Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Empty Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip

Post  Guest Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:23 pm

Got myself a (second) BRP 05 and want to prepare it for a long trip with luggage.
Would be great if you can help me during this proces.

Back in the days when i bought my first BRP the best resources were Pig Pen and Borynacks so i went back on the interweb and found : Pig Pen / BRP issues

Question : are there more issues you would check / tackle ?

Back to top Go down

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Empty Re: Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip

Post  Guest Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:18 am

Luggage..... NO hard luggage bro, soft stuff only!
Your subframe will love you for it, and a Giant Loop will store whatever you'll need unless you need to take the Parrot, Granny and the kitchen sink with you.

Back to top Go down

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Empty Re: Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip

Post  Guest Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:34 pm

Hi BuRP,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I wil NEVER use hard luggage again since i once hurt my lower leg badly on a aluminium case. censored

Soft luggage it will be and we try to make something like this to support the subframe.

https://www.off-the-road.de/out/pictures/generated/product/1/900_600_85/otr_koffertraeger_pannier_rack_honda_xr_650_r_1.jpg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:21 am

Yo Leo,

then consider yourself lucky, as loads of guys break their legs as a result of hard panniers!
For those not knowing this, when you threaten to fall you stick a leg out... which then, planted on the ground will get under the pannier - logically so, they're shite things made for BMWs & Harleys only!

However, that's actually not why I mentioned it: hard luggage "hammers" on the subframe of bikes, they instantaneously put pressure with all their might (a hammer blow!) contrary to soft luggage which will deform during suspension-impacts, which therefore deliver a longer pressure rather than a single short blow..... and XRR-owners must know that our subframes are NOT suited for loading with any luggage, it is simply too weak for such.

Your 'reinforcing'-choice seems a nice one, pls post a pic when done Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:40 pm

BuRP wrote:Yo Leo,
then consider yourself lucky, as loads of guys break their legs as a result of hard panniers!

I was very lucky indeed. I could not walk normal for 2 days during that holiday.

BuRP wrote: XRR-owners must know that our subframes are NOT suited for loading with any luggage, it is simply too weak for such. Your 'reinforcing'-choice seems a nice one, pls post a pic when done Bump

I did research on the internet and saw a lot of warning signs from broken subframes. Even considered buying a complete steel subframe from globetrottin.com but that is a permanent solution and a wanted a removable for when i am not on a holiday but on a SM track / offroad trip for instance.

When we get started with that project i will post pictures.

For now i am building a replica renazco / fishersaddlebag / seats concept saddle. The OEM seat is to small for my butt  BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:27 am

[quote="LeoXR"]
BuRP wrote:The OEM seat is to small for my butt

All here know Dutchmen are tight-arses, they're either notorious or renowned for this fact all over the world.
Know how the copper-wire was invented?
A Scotsman and a Dutchmen fought over a cent! listen up
Strange then that you wanna splash on a Seats Concepts seat, they're not really cheap hmm?

If some Focker here feels I'm insulting your nation then know this: je rijdt eigenlijk een wat zeldzame motor voor dat lage landje, niet dan? Houwe zo! Bump
Yes, that was a helluva insult too, but enjoy the old girl in any case, she's a cracker! razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:36 pm

BuRP wrote: Know how the copper-wire was invented?
A Scotsman and a Dutchmen fought over a cent!  

Very Happy Very Happy  Very Happy  Never heard this one before and it`s a realy good one !

We are known to be cheapass ya.
And so , following a good tradition, i am building a seat myself that looks ( i hope ) very like one of the above

You are also right about the fact that a xr650r is a rare enduro beast in the Netherlands.
It`s mostly driven as a SM overhere.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:36 pm

Progress sofar :

The backside every bold / bearing checked or put in new (waterproof) grease. When the back is put together the front wil get the same treatment including new springs and oil.

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Bgxu3fyqje6uc

Ordered some stiffer springs for back and front with Hyperpro

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Tppuusgp9kff2

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:52 pm

Time flies. blink ones and your 4 weeks further.

The back is now completely serviced and the progressive backspring is placed.

The front forks have been cleaned.
The 12 year old OEM oil was turned into yellow syrup and smelled like sh.t
Cleaning was not a pleasent yob. Took some days.
Went for 5W because of the extra weight on the bike during the trip.

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  W10jx2ieywnfn

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  H960ejori2kx

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Ekbn7g

Next step is placing the front fork back , placing the wheels and put on the ABP krümmer ( header )

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  02v6che1163s

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:01 pm

Nice work even better to see the forum in use....I check several times a day hoping for new posts BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:02 pm

Tip for those who are also planning a long trip : start early with the preparations
Due to dental problems and the flu i lost 3 weeks.

This weekend the BRP has run for the first time since nov 2016 when i bought it. This proves i connected all the wires correct at the assembly banana .

