Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

strange clutch problem

Go down

strange clutch problem Empty strange clutch problem

Post  Guest Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:21 am

Hello fellow XR lovers.
after performing a downhill jumpstart in second gear, my clutch now won't disengage. I can shift into any gear, powershift, the engine sounds fine, the clutch all seems to work properly when pulled (we took it apart and looked at all of the operation) but the rear wheel won't freewheel, it is always connected to gear now. it's the strangest thing. when you pull the lever, all the disks loosen up normally, but no disengagement.
has anyone ever seen this on an XR? what are we missing on this one? scratch

Back to top Go down

strange clutch problem Empty *update!* Al Baker saves the day!

Post  Guest Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:20 am

Put in a call and spoke to a tech. first thing he says is it must be a 2000 or an 01, so I knew he knew something. turns out the bushing on the back of the clutch basket had seized. this was not apparent because it stayed in the basket and couldn't be seen, and I never had a clutch probem on a Honda so there was lack of practical experience with that particular clutch on my part.
A $14 part and some de-galling will do the trick.
I knew it had to be something fairly simple as there isn't much to a clutch set-up to begin with. I've been a mechanic over 20 years but we always learn new things which makes it fun, but not so much fun when your own machines are down.
thanks to all who read my post and thought I was nuts. I thought I was for a moment myself seeing the clutch work, but not disengage.
wow.

Back to top Go down