Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel flow question

Go down

Fuel flow question Empty Fuel flow question

Post  Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:48 pm

I've plumbed in my Acerbis 24L tank and I've got a question about the fuel flow to the carb. The inlet to the carb points straight up, so in order to prevent the fuel line from kinking and giving a low flow rate, the pipe goes up out of the carb and then gently curves around to join the two fuel lines from the petcocks.

The pipe from the carb goes up and bends around to come back down again, but the height of the bend is slightly higher than the petcock, by about an inch.

Is the fuel only gravity fed, so when the fuel level reaches the same height as the highest part of this curve the fuel flow will stop?? Or is there some scientific shenanigans like syphoning or vacuums occurring which means the carb will suck in the fuel even if this part of the fuel line is higher than the level of fuel in the tank?  Question 

I know the easy way to find out is ride it until it stops, but that then might involve pushing! dummy

Back to top Go down

Fuel flow question Empty Re: Fuel flow question

Post  Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:59 pm

unfortunately the Acerbis does hold fuel lower than your carb inlet - that is the reason that I got the IMS 26l tank. It has a vacuum driven pump that lifts the fuel from the lower spots and dumps it in a sump area where the fuel is fed to the carb.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:29 pm

Yes that is correct , the acerbiss tank has some fuel left in the bottom section and you cannot use it , thankfully its only a small amount so you can live with that .

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down