Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Best Air filter/Exhaust combo for grunt?

Go down

Best Air filter/Exhaust combo for grunt? Empty Best Air filter/Exhaust combo for grunt?

Post  Guest Thu May 28, 2015 11:31 am

Hey guys what is the best air filter and exhaust combination for grunt, in clean conditions?

Cheers

Back to top Go down

Best Air filter/Exhaust combo for grunt? Empty Re: Best Air filter/Exhaust combo for grunt?

Post  Guest Thu May 28, 2015 3:38 pm

CLEAN conditions?
For our OFFroad beast?
You mean the garage?
May I suggest a blanket or throwover, one that is somewhat heat resistant?

Bump
Any cotton gauze filter (K&N etc) flows most but filters worst, so good for dustfree roadracing conditions. Be careful when you ride it over the grass though, let alone on unpaved paths to the shed, because any fines will go straight through.
Pipe I dunno, it is said that the std headers are best for grunt but cannot verify this.

Back to top Go down

Best Air filter/Exhaust combo for grunt? Empty Re: Best Air filter/Exhaust combo for grunt?

Post  Guest Thu May 28, 2015 4:10 pm

Clean conditions = Supermoto, country lanes, road trips, etc...

What's with everyone bagging out road and supermoto riders?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu May 28, 2015 5:11 pm

Stock exhaust and stock air filter
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 28, 2015 5:32 pm

Full Big Gun improved low end and throttle response considerably, it was night and day compared to the stock system. A touch loud but with the spark arrestor installed it tones it down some.

Best Air filter/Exhaust combo for grunt? 20140712_111034

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 28, 2015 6:57 pm

Pretty sure aftermarket performance parts will give more grunt than stock...

Did you keep the stock carb and airbox with that Big Gun Eddy?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 28, 2015 7:05 pm

Stock carb jetted up, opened up the airbox and carb isolator and XR400cdi.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 29, 2015 10:32 am

I have an FMF Powerbomb header and pipe, twinair filter and gutted airbox. STD carb with 165 main, 68S pilot and B53E needle. Stage 1 cam, STD piston and kibblewhite valve set. This thing pulls like a 12 year old boy at the Playboy mansion.
I have not ridden a BRP using the STD exhaust so I can't compare, only downside is its noisy as hell which is fine as I wear earplugs when riding anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 29, 2015 12:22 pm

Mauser wrote:Stock exhaust and stock air filter

Shoooo ol' Maus', you're now on awfully thin ice my man...... definitely not the std filter!

Jason Woodall wrote:Pretty sure aftermarket performance parts will give more grunt than stock...

Nope Jay, you'd be generally speaking wrong in this. Bigger (diameter) headers will not improve grunt but tops, something to do with the speed of the departing gases. However, BigGun has a different routing of both headers, and with playing around with different length(s) one can gain bits.... but pls don't think H is stupid in this regard.

Great weekend for all!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 29, 2015 12:35 pm

ooeddym wrote:... and XR400cdi.

True too Oddy ( BRP smile ), but only if it's the correct one, identifiable by it's number.
Fwiw, this unit advances slightly more low down, however also allows 1000/min revs more on top.... so be careful here, grenading becomes a lot easier this way Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Cheers for the advice everyone. Still not so sure what the general consensus of opinion is... Haha

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Burp you are correct about the CDI. There has been many discussions regarding the validity of performance improvement with the 400cdi. We switched over two 650’s to the 400cdi and seat of the pants said that the throttle was a little crisper, it idled a touch smoother and felt like it pulled a little better. Was it worth $100, its hard to say.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down