Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trail Irons

Go down

Trail Irons Empty Trail Irons

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:33 am

I scored some nice tire irons. They also double as an axle wrench for both front/rear.

And, they're super light weight titanium. A bit expensive at $30 each, but not any more than buying all the tools separately.

Thanks to Pat for the previously posted link. And, Jim says "Hi".

Trail Irons by Stanley Alpine, LLC

http://www.sopgear.com/new_page_4.htm

Trail Irons Img_8310

Back to top Go down

Trail Irons Empty You are welcome Sir!

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:54 pm

Man, those are nice tools. Jim used to have a dual sport adventure business in South America but his partner down there screwed him.

They weigh nothing in your hand huh?

Good on ya!

Back to top Go down

Trail Irons Empty Re: Trail Irons

Post  Focker Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:24 pm

Backwoods Boogie wrote:A bit expensive at $30 each...
They better have a fold out knife...fork & spoon at that price! hungry
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Trail Irons Empty Ricardo Rocco

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:22 pm

I've read about Ricardo Rocco, there's a website about his dishonest dealings down there. Trail Irons 942555

Bump wrote:Jim used to have a dual sport adventure business in South America but his partner down there screwed him.

Back to top Go down

Trail Irons Empty They're a bargain!

Post  Guest Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:05 pm

Aerostitch, the only other ti spoons I'm aware of, sells theirs for like $77 and you don't get wrenches! You still have to buy two wrenches! So add two Fredettes, or two craftsman axle wrenches and you are way over a hundred dollars and several pounds. Not to mention if you tried to buy a Ti axle nut wrench somewhere.

Half the cost here and a fourth the weight. And that's for steel wrenches. Titanium wrenches in this size are $500 to $800!

On top of all that, it has the word Tit in it! Trail Irons 63459
Why don't you guys like tits?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:16 am

Bump wrote:Aerostitch, the only other ti spoons I'm aware of, sells theirs for like $77 and you don't get wrenches! You still have to buy two wrenches! So add two Fredettes, or two craftsman axle wrenches and you are way over a hundred dollars and several pounds. Not to mention if you tried to buy a Ti axle nut wrench somewhere.

Half the cost here and a fourth the weight. And that's for steel wrenches. Titanium wrenches in this size are $500 to $800!

On top of all that, it has the word Tit in it! Trail Irons 63459
Why don't you guys like tits?

If you are worried about the extra 2 pounds just take a laxative, Focker claims they are cheap and made in every country. Trail Irons 943901 I would not be riding a pig if I was worried about weight.

Back to top Go down

Trail Irons Empty Another tire changing tool

Post  Guest Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:34 pm

Hey,

I have one of these someone gave me awhile back. It's really pretty useful. Never used it on my motorcycle. Don't want to whammy myself by explaining that. I already got Dave's whammy on my innocent chain for goodness sake! But my wife's Bob Stroller Jogger gets flat tires like nobody's business. So I use it all the time with those BMX wheels on her Bob. I was reminded of it because she just got two more flats. I hate that stroller... I just know I'm gonna get a flat somewhere and unroll my tool pack only to remember I left my SOPGear irons with that damn stroller.

It's very light too for those against taking laxatives when they ride. Trail Irons 63459

I used to know of guy in Washington a friend rode with all the time who took laxatives when he rode. Or so it seemed. He once was in a race up there. He pulled off the course to make a grunt sculpture. Problem was, he wasn't on the course. And had ridden onto it to go. So here he as paper in hand and his gear all down and a group of racers came through. Man, my buddy used to hammer him about that all the time.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=e11014.m204&item=160333216326&viewitem=&_trkparms=algo%3DSI%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D8&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3AWNAFP%3AUS%3A1348

http://www.motionpro.com/images/enlarged/08-0388.jpg

If you look around they are like $10.

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:56 am

mamacone wrote:If you are worried about the extra 2 pounds just take a laxative, Focker claims they are cheap and made in every country.
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

Back to top Go down

Trail Irons Empty nasty

Post  Guest Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:07 am

I swear I can smell that through the monitor.

Back to top Go down

Trail Irons Empty toilet paper needed?

Post  Guest Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:11 pm

Was on a group ride and one of the guys needed to go to the bathroom and asked me if I had any toilet paper. I said no just use some grass, he said no, I said sacrifice a sock, he said no these are my favorite socks, I said tear a piece of your shirt off, he said no my wife bought me this shirt it is special, I said use a dollar, he said good idea and disappeared. Shortly after he returns and has crap all over his hands, etc. I said what happened, he replied "have you ever tried to wipe your but with 3 quarters two dimes and a nickel? If you are wondering Focker is not the victim.

Back to top Go down

Trail Irons Empty LOL

Post  Guest Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:22 pm

I didn't see that comin!

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:27 pm

mamacone wrote: If you are wondering Focker is not the victim.
I never did get that dollar back...You can keep it!
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:26 am

Ain't touchin' that.

Back to top Go down

Trail Irons Empty Irons

Post  Guest Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:32 am

Those irons seem to come up short on the length department. How long are they? It doesn't matter what material they are made out of, Leverage is key..

+1 on the laxatives

Back to top Go down

Trail Irons Empty Ask Jim...

Post  Guest Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:54 am

My stuff is all packed away right now. Not really sure where it is since we just moved. Email Jim at Sopgear.com and ask him. Super nice guy.

For me, if I can get the tire down in the center of the rim, I can pull the tire off with a three inch lever.

That said, I remember clearly the first time I tried to change a MC tire. I had no idea what I was doing. There was no WWW then. I didn't know about breaking the bead or any of that. I folded two nice long levers in half practically trying to stretch the tire over the rim. I'm so use to doing everything by myself that I sometimes forget to stop and think, "Geez, this can't be correct."

True about leverage. If I didn't need to carry them as well I'd really like some long ones. These are perfect for my race/fanny pack.

PigandChain wrote:Those irons seem to come up short on the length department. How long are they? It doesn't matter what material they are made out of, Leverage is key..

+1 on the laxatives

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:17 pm

Nice irons - well, titaniums actually.
I can't help noticing some of you do not carry white gold with you.
Also, it would seem that weight is a problem for some - if not most.
Let me help.

Carry 1 sheet of toilet paper (weight = zero) folded in a tiny ziplock-bag (weight is zero) every time you go out. 1 sheet yeah, enough - but I'll explain.
Once finished burping on your haunches cleaning-up time is next. Time to take out that 1 sheet from the ziplock. Then, unfold the single sheet and carefully flatten it. Next remove a small square, around 1.5cm, from the center of the sheet. Put this little square back in the ziplock and put the ziplock aside.
Next put your middle finger through the small hole in the sheet, and , whilst making sure the paper covers your hand, clean yourself up with that one finger.
When done fold & hold the paper over your finger whilst you slowly pull out, and slight twisting helps. This process will result in a clean finger, however I'll admit that practice makes perfect.
Discard paper.

The more attentive reader will query why that small piece was put back in the ziplock.
Easy - that's for cleaning your nail with.
razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down