Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip

Post  LeoXR on Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Got myself a (second) BRP 05 and want to prepare it for a long trip with luggage.
Would be great if you can help me during this proces.

Back in the days when i bought my first BRP the best resources were Pig Pen and Borynacks so i went back on the interweb and found : Pig Pen / BRP issues

Question : are there more issues you would check / tackle ?
LeoXR
L Rider

XR650R Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Re: Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip

Post  BuRP on Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 am

Luggage..... NO hard luggage bro, soft stuff only!
Your subframe will love you for it, and a Giant Loop will store whatever you'll need unless you need to take the Parrot, Granny and the kitchen sink with you.
BuRP
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post  LeoXR on Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi BuRP,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I wil NEVER use hard luggage again since i once hurt my lower leg badly on a aluminium case. censored

Soft luggage it will be and we try to make something like this to support the subframe.

https://www.off-the-road.de/out/pictures/generated/product/1/900_600_85/otr_koffertraeger_pannier_rack_honda_xr_650_r_1.jpg
LeoXR
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 am

Yo Leo,

then consider yourself lucky, as loads of guys break their legs as a result of hard panniers!
For those not knowing this, when you threaten to fall you stick a leg out... which then, planted on the ground will get under the pannier - logically so, they're shite things made for BMWs & Harleys only!

However, that's actually not why I mentioned it: hard luggage "hammers" on the subframe of bikes, they instantaneously put pressure with all their might (a hammer blow!) contrary to soft luggage which will deform during suspension-impacts, which therefore deliver a longer pressure rather than a single short blow..... and XRR-owners must know that our subframes are NOT suited for loading with any luggage, it is simply too weak for such.

Your 'reinforcing'-choice seems a nice one, pls post a pic when done Bump
BuRP
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  LeoXR on Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:40 pm

BuRP wrote:Yo Leo,
then consider yourself lucky, as loads of guys break their legs as a result of hard panniers!

I was very lucky indeed. I could not walk normal for 2 days during that holiday.

BuRP wrote: XRR-owners must know that our subframes are NOT suited for loading with any luggage, it is simply too weak for such. Your 'reinforcing'-choice seems a nice one, pls post a pic when done Bump

I did research on the internet and saw a lot of warning signs from broken subframes. Even considered buying a complete steel subframe from globetrottin.com but that is a permanent solution and a wanted a removable for when i am not on a holiday but on a SM track / offroad trip for instance.

When we get started with that project i will post pictures.

For now i am building a replica renazco / fishersaddlebag / seats concept saddle. The OEM seat is to small for my butt  BRP smile
LeoXR
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  BuRP on Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:27 am

[quote="LeoXR"]
BuRP wrote:The OEM seat is to small for my butt

All here know Dutchmen are tight-arses, they're either notorious or renowned for this fact all over the world.
Know how the copper-wire was invented?
A Scotsman and a Dutchmen fought over a cent! listen up
Strange then that you wanna splash on a Seats Concepts seat, they're not really cheap hmm?

If some Focker here feels I'm insulting your nation then know this: je rijdt eigenlijk een wat zeldzame motor voor dat lage landje, niet dan? Houwe zo! Bump
Yes, that was a helluva insult too, but enjoy the old girl in any case, she's a cracker! razz

BuRP
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  LeoXR on Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:36 pm

BuRP wrote: Know how the copper-wire was invented?
A Scotsman and a Dutchmen fought over a cent!  

Very Happy Very Happy  Very Happy  Never heard this one before and it`s a realy good one !

We are known to be cheapass ya.
And so , following a good tradition, i am building a seat myself that looks ( i hope ) very like one of the above

You are also right about the fact that a xr650r is a rare enduro beast in the Netherlands.
It`s mostly driven as a SM overhere.
LeoXR
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  LeoXR on Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Progress sofar :

The backside every bold / bearing checked or put in new (waterproof) grease. When the back is put together the front wil get the same treatment including new springs and oil.

Ordered some stiffer springs for back and front with Hyperpro

LeoXR
L Rider

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top