Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

noisy valves?

Go down

noisy valves? Empty noisy valves?

Post  Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:01 am

So i bought a 2003 honda xr650r a week ago, needs lots of TLC. Valves needed adjustments , the intake valves were pretty off...

the previous owner told me there is a hotcam in the bike . And im wondering if its the hotcam is creating that noise , is it normal ? Bike is straight pipe.

Heres a video posted on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J4CEQbHVEg (this video is before valve adjustment)

part 2 ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIcRn2W0xoQ (after valve ajustments , still doing the noise ) ...

Did some research online, some are saying , rocker arms , some are saying timing chain and tensioner .

anyways i wanna see what you guys have to say about it . Before i have no choice but opening her up .

Back to top Go down

noisy valves? Empty Re: noisy valves?

Post  Mauser Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:28 am

You sure you have her in the right position before adjusting the valves ? you can be on the "T" mark but not the right position for the engine @ TDC
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:13 am

Sorry Mauser,

but being 1 revolution out - but on the T - means that both valves are lifted quite a bit, they're then "rocking" in/during their overlap..... and I don't think that's what's amiss here. That aside, you'll have to turn the tappets a ludicrous amount to even get play then, if that's possible at all!

Jeronimo,

You must take the LH-cover off, and you must turn the crank only counter-clockwise... which means not/never/ever turn it even a little clockwise!
Turn at least 2 full turns counter-clockwise, to the T, and if the valves don't have free play then turn another revolution, again counterclockwise.
If you go past the T then carry on turning, but NEVER turn the crank clockwise!
This thing has an auto-decomp system in, which reacts on turning clockwise, it will lift a valve then.

Mind though, some 'hot' cams do away with this decomp-system, and you'd better check if you still got it (by turning it clockwise & see if the exhaust valve lifts then).

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:41 pm

sounds like lots of people are making this common mistake?

the only thing i did was removing that little screw on the LH cover so i could see the Marks to align . with the kick start, and slowly turn it to the mark , But there was 2 mark (one beside each other) , i took the first mark . Check the valves and there was freeplay , so i assumed that i was at TDC . and then ,i adjusted my valves... could this be my mistake .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:53 pm

Jeronimo,

best is to do as I described above - which, btw, is as per the Service Manual..... which you've got I assume? If not google it, download it, print it & rear it. After all that you may file it.
I actually forgot to say that you'd better take the sparkplug out too then, to make things easier as well as safer.
However, if you didn't know you probably - I'm careful here now Cool don't know a couple of other things typical for this bike? Read my man, browse until you know all. Checking the oil for instance, you know how that works do you? For sure I mean?

I trust you do but will tell it here nonetheless, as others read here too:
Start the bike, let it run a bit, then ride it until warm, say around the block. Park it level (on a bike-jack for instance), take out the dipstick, wipe it clean, then push it back in on the thread, take it out & see what the level is.
That means do not screw it back in for measuring, and do not measure unless having run the bike first (you'll measure 'low' and probably will overfill). Plenty people overfill, and consequently blow seals & create a leaking bike.
This is a so-called dry-sump engine which has dual oilpumps, and carries the oil in the frame..... when it is running or just has been run. When off the oil will leak past the pump into the sump, therefore creating a 'low' level in the frame - which is normal, you just need to know this.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:55 pm

i know where your going with this... Just so happens that the manuel arrived by mail today! Very Happy .
But yeah i did try to save some time and take shortcuts . not always the solution .
i will refer to the manuel next time .

Ill keep you guys updated , when ever i get a chance to redo the job . And dont worry im not going to drive the bike with noisy valves lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:37 pm

Got a chance to work a bit on the bike this week end . Turns out its the rocker arms that are worn out !

Heres some pics : https://2img.net/h/i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa452/jeronimo12/IMG_0466.jpg

https://2img.net/h/i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa452/jeronimo12/IMG_0467.jpg ( as you can see the top of the valves on the left are smashed , wondering if there still good , or should i just change them , just to be safe . )

https://2img.net/h/i1198.photobucket.com/albums/aa452/jeronimo12/IMG_0469.jpg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down