Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

No reserve problem & fix

Go down

No reserve problem & fix Empty No reserve problem & fix

Post  Mauser Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:09 am

Ok twice now my bike has run out of fuel....stuck her on reserve and got no less than 1/2 mile then she conks out...I had stripped the tap and found everything fine, today same thing ended up tilting the bike to get the extra fuel from the left side.
Anyways got home and dropped the tap off again and this time remove the plastic fuel screen and guess what I found....
No reserve problem & fix Pipe
Least I know why she had no reserve fuel, soldered the hole and cleaned it all up inside and out and hopefully when I run out I can select reserve and have some fuel coming through.
Makes you wonder how a hole can wear in the pipe like this ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

No reserve problem & fix Empty Re: No reserve problem & fix

Post  Mauser Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:09 am

"Thanks for the info Mauser, appreciate you taking the time to show us the problem and the fix"

Hi no problem beat head

Last edited by Mauser on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:42 am

Old fuel causes this problem Mauser....... so ride more regularly will ya?
razz

Oh, and tinning (soldering) of the brass pipe will prevent this to an extent - but you've now done that, so...

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:50 pm

BuRP wrote:Old fuel causes this problem Mauser....... so ride more regularly will ya?
razz

Oh, and tinning (soldering) of the brass pipe will prevent this to an extent - but you've now done that, so...
Does old fuel actually cause copper pipe to "rust" through ?, I never new that I have no idea about the bikes histiry as it was a US import.

Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:43 pm

Yes it does, and even worse/quicker if there's some part alcohol in the fuel. You US chaps, got any mixed in your fuels ? ?
If you think that smoker-premix will be "better" i.e. less aggressive due to the oil then think again, it does exactly same.
Modern petrol is naphtha mainly, a bit different than in the old days, and I've seen many a brass mesh eaten away on fueltap assemblies - but we've got nylon these days, no worries.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down