I`ve put de ABP Krümmer ( header ) on and before i grinded the welding bead away. All small things help. Wink
Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  R9wpc58s

After that i tested the second hand acerbis 24L tank i bought and the petrol taps leaked. Had to buy 2 new ones at 19 euro each beat head . If you have ever seen one you probably agree that production costs are max 2 euro each. Keep it in mind when you ever buy second hand (acerbis) tank for the BRP.

Then i started the modification of the seat. My wife has owned a honda XR125L ones and it had a reserve seat with it that i kept when we sold it. I have used the foam of that spare seat for my BRP saddle mod.

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  G70t4e

The bottom of the XR125 foam had to be adjusted to the pan of the BRP

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  J4yixtnv0r

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  7axtqfm

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Vkr3bhlp

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  5a2evr

For the finetuning of the foam i use a "lamellenschijf" ( could not find the english word for it )  and a grinder.

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  3m3q4cc29xk

I was half way when my grinder began to produce smoke  Shocked  and i had to stop.  angry

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  5x4307zoe

When a new grinder arrives i will post the finishing foto`s.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 pm

lol love the stories sudden ending..... BRP smile was thinking everyone had abandoned the site and only me and Hew were still around.....keep the pictures coming no matter how bad they are listen up
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:27 pm

Pictures are taken by old cellphone in the shed by TLight. Not the best surroundings for great pictures i know but it was too cold for me outside today. pale

New grinder will arrive this week so i can proceed soon with the saddle.

I think most of the BRP riders will return in the spring when they pull that pig out of the garage 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:53 pm

Started mine the other day, she has fuel stabiliser in during winter months to keep it fresh Bananatool sounded great, just using my DT175MX at the moment to keep the spirit alive... razz
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:42 am

Leo, "lamellenschijf" is flapperdisk - funny tools you use for foam, I hope for you it's hard enough for this?

I hope you didn't order a B&D or Skill grinder, have ooooooold T-shirts of them BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:45 am

Mauser wrote: using my DT175MX at the moment to keep the spirit alive

Ya well now hold on bru Maus,
that's a stroker also called 'screamer'.... I hope you don't putt around on it but let the crank really spin at times?
Have a look back when you ride - if it smokes a lot whack it open for 5 minutes! razz Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:29 pm

Nahhh she's 38 years old and I hardly ever rev her more than 5-6K BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:26 pm

Nothing can go wrong now Very Happy

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Di4scigj9

In just the right colours

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  1b3s7wu8vz

Tomorrow we are trying to copie this by DIY on to my BRP

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Otr_koffertraeger_pannier_rack_honda_xr_650_r_1

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Keep piccies coming....you can do anything with a bender, a grinder & welder lol...
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:39 pm

I have done my part by scanning ebay

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Prqkams75hc

Now its up to the welder to make something great out of it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:29 pm

Today we made a start with the DIY pannier rack.

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Oztddgtc

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Fowoeae089b

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  J94iw9

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  32gpr1grni3

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  K6ifoyhx

Next weekend we will continue

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:29 am

Fantastic work, wouldn't let you bolt them onto my bike lol..... listen up
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:01 am

Some have installed the Globetrottin steel subframe for serieus RTW.

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Tl12qh

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  M4s3e7dw8

I wanted a solution that could easily be removed because in my trip there will be one week offroad in the french alps without all the luggage and when i decide to keep the BRP after the trip it will become my sumo / travel / enduro / dual sport / daily driver bike sometimes with the panier rack but most of the time without.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 pm

Today finally made a decision on the tires i am going to use on the trip.

Read a lot on tires on the internet the past month and every time i saw a tire that looked promising the manufacturer wrote "buy my tire for 100+ euro a piece and i promise you what ever you want for at least 20.000km ".

Then i looked up the reviews and it was always the same : 50% would marry that tire and the other 50% would set it on fire.

So i fell back on the great dutch tradition : "if you can not decide .....look for the cheapest one "

And so i just bought a set Kenda K270 delivered at home for 85 euro`s.

If they s.ck i must adjust my driving style and live with it but if they are great you will be the first ones to know BRP smile .

After the tire purchase i took the new grinder and the project seat out of the dark to finish the job i started a while ago.

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  Gaiqqwe

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  1ko4i0b8

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  5392jd

The pictures are taken outside this time but they are still not that great aren`t they ?
Maybe i must keep my day job.

Next weekend the welder will complete the panniers.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:03 pm

Today the new tires arrived.  

K270  4,6*18 ( next to 4.50*18 IRC  TR8 )
and    3.0*21 ( next to 3.25*21 IRC TR8 )

I bought the bike with low mileage and it turned out that the OEM tires from 2004 were still on the rims that came with the bike Shocked ( spare rims are in the bike now )

Preparing BRP for long (off)roadtrip  8ctdjkhq

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next