Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Engine Electrical Help

Go down

Engine Electrical Help Empty Engine Electrical Help

Post  Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:13 pm

I have been chasing this issue for a month.

Engine bogs under load. (As though it is starving for gas OR not getting the electrical charge to fire the gas.) Will also intermittently back fire. Bike still ride-able. Starts easily.

2005 XR650R less than a thousand miles on it.

This is not a carburetor issue. Happens with both original carb and Edelbrock pumper.

This is not a plug issue. On third brand new plug.

I don't have an amp meter high voltage protector required in the manual to test the electrical.

Have removed all extra electrical sources. Currently only using the the connections from the original wiring harness. Have unplugged connections to the headlight and taillight.

Don't want to take it to the local dealer. Afraid they will charge me $100 an hour just to do replace all electrical parts, etc without even testing.

So my question to you all is... If this is going to be a buy and replace project. Which electrical part should I start with? In other words which part tends to go out first, and/or could be the cause of this symptom.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Engine Electrical Help Empty Doesn't sound electrical to me...

Post  Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:22 pm

What do I know but it sounds mechanical. It's just bogging? Not popping under load? By under load you mean it won't do it when you rev it up on the stand? Only happens under the load of pushing the bike through the gears, up a hill, etc?

If it was ignition you might be able to tell from the color of the spark. Never done it but heard about it. Hard to say without being there. But it sounds to me like either too much gas somehow, and that is usually what backfiring is, or the intake is choked down somehow.

Back to top Go down

Engine Electrical Help Empty Re: Engine Electrical Help

Post  Guest Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:52 am

I would check valve clearances and air filter.

Cheers,
Phil

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:03 pm

Valve clearances re-checked two nights ago. Exhaust spot on. One intake was a little tight. - Adjusted, not valve clearances.

Last night I clipped one half inch off the plug wire at the boot. Also installed a new fuel line that had larger inside diameter and no pinch at all getting to the carb. Bike seemed to run better in the garage but could not tell for sure because it was raining and I could not take it out and put it under a load. Tonight a new coil arrives along with a TM40 carb. I am going to install the coil and ride the bike to see if I have finally solved the problem. Will not put the TM40 on until after the problem is solved, since I am sure this is not a carb problem.

Back to top Go down

Engine Electrical Help Empty Electrical issue

Post  Guest Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:56 am

Do you have a stock stator or an aftermarket one?
I have had two stators crap out on me they were moose stators and I had a simular problem. the lighting windings shorted into the cdi windings and it ran like crap. Also possible water has entered the stator and rusted the flywheel or pickup coil. Just some ideas for ya.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down