Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fan cooling kit

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fan cooling kit Empty Fan cooling kit

Post  Guest Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:21 pm

Hi,
I bought last year a 2002 XR650R, and am doing a lot of changes, so I may use it on street, Excel Rims 17” lights and so on.
Does anyone knows the best fan cooling kit for it?
Thanks best regards
Paulo

Back to top Go down

Fan cooling kit Empty Re: Fan cooling kit

Post  Mauser Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:54 pm

KTM fan is supposed to be a bolt on fit ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:45 pm

Hi,
Thanks lot, i looked the Trail Tech and Tusk site fankit for KTM models. (did not help much)
browsing ebay, It seems that trail tech Fan cooling kit 19010516 -732-FN1 - fits on some KTM EXC XC-F models, and Xr650R also.
I just have to be sure.
Did not find if any Tusk models for Xr, i'll keep looking.
Once again, thanks for the support.
regards

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:31 am

Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Iancap,

let me just say the obvious here.... you MUST have DC on the bike for that fan!
If that already is the case no problem, but otherwise you'll need to mod/add/convert the electrical circuit.

If you know this (and have it) already then nevermind me, and know more XRR fans read here Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:11 pm

Ups....
Start by saying, thank you.
As i already switched for led headlight, and it works, thought already had DC current.
Major problem... already order a trail tech radiator kit 732-FN1 (same as some ktm models)
Going to try a regular PC 12V fan.. than i´ll let you know.
Regards

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:55 pm

lancap wrote:Ups....
Start by saying, thank you.
As i already switched for led headlight, and it works, thought already had DC current.
Major problem... already order a trail tech radiator kit 732-FN1 (same as some ktm models)
Going to try a regular PC 12V fan.. than i´ll let you know.
Regards
All I would say why are you adding this ?, does your motor actually overheat or just run hot ?. Burpy lives in SA which I would imagine is as hot if not hotter than where you are, I don't think his piggy over heats ?.
You could do a review ?, but you need to tell us what the current bike temp is before and after fitting the fan please ?.
I'm going to tax my bike very soon, and fire her up after changing the oil & filter of course.
Looking forward to getting her on the road at last.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:23 pm

Hello Mauser,

Its better i start from the beginning.
Bought it last 2019, June , a bit damage, the old owner ride it with just a small front light, no speedometer or dashboard. (had no temperature control) so I did not know the normal usual temperature (read on pdf, temperature thermostat valve opens at around 82-90 Degrees)
I only used the bike for a short time, 7 or 8 times, only during weekend in August with weather temp between 30-36 Degrees.
On open road, my legs where hot, no problem, but, in the with the traffic lights, many minutes stop and go, my legs got very hot (could be normal, I do not know)
As the bike was to disassemble, repair and reassemble, I decided, new piston, rings… and so on,  and bigger radiators, and installed an trail tech vapor dash (used from my fmx650).
Talking to a friend, owner of a 2019 Kawa KX450 with Trail Tech Universal Fan Kit Installed, he said, it’s good for the city running helps cooling.
So i said to myself, I do not want to damage this rebuild engine, so ordered TT fan kit also, probably will cool the engine a lit bit in the city.
As soon as I assemble the all bike, i´ll let you know, temp with fan, and without. But for now I still have a lot to do, am also rebuilding my old 1990 650 dominator.
This weekend i´ll try to run the engine a few seconds to test the DC current.
(bough from Paul the engine/water/oil engine covers already painted, to replace mine – cooling system its down again)
thanks
kind regards

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Mar 05, 2020 8:03 am

Ahh I saw your engine covers being painted, I hope your happy with them ?. Paul managed to get the correct colour I hope ?. Have you ever thought about the coolant EngineIce ?
https://engineice.com/dirt/

Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:14 am

...Yes, am very happy with them, the color it’s “ the one”, i talked with him, Paul was very helpful.
Never heard about this coolant “EngineIce”, I used one from Liqui Moly, but going to take a look a this you saying.
Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:34 pm

Hi,
Ok, to DC current to fan. (am just waiting for the TT fan kit)
found the coolant “EngineIce”, closest to me, ebay Spain.
Thankssss
PL

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:10 am

Iancap,

Most of these bikes (issued in several versions) had AC-only power, and also not a lot of it (65W or thereabouts).
A quite common mod was to change the stator (wind more poles with copperwire) or replace it with a bigger one (various versions also, from 100W to 200 (250?) Watt.
Any of these mods is immediately visible if you take the statorcover (lhs) off: if more than 2(ignition)+3(lighting)=5 poles are 'populated' then it has been modded already - so do this?
Mind you, if that's the case then there is no guarantee that the bike has DC however that is quite likely then.... but easy to find out by simply measuring with a multimeter: set it to AC and you'll see 'funny' values if it is DC, and switch then to DC to see the proper value, eg '14.2V' or similar.

Most accessories (LED lights, Fan, actually most hooters also, GPS/USB chargers, and heated grips with their control circuitry) require DC to work.... but if you leave the lighting standard then you only need some DC - meaning the bike may have both AC and DC, and yes, that's confusing but don't yell at me please  razz
If this is the case then in most cases the wiring has been left largely 'standard' but then normally the DC has been "added" to it, starting from the - additional! - regulator!

If you're handy with this kinda stuff then no prob, just dig into the bike and see what you've got.
If you don't like what is there or need to mod things then know that a relatively small total-DC system is easiest to implement.
Wind (= modify!) the std stator or get a bigger one, size 100 or 150W, add a 'RR' (Rectifier/Regulator), then add wiring as needed (do NOT use only the std wires as these are too thin, they may melt!) and build your system to your liking.

