Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dual Sport Handlebar Switch

Go down

Dual Sport Handlebar Switch Empty Dual Sport Handlebar Switch

Post  Guest Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:40 pm

I got a brandnew Baja Designs dual sport handlebar switch, the one with a 'trigger' as killswitch. It switches the lights with a slider to off/park/hi, and a separate button chooses Hi or Lo beams, and a Led as Hi-indicator. Indicators too, resettable even, plus a horn button.
This switch comes wired with a 9-pin connector but also with 2 separate pigtails (with bullet terminals) for the kill-function, and these allow you to splice the standard kill-button in the system.
Quite a neat compact unit.

However, pulling the trigger correctly shorts the two separate wires hence kills the engine, but it also does this when the lightswitch is in the Off position!
As this can't be intended to be this way I was going to open it up & see what goes for what, however this unit will not really allow this without breaking it.

Anybody got the same unit? If so, does yours same?

Back to top Go down

Dual Sport Handlebar Switch Empty New as in?

Post  Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:00 pm

Is this a new as in updated switch or new as in new to you? I have one but it's probably seven years old-when my scoot got the Cali plate.

Since you off the grid I'd email BD. Unless you have Skype or something. CS is very good there for me.

Back to top Go down

Dual Sport Handlebar Switch Empty Re: Dual Sport Handlebar Switch

Post  Guest Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:37 pm

Brandnew, 3 weeks old, only unpacked & Fluke-measured - the latter quite necessary because no wiring diagram comes supplied hence I had to draw one up. That is when I found this strange anomaly - I think?
When the lights are Off (they indeed will be, no faults here) the kill-circuit shorts, permanently.
Could be that this is meant as some sort of - gimmicky! - anti-theft protection, but if all have this then such would be of no use. Besides, I wanted to use the trigger for flashing the high beam, but this will not work either now.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Hey BuRP, the headlight switch is meant to operate exactly how you mention. When the slider switch is slid down all the way to off it shuts everything down. The middle position I treat as an accessory position if I'm stopped, but still want power without the headlight on. The top position is everything powered up.

The "trigger" is used to just kill the engine without shutting anything down. It's convenient when riding and I need to shut off the bike, but don't plan on getting off, or plan on hopping right back on; such as to figure out the plan or wait for other riders to catch up.

When the slider switch is all the way down it completely shuts down the ignition system, so it will not start no matter how much I kick it. I don't want to have to slide the switch up and down constantly to just briefly kill the engine, so that's where the "trigger" comes in handy. Coast into camp while shutting the engine down with the "trigger" chat real quick with friends and then kick and go. Way easier than getting to camp, sliding the switch down, remembering to slide the switch back up, and then going. beat head

You can always send Baja Designs an email. They're local to me and I go in a lot; good people and they'll be more than happy to help out.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:58 pm

Scxr650r,

thanks for taking the trouble to register & answer my query, appreciated.
It confirms I've got a "normal" unit instead of a duddish anomaly. Normal between parenthesis though, as I consider this a funny setup.

The switch's middle position "P" stands for Parking lights, same like any car, and of course I was going to wire it accordingly. But not anymore as I want all lights to be Off too, so now I'll have to fiddle with dual diodes to have the small bulb come On concurrent with the Low & High beams both.
I'll make a plan with it, after all it remains a neat unit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:59 pm

Burp, So I have the same switch how did you ended up wiring it? did you use the parking lights at all? or did you use it for the accesories function?

Thanks,

IBM

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:43 pm

Ya I did, you will too.
Here goes:
- the lightswitch-slider (LHS of assy) has a 'dot' (engine off, lights also), then parking-lights, next (top) is main lights. Note though, the parking light will also be 'on' then (concurrent with the main light)
- the main light is internally routed to the pushbutton (RHS of assy), which chooses between dipped-beam & main beam. When main-beam is on the little LED will also come on, it's an idiot light for high beam.
I still stink this is a funny way to wire a switch-assy, but maybe they've done it for those running a battery: stop the engine & your lights will be off then too.

If you like to have some piece of mind, to prevent stealing your bike, maybe you want to consider a 'hidden' switch which will short the ignition, just parallel it with the kill button (or trigger). If a thief wants to kick it & ride off he'll get tired only, hopefully giving you the chance to kcuf him up properly then BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down