Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My piggy was boiling today coolant reserve tank blewn up

Go down

My piggy was boiling today coolant reserve tank blewn up Empty My piggy was boiling today coolant reserve tank blewn up

Post  Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:27 pm

Have been on test today with my bike.
The auditor let in run for about 20 minutes on idle for measuring the "co" (exhaust).
Then the water started boiling and the coolant reserve tank blew up beat head 
I was warning him but he did't follow my afford to stop the engine when not moving the bike. It has no fan as u know, men I'm "eaten up" as we use to say in Austria not funny 

Back to top Go down

My piggy was boiling today coolant reserve tank blewn up Empty Re: My piggy was boiling today coolant reserve tank blewn up

Post  Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:06 pm

Use big fan , they do boil fast when stationary . beat head 

Back to top Go down

My piggy was boiling today coolant reserve tank blewn up Empty Re: My piggy was boiling today coolant reserve tank blewn up

Post  Guest Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 pm

send the auditor (inspector?) the bill!!! dummy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:42 am

Remove the thermostat and operate the bike with out one. I bet your thermostat is bent.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:06 am

Look here how the overflow connection looks like Shocked 

My piggy was boiling today coolant reserve tank blewn up Behaelter2

And here a pic from the blewn tank:

My piggy was boiling today coolant reserve tank blewn up Behaelter

Does Your overflow connection (it is inside on top of the tank) look like mine ??? Or is it open?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:31 am

Never mind the blown tank, your engine is fooked!
If it boils for that long that the tank melts.... then the engine is toast!
Next time when you need (read: MUST) idle it for long run a hosepipe over a radiator, this works well when doing work on it with a running engine.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:36 am

Besides, an expansion tank (and this one for sure!) is not supposed to blow up - like yours did by the looks of it!
The cap on it must have sealed, and it is not supposed to, so check that when you get a new one. The cap must ventilate to the atmosphere, better know it. This then also will tell you that the engine is way too hot, it will leak coolant which you will notice.

Last edited by BuRP on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:38 am

Oh, and lastly, the testing the idiot did is invalid as the engine was WAAYYYY too warm - but I suppose you could not care less?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:52 pm

I hope, the engine has no damage in case of boiling water! I suddenly pressed the kill switch when the tank blew up. Maybe at lot of the 65oigers had boiling water, but when the reserve tank is open maybe many did not recognice - I guess? Why some give a 1.6 or even a 1.8 radiator cap instead of the 1.1 which also is built on mine?
As I wrote in a posting before, I told the inspector after a 10 minutes about that there is no fan - he did not hear to my words. If the engine is harmed I'll send him the bill!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:56 pm

The pressure in the cooling system stops at the rad-cap, the tank is at normal atmospheric pressure - or supposed to be. Yours clearly blew up hence my remark regarding the cap, it did seal instead of vent like it is supposed to do.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:42 pm

That inspector must be an idiot , if i was you i would take the top end apart to give it a good check , you might be lucky and all is fine but its best to be sure .Crying or Very sad 

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down