get an idea of the price, but they do charge a fortune to deliver!!...  affraid 
http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_motorcycle_parts_block_selection_M30.php?mod_01=7723

sorry for the late reply but my response didn't post for some reason earlier Question and thanks for the info R056rx

yeah i did find if for £20 but they also wanted £30 to deliver it dead horse  haha

i normally use www.fowlersparts.co.uk for part numbers as they let you know if the part has been replaced by another one and i also use doblo's honda, i get a nice 20% discount of them but not for xr parts unfortunately  beat head 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:51 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:33 pounds  greedy feckers  censored 

that not the most expensive i have seen haha  BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:55 pm

and and today i have, cleaned the carb out(again), fitted a 70s idle, set it to 1-1/2 turns out on the idle mix, checked float height.
but i haven't had time to put it back on yet

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:19 am

kirky wrote:Hi all
my xr is running rather poor at 3/4-full throttle, it feels like it looses all power and then picks up again like a lot of other members have encountered.

i have tried searching on here and other places but everything i have tried has not cleared it up.
i was lucky enough to get some help from another forum member and we replaced my needle jet which seemed to of worked but it was wet and i wasn't ridding it ham fisted but now the problem seems to of returned(might of also of been the altitude difference).

here is my current setup.
Hrc intake
scorpion straight through exhaust with custom link pipe.
High flow filter(binned the k&n old one)
needle clip in third clip from the top
airbox plugs are removed
68s idle jet(tried a 70s but bike wouldn't start)
175 main jet
16mm float hight
altitude is 300ft

is there something i can try to rectify this Question 
i also have 178/180 main jets and a 70s idle

thanks in advance for any help  BRP smile

YOUR RUNNING TOO RICH.

Open up the side panel...meaning cut the side panel, covering the air filter, open. Look at pictures of other peoples bikes.

Setting the float level...16 mm. Hold the carb at an 45 degree angle where the float is just touching the plunger on the float valve. At 16 mm, the float should just touch and not depress the float valve plunger.

Jetting FAQs
http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_rejetting_101_how_to_rejet.htm

Last edited by AURORA on Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:36 am; edited 2 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:30 am

R056rx wrote:
I know it's only a rule of thumb but generally 1/4-3/4 throttle is controlled by Pilot/Slow jet
3/4 to wide open is controlled by main jet.

Fixed it for you.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:01 am

kirky wrote:and and today i have, cleaned the carb out(again), fitted a 70s idle, set it to 1-1/2 turns out on the idle mix, checked float height.  
but i haven't had time to put it back on yet

I'm set at 2.5 turns out using a 68S

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:35 am

AURORA wrote:
R056rx wrote:
I know it's only a rule of thumb but generally 1/4-3/4 throttle is controlled by Pilot/Slow jet

Fixed it for you.

Now you've misquoted me Aurora.  Frustrated 

My understanding is idle to 1/4 throttle is controlled by the pilot/ slow jet, 1/4-3/4 throttle is controlled by needle jet and 3/4 to wide open is controlled by main jet. However there is a lot of overlap in these circuits.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:36 am

[/quote]YOUR RUNNING TOO RICH.

Open up the side panel...meaning cut the side panel, covering the air filter, open. Look at pictures of other peoples bikes.

Setting the float level...16 mm. Hold the carb at an 45 degree angle where the float is just touching the plunger on the float valve. At 16 mm, the float should just touch and not depress the float valve plunger.

Jetting FAQs
http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQs/FAQ_rejetting_101_how_to_rejet.htm[/quote]

thanks AURORA, i know when i was running 68s slow and 175 main i had tried every needle clip position which just seemed to make things worse  Question  thats why i thought i would try going up a size and i have been using this as a guide, http://www.xr650r.us/jetting/ which reckons i should be running 178mains,68s idle on the 3rd needle clip position but the bike ran horribly.

i have also tried running the bike(just on idle) with the side cover off and then with the side cover off and the air filter out but it didn't seem to make any difference  shrug 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:00 pm

is a attempt to save a few pennies before the mrs castrates me for spending more money on this carb i came across these, anybody tried them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scooter-Moped-Main-Jet-for-Keihin-CVK-PE-PD-PWK-FCR-PWM-PJ-Carburettors-Size-172-/301286656205?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item46261588cd

fast delivery and half the price of the oem jets as i am now looking at putting in another £100 into this carb and i could of got a pumper for the same amount of money i have put into this  beat head 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:26 pm

