Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Aftermarket Gas Tanks

Go down

Aftermarket Gas Tanks Empty Aftermarket Gas Tanks

Post  Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:16 pm

(I looked for related posts but didn't find anything shrug )

While I have both the stock tank and the Acerbis Sahara, I find the stocker too small for day tripping off road and the Acerbis too big for local off road day tripping.

I'm looking for an alternative that will get me through a day's riding without having to plan around gas stops.

Soooo..... who's running what, why and what's your experience been??

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Gas Tanks Empty Re: Aftermarket Gas Tanks

Post  Focker Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:24 pm

I think you would be happy with a Clarke 4.3. My XR had one on it when I got it and I wished later that I would have kept it. I would go with the natural to help see the gas level easier.

A draw back of the Clarke is that gas gets trapped (left side) below the petcock...To get it all out one has to lay the bike down and swish the fuel over to the petcock side. If you ride like me...Laying my bike down was part of the daily ritual. mad as heck

Aftermarket Gas Tanks Myxrr01

Aftermarket Gas Tanks Xr04f
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Gas Tanks Empty Clarke Tank

Post  Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:36 pm

+1 for the Clarke 4.3

140 miles and I'm looking hard for fuel.

Like Focker said, requires some tipping to get the fuel to the petcock side of the tank.

Aftermarket Gas Tanks Img_7316

Last edited by Backwoods Boogie on Mon Jun 15, 2009 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : changed notify option)

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Gas Tanks Empty I think IMS generally has better fit and quality

Post  Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:30 pm

A lot of guys I respect like the Clark stuff. But I hear and see a lot of fit problems with the Clark. And most important nearly all of the race teams use IMS. Plus, IMS is a lot more common and deals on a used one are easy to find. A friend of mine just bought a used IMS 4.3 off the Yahoo Group for $35!
And I saw a brand new on go for $120 on eBay a few months ago by a friend who is retiring from racing.
I'll help you find one if you want.

Johnny Rocco wrote:(I looked for related posts but didn't find anything shrug )

While I have both the stock tank and the Acerbis Sahara, I find the stocker too small for day tripping off road and the Acerbis too big for local off road day tripping.

I'm looking for an alternative that will get me through a day's riding without having to plan around gas stops.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:37 pm

I must be in the minority....I don't find the Acerbis to limit tight trail work ect. Plus it offers radiator protection that the other tanks don't. I just keep the fuel level low when playing around local on the trails.

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Gas Tanks Empty I'd use IMS

Post  Guest Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:04 pm

Bump wrote:A lot of guys I respect like the Clark stuff. But I hear and see a lot of fit problems with the Clark. And most important nearly all of the race teams use IMS. Plus, IMS is a lot more common and deals on a used one are easy to find. A friend of mine just bought a used IMS 4.3 off the Yahoo Group for $35!
And I saw a brand new on go for $120 on eBay a few months ago by a friend who is retiring from racing.
I'll help you find one if you want.
Plus, Precision COncepts makes a great 1X radiator guard, tank support for cheap that works with the IMS 4.6 and 3.2.

Johnny Rocco wrote:(I looked for related posts but didn't find anything shrug )

Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:47 pm

I'd go IMS 4.6 gallon. It offers enough fuel to give a good range and keeps the Pig feeling like a dirt bike rather than a KLR, err dual sport.

I rode with the big Acerbis last season and it has it's strengths but it does affect the feel of the bike especially when the going is slow and technical. Those big wings which give the radiator protection also have a lot of leverage when the bike gets leaned over.

My winter mods were the IMS 4.6 and a Edelbrock pumper and the combination has me really liking the big pig again.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:16 am

I really like my Clarke 4.3. Very good range without being big and bulky. The weight is also carried low in the one lobe. Its a pain if you get that low and have to tilt it over to get it but at least you know you are running out!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:36 am

Yep, my Clarke 4.3 works great for me. Never tried the IMS 4.6, but I've heard good things about it as well. I'm prolly going to pick up a big Sahara for looong hauls, but I think the 4.? range tanks are the best all-around tanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:51 pm

I have used the stocker, the IMS 4.6, and the Clarke 4.3, and have all three tanks, so here is what I think...

IMS-
The IMS tank is of better quality than the clarke tank. The IMS tank easily fits over the frame, and easily bolts to the bike, and the shrouds easily fasten to the tank. The IMS tank has a slightly larger range too. However, the IMS tank definitely feels wider and bulkier than the Clarke tank. Also, with the IMS tank, your seat is at a slightly steeper angle where it slides onto the tank.

Clarke-
The Clarke tank is narrower than the IMS, and aids in the handling of the bike. It doesn't make the bike seem as heavy, and its just as wide as the stock tank, so riding the tank on uphills isn't a problem. However, the Clarke tank does not like to be bolted on easily. When I was putting mine on, it wouldn't sit down on the little rubber mount on the frame; I really had to push it down to make it fit over the rubber mount so I could bolt it down, and strap down the back. Also, the fuel petcock is in a different position than the IMS tank, so it made getting the fuel line on just a little bit harder as well. The shrouds also had to be bent slightly to be made fit, but I had to do that with the IMS tank as well.

Overall-
The Clarke tank HANDLES better, but is a lot more of a pain in the A** to get on. The IMS tank fits a lot better, has a little longer range, but makes the bike feel bulkier and heavier.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:33 pm

Aftermarket Gas Tanks Bikepics-1704298-fullAftermarket Gas Tanks Bikepics-1704294-fullAftermarket Gas Tanks Bikepics-1153933-full

Hodakaguy wrote:I must be in the minority....I don't find the Acerbis to limit tight trail work ect. Plus it offers radiator protection that the other tanks don't. I just keep the fuel level low when playing around local on the trails.

Hodakaguy

Same same.... 2 thumbs

me been using the 25ltr tank and just too lazy to change it back to the clark tank...well...the real reason is it's hell to remove the 2 screws at the middle underneath the tank...

Using the clark tank,i am not able to use the radiator fan...so,i am just happy with the radiator fan,so the 25ltr tank is the option for me at the moment. nice

Back to top Go down

Aftermarket Gas Tanks Empty Sahara is a pain getting on and off.

Post  Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:25 pm

+1 on the PITA to get at the screws mounting to the upper part of the frame. I have to use a 1/4" universal joint with an 8" extension to get those bastards on and off. If anyone knows a great easy way to do it that would be neat. I've almost stripped the threads on the mounts already. maybe welding on a little piece to rest the tank bushings on as a guide.

I find that i have to put the mounting screws on in a very precise order: Right side lower bolt, right side upper bolt, left side lower bolt, left side upper bolt.

Hodakaguy wrote:I must be in the minority....I don't find the Acerbis to limit tight trail work ect. Plus it offers radiator protection that the other tanks don't. I just keep the fuel level low when playing around local on the trails.

Hodakaguy

AJsgp wrote:Same same.... 2 thumbs

me been using the 25ltr tank and just too lazy to change it back to the clark tank...well...the real reason is it's hell to remove the 2 screws at the middle underneath the tank...

Using the clark tank,i am not able to use the radiator fan...so,i am just happy with the radiator fan,so the 25ltr tank is the option for me at the moment. nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:12 pm

I had a 4.3 & the Sahara, I finally sold the Clark for the same reasons HG mentioned. I've seen a few bikes get into the side of the mountain & rip the radiators nealy off. I also run a 4" Spal fan for traffic issues & it works so well with the Acerbis I have no incentive to remove it. If you only run 3 gallons, it actually carries the fuel lower on the bike than the stock tank does.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down