Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Go down

ELECTRICAL PROBLEM Empty ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Post  Guest Wed May 30, 2012 3:29 am

ok, i have a 96 xr-650L i recently purchased. i installed a new ignition switch because the old one was bad. i rode the bike for a few weeks now and lately it has been very tempermental about spark. i turn it over once and it pops off, but i continue cranking and no spark! i ran an inline tester just to make sure. other days it pops right off and purrs like a kitten. then 5 minutes later you go up to it and turn it over, NO SPARK! ive checked everything i can think of on it. any help!!!? please any advice is appreciated thanks!

Back to top Go down

ELECTRICAL PROBLEM Empty Re: ELECTRICAL PROBLEM

Post  Mauser Wed May 30, 2012 7:56 am

stev011193 wrote:ok, i have a 96 xr-650L i recently purchased. i installed a new ignition switch because the old one was bad. i rode the bike for a few weeks now and lately it has been very tempermental about spark. i turn it over once and it pops off, but i continue cranking and no spark! i ran an inline tester just to make sure. other days it pops right off and purrs like a kitten. then 5 minutes later you go up to it and turn it over, NO SPARK! ive checked everything i can think of on it. any help!!!? please any advice is appreciated thanks!

You do know this is the 650R forum and a 650L forum listen up massive difference between the bikes. The R bikes don't come with a electric start or even a battery, infact the US model is so basic it's untrue, no brake lights, indicators, main beam, ignition switch lol.
Anyway you will have to go over your ignition circuit and check all your connections, kill switch and ignition switch right down to the stator and make sure you got no broken wires.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 30, 2012 10:28 am

Nah, no worries, the sparking circuit's the same, you just have an ignition switch.
It's a problem with either a bad connection (corroded somewhere?) or with an intermittent short, water or dirt. So, take all connectors loose/off, clean with electric contact spray (ask your friendly supplier), put some acid-free vaseline on, and reconnect the lot. Lube (light oil) the ignition switch too, soak it even, and your woes should be gone. Oh, the HT-coil I'd take off the frame, and clean&lube those contacts as well (yeah, those surfaces are also contacts).
As an aside, I'd to the total electrical system like this, never mind if it's an indicator only, it's a good habit doing this.

So, when all will be fine again...... you can flog it & buy an R razz
Cheers!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down