Why dont you limp the bike to uncle Frosty this weekend and we do what i have sugested originaly - put my old carbie in your bike   to see how it runs  before you spend more money .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:56 pm

kirky wrote:is a attempt to save a few pennies before the mrs castrates me for spending more money on this carb i came across these, anybody tried them?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scooter-Moped-Main-Jet-for-Keihin-CVK-PE-PD-PWK-FCR-PWM-PJ-Carburettors-Size-172-/301286656205?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item46261588cd

fast delivery and half the price of the oem jets as i am now looking at putting in another £100 into this carb and i could of got a pumper for the same amount of money i have put into this  beat head 

Better quality control with OEM Keihin jets

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:57 pm

R056rx wrote:
AURORA wrote:
R056rx wrote:

Fixed it for you.

Now you've misquoted me Aurora.  Frustrated 

My understanding is idle to 1/4 throttle is controlled by the pilot/ slow jet, 1/4-3/4 throttle is controlled by needle jet and 3/4 to wide open is controlled by main jet. However there is a lot of overlap in these circuits.

Your correct!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:21 am

Mad Frosty wrote:Why dont you limp the bike to uncle Frosty this weekend and we do what i have sugested originaly - put my old carbie in your bike   to see how it runs  before you spend more money .

Haha thanks frosty i might have to take you up on that if i can get the bike running. i cant even get out of the street on it at the moment though without it dying.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:22 am

AURORA wrote:
Better quality control with OEM Keihin jets

yeah i figured as much and cheers AURORA

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:50 pm

You need the genuine parts trust us on this , try this guy he is UK based and quite knowledgeable about the carburettors
http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/mikjets.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:49 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:You need the genuine parts  trust us on this , try this guy he is UK based  and quite knowledgeable about the carburettors
http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/mikjets.html

i will give them a try tomorrow, im going to get it rebuilt in the morning and also check the valves(again) just to make sure they are fine and hopefully get it running enough to make it up to yours frosty. or i might even get lucky and it might be sorted  dead horse haha

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:35 am

It was running before so it should work again if you put everything back as it was before ,
good luck .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:16 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:It was running before so it should work again if you put everything back  as it was before ,
good luck .

cheers frosty, i have been sat around since 7am waiting for this bike stand to arrive and still no luck  beat head 
if its not here in the next half an hour i'm just going to have to leave the valves for now and i will crack on getting it rebuilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:54 pm

You can borrow mine stand if you want , just let me know , sorry for the late reply we had no electricity all day  rant 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:30 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:You can borrow mine stand  if you want , just let me know , sorry for the late reply  we had no electricity all day  rant 

unlucky frosty and glad its back on.
It got dropped off a little while ago so i'm going to start working on it first thing in the morning.
wish i had electrics in the garage so i could at least get the valves checked before putting it all back together

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:53 pm

well i have checked the valves and adjusted them, i had one tight exhaust and one loose intake, they were within limits but not 100% so they are done now.

also tried running the bike with the 70s idle,178 mains,3rd needle clip position and rolling on the throttle it felt good once i was moving but pulling out of junctions the bike was trying to die unless i slipped the clutch and over rev'ed the engine and it was popping and banging like crazy when i was rolling off the throttle.

i got the best result with the mixture screw 2-3/4 turns out

i am going to shot back in the 68s idle and 175 mains and try to limp it up to frostys to see if his carb works any better then mine  bow 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:16 pm

65 pj, 178 mj and the float level its critical .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:65 pj, 178 mj and the float level its critical  .

two week deliver on a 65 idle jet tears 
did you get my messages frosty?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:37 pm

Yes i did get the message , Bad news I went down today  painful

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:08 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:Yes i did get the message , Bad news I went down today  painful

oh no, i hope you and the bike are ok?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:06 pm

Can anybody recommend me a good place to order some OEM carb parts from?

The place i was going to order from(http://parts.hondaofbournemouth.co.uk/) has put there prices up since i phoned them a few days ago for a quote.
i need a gasket set(top gasket is pretty much dead its been apart that much)
65 idle
172main
needle kit and a float valve

if this lot wont work then i think i am going to give up beat head haha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next