Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rewound stator voltage output??

Go down

Rewound stator voltage output?? Empty Rewound stator voltage output??

Post  Guest Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:20 pm

Ok, so I got my baja designs kit all hooked up (used; came with the bike), ran great for a few with the signals , etc on. Then the regulator/rectifier crapped the bed on me. Hooking a multimeter up to it the regulator/rectifier outputs 5 volts, but at rev drops to 3-1 volts. Ordered a new one.

I hooked up the multimeter to the stator and it's outputting 35 volts at highish revs. Is this normal or way too much causing the regulator to blow? I thought I would ask before I hooked up the new one I just ordered.

Back to top Go down

Rewound stator voltage output?? Empty Re: Rewound stator voltage output??

Post  Guest Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:01 am

Well I got the new trail tech regulator/rectifier and I just decided to plug it in. I'm still getting 5 volts, rev it and it drops down to one.

Lower the RPMs = higher the voltage still.

With a brand new rectifier? I get 35v in the same plugs coming from the stator, then I plug said stator wires into the rectifier and it does this. wtf? What is going on. Frustrated Everything that can be unplugged is (kill switch, Baja wiring harness).

-red wire from rectifier to red wire from multimeter
-black wire from rectifier to black wire to multimeter; both touch the frame together

When I plug everything it, it reflects that of the test. Lights dim, get dimmer with revs. Sad

Ideas??

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:36 am

Yo Slapper,

It sounds you've got to investigate logically, i.e. sequentially as per explained in the following link:

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/pdfs/Troubleshooting-3P-PMG-&-RR.pdf

I liked their logical approach and would say it seems foolproof, no insult intended at all. Also their stuff is good and their delivery even better, lightning quick in fact.
Once you've found your problem - pls share here? Would be interesting to know what actually was wrong, just curious in fact.

Back to top Go down

Rewound stator voltage output?? Empty Did you call BD?

Post  Guest Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:00 am

They are very helpful over the phone and have great customer service on broken parts that shouldn't really be breaking. Plus you are an hour later than BD so that might help call after work.

Good luck!

bamfslap wrote:Ok, so I got my baja designs kit all hooked up (used; came with the bike), ran great for a few with the signals , etc on. Then the regulator/rectifier crapped the bed on me. Hooking a multimeter up to it the regulator/rectifier outputs 5 volts, but at rev drops to 3-1 volts. Ordered a new one.

I hooked up the multimeter to the stator and it's outputting 35 volts at highish revs. Is this normal or way too much causing the regulator to blow? I thought I would ask before I hooked up the new one I just ordered.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:10 pm

Check the connection to the battery or the capacitor, make sure the output from the regulator rectifier goes to both the battery and the supply end of the wiring harness. If yout reg/rect does not see a 12v reference that smooths out the load, it will be around 5v at idle and drop to next to nothing once the revs come up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down