Note however, LEAVE THE CPL IGNITION SYSTEM AS IS ! ! ! ... and sorry for my 'screaming' here  Bump
If you are a novice with electrics then have any modding done by someone who knows their stuff, especially also wrt materials choosen like wires, crimpconnectors, sleeving tubing etc, as the wrong stuff WILL give shit!

If you hate me now then know I can live with that, I'm not even sorry for it either.... but reliability is King here, these bikes always stall due to electrical problems - which are avoidable if proper mods have been done, not so with makeshift shit or worse, pre-built 'universal' harnesses (which NEVER fit any bike!).

Why such a long epistle written?
These bikes don't break, are utterly reliable (and nice, fun, exciting etc), and I would hate to see yours will let you down due to electrical hassles!
Do all this correct however and you'll ride it forever with a smile on yer mug!  banana
Enjoy the pig!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:04 pm

Hi BuRP,
Thanks for sharing the knowledge you have about this matter.
Of course I do not hate you at all, you’re helping me.
I did not answer you before, because am trying to call the previous owner to clarify some doubts I have. (I know he upgrade the loom wiring and stator)
Then I’ll let you know
Meanwhile I saw a video, how to install the DC regulator you said.
Best regards

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:54 am

lancap wrote:Hi BuRP,
Thanks for sharing the knowledge you have about this matter.
Of course I do not hate you at all, you’re helping me.
I did not answer you before, because am trying to call the previous owner to clarify some doubts I have. (I know he upgrade the loom wiring and stator)
Then I’ll let you know
Meanwhile I saw a video, how to install the DC regulator you said.
Best regards
Unless your bike is like me (US Version) the rest of the world models should have a rectifier fitted as standard behind the headlight to run the horn etc.
I would have guess there is enough DC power on the bike in stock set-up to run your fan, worth trying first then look at upgrading the stator if needed ?.
Main regulator is under the seat by the CDI module, and the two small units behind the headlight are the rectifier to change the AC to DC and another regulator.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:16 am

This model its european,
but like i said the front was clear, he just had a small bulb on the front, not a usual headlight/front light.
The was no horn or blinkers (I just bought two weeks ago). some parts are missing.
I said i have dc current, because i installed two rear turn led lights and it worked.
Only yesterday night i found the DC regulator, it was wrapped in electrical tape, near the engine coil (he moved place)
jut need to know the stator power.....
yesterday received the Trial Tech fan kit 732-fn1 - just for the record, fits perfectly on the large radiators.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:51 pm

lancap wrote:This model its european,
but like i said the front was clear, he just had a small bulb on the front, not a usual headlight/front light.
The was no horn or blinkers (I just bought two weeks ago). some parts are missing.
I said i have dc current, because i installed two rear turn led lights and it worked.
Only yesterday night i found the DC regulator, it was wrapped in electrical tape, near the engine coil (he moved place)
jut need to know the stator power.....
yesterday received the Trial Tech fan kit 732-fn1 - just for the record, fits perfectly on the large radiators.
74 watts is EU/UK spec see my site....scroll down to the bottom.
http://www.xr650r.co.uk/specs/specs.shtml
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:15 am

Iancap,

that Regulator MUST be taken out of the insulation tape and mounted somewhere so that it will be cooled by air as it gets hot!
Sounds to me you have some work to do correcting a few niggles! Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:36 pm

Hi Mauser,
Only 74 Watts? It means 6,1A, uhmmmm??!!!, this might be too low for the engine and Polisport halo led headlight, turn led lights and the TT fan kit.
Just The TT fan requires 3Amp, 30W….. do you know how many Amps for the engine?
(still waiting for the previous owner answer, about this)
Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:40 pm

Hi BuRP,

I already did it, (took it off) - originally its on the front, going to move there.
thanksss

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:09 pm

BuRP,

I confirm, the 5 poles are 'populated' out of the stator,
colors:
1-White
1-Yellow
1-Blue
1-Green with white stripe
1-Light orange (not sure, it looks like salmon colour)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:20 pm

lancap wrote:BuRP,

I confirm, the 5 poles are 'populated' out of the stator,
colors:
1-White
1-Yellow
1-Blue
1-Light orange (not sure, it looks like salmon colour)

Should have 7 wires in total ?, 5 for the stator and another pair for the pickup ?. Wouldn't think the engine needs much but not sure how to calculate this.... Bump
I guess if you had a clip on ampmeter you might be able to get a value.
Don't worry about it to much it will either work or it won't.... listen up
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:08 am

...only 5 wires.....
1-White
1-Yellow
1-Blue
1-(not sure, it looks like salmon colour)

Yes a have  had a clip on ampmeter.
asap, i´ll do some measures.
thankss

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:14 pm

lancap wrote:I confirm, the 5 poles are 'populated' out of the stator

Excellent, that means "stock-standard".
Don't change it unless you are going to mount heated grips or the like, big consumers.
Those 75 Watts are probably enough and a bit flexible for short moments, when the fan kicks in for instance (startup current is higher).

An Am(pere)meter will hardly tell you anything, I'd not bother - unless you're going to rev the engine on a stand with EVERYTHING switched On .... but what's the point?
Correct what's wrong, make it work, connect the fan (and LED headlight) and go ride, you'll find out it will work or not- if not mount a bit-bigger stator!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 18, 2020 10:10 pm

.... "go ride, you'll find out it will work or not- if not mount a bit-bigger stator!"

Yes, i'll do as you say.....but with the virus had to stop all my work.
Am Using a friend´s garage....2 kms from my house....from today's on, its more difficult to circulate....bahhhhhhhh
But as soon as i have news I'll let you know....and I'll send some pictures.
Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:24 pm

Fan cooling kit Dsc_0713
Fan cooling kit Dsc_0715
Fan cooling kit Dsc_0714

Trail Teck fan kit assembly.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content