Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XR680 build/rebuild

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

XR680 build/rebuild - Page 2 Empty Re: XR680 build/rebuild

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:42 am

xrmanu wrote:680 is alot of torque

Je ne parlez pas Francais, je m'excusez - however, don't you think it's atrocious voor een Belg om dit niet te kunnen? BRP smile Bump
680/650 = 1.04 >> 4% more torque for a 680cc when compared to a std bored one!
You also say "a lot" more, quite like plenty dudes do on the net..... but it's only a measly gain of 4% ?
I'll never do it, boring out the perfect nikasil bore to gain what, next to nothing? Suuure, cam, valves, carb etc, but if you do that to a 'std' angine then you basically have the same - less bragging rights of a 'big bore' engine of course.
Quite different if you hop-up a 250 to 300 or 320 or thereabouts, that IS a real difference!
My 2c's, feel free to splash out dear dollar on a 680 kit naughty

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:18 pm

Hola, een kritische Belg in Zuid-Afrika? Of ben ik mis? BRP smile

It's a 1.04 increase in "cc" not in torque .... I'm not bragging about HP here but it's not difficult to feel an increase in torque a "seat of the pants" way. It's not my first XR/bike.

I matched the weight and compression of the old HRC piston who I was using before , that one is lighter than a OEM piston. The only thing that I changed when I did rebuild my bike from a crank failure back then was the big bore so I can compare the 650 with the 680 output.
I used a scratched cylinder that my Honda dealer had .
The bigger valves and stage 2 cam really come alive with 680 and so I have full effect from my previous mods.
I have build a few engines with a "normal" 650 setup (stage 2 cam,HC piston stock bore ,FCR, CDI etc) since than ,so I have several references. Even had a friend with a full HRC kitted bike to compare,side by side.

The 680 set-up is what Honda was using in the end of the 650R baja days (info from TT )
All those mods are overkill for a normal guy and off-road use but so pleasant on the street/track in supermotard trim.
And I have people seen spending way more money on things less useful... lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:08 pm

Awel Meneer Manu, neen, een bovenbuurman van je die nu down under woont Wink

You build very nice bikes Mister, so please no offense and please carry on too BRP smile
Only 1 point of criticism if I may, which is you mount road tires to them - the poor things, they never get properly dirty Bump
Anyway, any cc-increase IS a torque increase, tit for tat, linear, pro rata, it's all the same.
And read back what I said: if all else is same you'd be hard pushed to feel the difference, however if your pants talk clearer than mine pls mention the brand, style and size here Very Happy
But of course yes, a lighter piston (and/or rod) you'll notice for sure, ditto cam, valves etc... but that's not 'same' you'll agree?
Now for the nice bit: what piston did you decide on? Any pics perhaps, also from your no doubt ported head? Come, show off a bit, as said you build nice 'uns clown

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:17 pm

After a forum ride out a few years ago.Belgian summer,rain for days and 40% off road ...on slick with slight cuts. Slip'n'slide  naughty
Prob not dirty enough for you ,Sir. Bump  But it's a start...

XR680 build/rebuild - Page 2 Afbeelding_035

XR680 build/rebuild - Page 2 Afbeelding_039

XR680 build/rebuild - Page 2 Afbeelding_041

A year later ,same ride out but with the 450X on rain tires...

XR680 build/rebuild - Page 2 Afbeelding_044bis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:14 pm

J'ai bien vu que tu parlais français sur 17Pouces Manu BRP smile
Je suis retombé sur ton vieux sujet avec aucune photos ahaha.

You're bike is very very very very beautiful ... Pfffff she's sick Bump
But for being perfect you should to put Beringer brake Embarassed (you love not this brand ? or it's too expensive ?)

When I see you're bike I would do a CRF rear like you.
How many time do you spend for the fender and right/left panel ?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:05 am

Oh hell no Manu,

I take back what I've said: Welcome to the Dirty Buggers!!! Bump
Maybe you should get another one, built & rigged for knobblies.... looks like you like the slidin' bits BRP smile
But pasop nou, there's a risk that the street one may be somewhat neglected then! listen up

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 pm

I have the 450x for enduro. The 650R isn't really suited for the terrain here in Europe...
That's us ..enduro trip Morvan (France) this year,I wear the goggle cam.Watch in HD please.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=695933527114594&set=vb.307704402604177&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=695046397203307&set=vb.307704402604177&type=3&theater
https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=695960163778597&set=vb.307704402604177&type=3&theater

And you find some vids here of ride outs on a 650L and 650R in Umbria ,Italy...
https://www.facebook.com/2Motors/videos

Last edited by xrmanu on Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 pm

XAmériX wrote:J'ai bien vu que tu parlais français sur 17Pouces Manu BRP smile
Je suis retombé sur ton vieux sujet avec aucune photos ahaha.

You're bike is very very very very beautiful ... Pfffff she's sick Bump
But for being perfect you should to put Beringer brake Embarassed (you love not this brand ? or it's too expensive ?)

When I see you're bike I would do a CRF rear like you.
How many time do you spend for the fender and right/left panel ?

Send me a Pm for details . Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:27 pm

XAmériX wrote:
I had a Beringer set-up before (8 years ago or something).
The Brembo caliper that I have now is ex-Moto GP stuff (from the 90s..)...titanium pistons etc... Works well combined with the Brembo 16mm master and the Braking wave. Rolling stoppies @ 80,90 km/h if I want. Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:47 pm

The CRF is great too !

Ex GP ? Waouh, you're lucky.
How many he coast ? Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2