Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Plating a BRP in New Mexico

Go down

Plating a BRP in New Mexico Empty Plating a BRP in New Mexico

Post  Guest Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:10 am

Are there any New Mexico BRP pilots in this forum who have pointers on how to get my 2000 plated? I will be picking it up this weekend and want to know how extensive(expensive) I need to go with a dual sport kit.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Plating a BRP in New Mexico Empty Re: Plating a BRP in New Mexico

Post  Guest Thu Sep 24, 2009 6:21 am

Yes, it is possible (mine is plated), but you have to be selective on what MVD you decide to do it at.....MVD Express is the preferred route, but I've heard stories that even in the last year it has gotten even harder to do.

No full up (i.e., bigger head light & turn signals) commericial kit really needed/required. I went with the following:
1.) DRC led brake light kit (works offf of rear brake only) another one is the baja designs rear tail light kit only.
2.) push button horn that runs off a $12 sealed lead acid DC battery (my battery is small and has plenty of juice) and the battery is mounted behind the front number plate.
3.) One folding mirror (Ken Sean)
4.) DOT tires

Coastie3202 wrote:Are there any New Mexico BRP pilots in this forum who have pointers on how to get my 2000 plated? I will be picking it up this weekend and want to know how extensive(expensive) I need to go with a dual sport kit.

Thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:53 pm

AtomicXRer wrote:Yes, it is possible (mine is plated), but you have to be selective on what MVD you decide to do it at.....MVD Express is the preferred route, but I've heard stories that even in the last year it has gotten even harder to do.

No full up (i.e., bigger head light & turn signals) commericial kit really needed/required. I went with the following:
1.) DRC led brake light kit (works offf of rear brake only) another one is the baja designs rear tail light kit only.
2.) push button horn that runs off a $12 sealed lead acid DC battery (my battery is small and has plenty of juice) and the battery is mounted behind the front number plate.
4.) DOT tires

Coastie3202 wrote:Are there any New Mexico BRP pilots in this forum who have pointers on how to get my 2000 plated? I will be picking it up this weekend and want to know how extensive(expensive) I need to go with a dual sport kit.

Thanks.

When you say "no full up" are you saying that turn signals aren't required?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:57 am

Correct. Turn signals not required in NM...also, I was able to get by just with the stock (small) headlight as opposed to one like some of the DS kits have (hi/lo beam type).

Coastie3202 wrote:
AtomicXRer wrote:Yes, it is possible (mine is plated), but you have to be selective on what MVD you decide to do it at.....MVD Express is the preferred route, but I've heard stories that even in the last year it has gotten even harder to do.

4.) DOT tires

Thanks.

When you say "no full up" are you saying that turn signals aren't required?

Back to top Go down

Plating a BRP in New Mexico Empty Plating the XR650R

Post  Guest Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:28 pm

My mind is working in strange ways this morning. Here is the stray thought that passed through.

I will take the XR to the MVD set up the way that it is, which allowed it to be plated in Colorado. So it has the mirror, brake light, brake light switch, and that is about it. I will attempt to plate it in NM. They will either do it, or they will tell me what it needs to have for it to be done. Good either way. I am trading my CRF450X for the XR650R. The CRF is plated in New Mexico and is still current. I could take the CRF plate and put it on the XR. If I get pulled over for some reason, and they run my plates, the plates will come back to a Red Honda Motorcycle, which is what I would be riding. Most cops don't know the difference between a XR650R and CRF450X. Of course I would only run the plates from the CRF on the XR until I got the XR to a point where I can get plates for it. I just need to make sure that I behave on the street and don't give the police a reason to run my plates.

Risky? Yep...but at least I can ride it until I get it legal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:43 pm

Do you you have a title that was signed over to you as street-legal from CO on your XR? If so, then you should be good to go for plating in NM with the minimal set of requirements as I listed: horn, one mirror, tail/brake light, and DOT tires. If you have no title or an off-road (OHV) title then you are doomed.

Plating a BRP in New Mexico 12226

Yeah,you probably could get away with the lic plate swap form you CRF Plating a BRP in New Mexico Icon_wink

Coastie3202 wrote:My mind is working in strange ways this morning. Here is the stray thought that passed through.

I will take the XR to the MVD set up the way that it is, which allowed it to be plated in Colorado. So it has the mirror, brake light, brake light switch, and that is about it. I will attempt to plate it in NM. They will either do it, or they will tell me what it needs to have for it to be done. Good either way. I am trading my CRF450X for the XR650R. The CRF is plated in New Mexico and is still current. I could take the CRF plate and put it on the XR. If I get pulled over for some reason, and they run my plates, the plates will come back to a Red Honda Motorcycle, which is what I would be riding. Most cops don't know the difference between a XR650R and CRF450X. Of course I would only run the plates from the CRF on the XR until I got the XR to a point where I can get plates for it. I just need to make sure that I behave on the street and don't give the police a reason to run my plates.

Risky? Yep...but at least I can ride it until I get it legal.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:49 pm

I won't know what the Colorado title says until tomorrow when i go to pick up the bike. It would be great if the title indicates that it is street-legal. It does have street legal plates on it, and the guy has the title, so I am assuming the title will indicate street legal. We shall see.

[quote="AtomicXRer"]Do you you have a title that was signed over to you as street-legal from CO on your XR? If so, then you should be good to go for plating in NM with the minimal set of requirements as I listed: horn, one mirror, tail/brake light, and DOT tires. If you have no title or an off-road (OHV) title then you are doomed.

Plating a BRP in New Mexico 12226

Yeah,you probably could get away with the lic plate swap form you CRF Plating a BRP in New Mexico Icon_wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:55 pm

i took my paper work from colo to the dmv office at north 54 salvage with proof of insurance and they issued me a plate without looking at the bike.on the title it is an x6r,works for me.rode mine 125 miles working on the enduro last weekend ,gotta love a 650 at 10,000 feet gobs of power.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:01 am

I'm getting mine done in AZ... I have a friend there who is letting me use his address. They only inspect for VIN number to make sure it's not stollen and the title matches the VIN. $70 and it's done...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down