Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dual sporting the BRP...

Go down

Dual sporting the BRP... Empty Dual sporting the BRP...

Post  Guest Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:07 pm

OK so the speedo is done--still needs bike light, horn, headlight and switches. I realize that BD kit is a great way to go but I'm cheap Dual sporting the BRP... 295806 and $500 is a bit much for me Dual sporting the BRP... 289879
Just ordered via my local independent shop the following:
A3606 25w\25w bulb pack--the two filiments together should give me around 50w--plan is to wire the switch for 25w low and both filiments on for highbeam.
Tail light universal/with stop light
Hydraulic brake switch
Bar control
Keyed switch
Mirror folding Sean what's his name brand
Grand total of $100

Should have it next week and will post pics. If this all works out correctly it should run off the stock stator--ac. Hoping to get it dual sported with speedo for under $150. Dual sporting the BRP... 726351 We'll see. Dual sporting the BRP... Icon_question

Back to top Go down

Dual sporting the BRP... Empty Re: Dual sporting the BRP...

Post  Guest Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:56 am

akasy:

A keyed on-off switch is a good idea. Let us know how that works out.

The 25w/25w is cool for "on the cheap" projects, but you might be bummed out performance wise (esp. with the OEM plastic lens).

At 50w, I'm somewhat disappointed. The OEM glass replacement lens with a 55w bulb is significantly brighter.

Keep us posted!

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 11, 2009 5:12 pm

If you need a keyed switch I got a new one still wrapped that came with my bike (previous people did not use it). I'll post a picture if you wish and all it cost you is postage, I will never use it.

Edited to say, you can rewind the stator yourself. The wire is like $10-$20, and then some quick drying epoxy. Pwrtrippin did mine.

Back to top Go down

Dual sporting the BRP... Empty Keyed switch

Post  Guest Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:09 pm

modette wrote:If you need a keyed switch I got a new one still wrapped that came with my bike (previous people did not use it). I'll post a picture if you wish and all it cost you is postage, I will never use it.

Edited to say, you can rewind the stator yourself. The wire is like $10-$20, and then some quick drying epoxy. Pwrtrippin did mine.
Thanks for the offer on the keyed switch--should have asked first but I have already ordered and paid for one--maybe someone else can use it. On the rewind--I have looked at the posts on it and it looks doable. I've got an electronics background and may get to it but all I want is sufficient power to run the basics. If I need more power after the mods I will give the rewind a second look. thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:48 am

modette wrote:If you need a keyed switch I got a new one still wrapped that came with my bike (previous people did not use it). I'll post a picture if you wish and all it cost you is postage, I will never use it.

modette:

Count me in for the switch, if you still want to let it go.

I'll PM you my address.

TIA

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:58 am

Dave P wrote:

modette:

Count me in for the switch, if you still want to let it go.

I'll PM you my address.

TIA

Let me find it, I'll post pictures later on...but otherwise it is yours.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:22 am

Dual sporting the BRP... Dscf6010

Dual sporting the BRP... Dscf6011

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:14 am

Cool.

A little hacking and splicing and it should work fine. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Dual sporting the BRP... Empty Info

Post  Guest Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:28 am

Dave P wrote:Cool.

A little hacking and splicing and it should work fine. Very Happy

The one I bought came today and it is similar. Mine came with a mounting bracket that goes under one of the handle bar bolts.

Back to top Go down

Dual sporting the BRP... Empty Dual Sporting

Post  Guest Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:03 pm

Just finished up installing all the dual sport stuff on my XR. It now has tail\stop\license light combo mounted under the lip of the rear fender. High\low\horn switch on the left bar--also has an off position for the headlights. I modified the light bulb holder to a dual filiment arrangement. Right now I'm running the 3606 which gives me 25w on either setting--investigating a low wattage dual filliment bulb that will fit the original lamp and give me 25w low and mayber 50w high--still looking. I did solder the contacts together on the 3606 and it did give me 50w using the single contact of the original lamp but I decided to modify it to a dual filiment so I would have a true high\low. Found I needed to take the bulb out of the original tail light as it was too much load on the system. Tried my CRF230 horn by jumping it to the original bulb holder for the tail light and it sounded off--now looking for a CRF230 horn to put on the XR. Speedo works and is accurate--odo works and trip odo works.
So far I think I have all the basics for dual sporting it installed and working for around $160 total. No turn signals of course and no way to power my GPS but that will come in time.

Back to top Go down

Dual sporting the BRP... Empty Coming along?

Post  Guest Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:35 pm

akasy wrote: So far I think I have all the basics for dual sporting it installed and working for around $160 total. No turn signals of course and no way to power my GPS but that will come in time.
So? How is it coming along? Update?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 18, 2011 12:52 am

Modette,
I would like to know how I do the stator myself, could you help me ut on this with pwrtrippin please? where is he located?

Thanks,

BM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 18, 2011 12:56 am

Akasy, Any updates how your mod finished? Do you have any pics of the mods?
Please let us know.

BM

akasy wrote:Just finished up installing all the dual sport stuff on my XR. It now has tail\stop\license light combo mounted under the lip of the rear fender. High\low\horn switch on the left bar--also has an off position for the headlights. I modified the light bulb holder to a dual filiment arrangement. Right now I'm running the 3606 which gives me 25w on either setting--investigating a low wattage dual filliment bulb that will fit the original lamp and give me 25w low and mayber 50w high--still looking. I did solder the contacts together on the 3606 and it did give me 50w using the single contact of the original lamp but I decided to modify it to a dual filiment so I would have a true high\low. Found I needed to take the bulb out of the original tail light as it was too much load on the system. Tried my CRF230 horn by jumping it to the original bulb holder for the tail light and it sounded off--now looking for a CRF230 horn to put on the XR. Speedo works and is accurate--odo works and trip odo works.
So far I think I have all the basics for dual sporting it installed and working for around $160 total. No turn signals of course and no way to power my GPS but that will come in time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down