Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CO Pass Ride

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

CO Pass Ride Empty CO Pass Ride

Post  Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:55 am

Rode some passes in Colorado last weekend. Here is the route (3 of us) that we took:
CO Pass Ride GPSVisualizer-GoogleMapsoutput

Here's some pics from Day 1.

La Garrita Trail
CO Pass Ride 9c2031e2

CO Pass Ride 15f63f6d

CO Pass Ride 95aa7f16

A meadow on La Garrita
CO Pass Ride D57d3238

CO Pass Ride 0a44b61f

More of this ;D
CO Pass Ride 877bfee8

Next post Day2.

Last edited by AtomicXRer on Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:24 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

CO Pass Ride Empty CO Pass Ride - Day 2

Post  Guest Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:00 am

After a damp camp, getting off of La Garrita and headed toward Creede & Lake City:
CO Pass Ride A345050c

CO Pass Ride F6206f45

CO Pass Ride 0a9adcba

Lake City for lunch
CO Pass Ride 4c68df3d

CO Pass Ride 3074609b

Alpine loop headed for Engineer pass:
CO Pass Ride 88a1c5f1

CO Pass Ride Aac42f31

Waterfall on way up to Engineer Pass:
CO Pass Ride C1b1fe9b

CO Pass Ride 78f24e3c

CO Pass Ride B3cdb5a3

Engineer Pass:
CO Pass Ride 18c089af

CO Pass Ride E862827a

CO Pass Ride E20aaac0

CO Pass Ride Fed6b31a

CO Pass Ride Fd239e1c

Taking in my "proof" pics
CO Pass Ride F2b31a64

CO Pass Ride 64e81754

CO Pass Ride E29e6b4c

Next post, pics of Day3: Imogene Pass and Ophir Passes

Back to top Go down

CO Pass Ride Empty Re: CO Pass Ride

Post  Guest Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:03 pm

i know this thread is somewhat old, but nonetheless...

thanks for the pics and report.

one day it will not be just wishful thinking but a reality for me to ride some of colorado dual sport.

work and other priorities seem to have destroyed the best of plans in the past usually at the last moment - so it has yet to happen for me. i have been to colorado twice by truck, but long to do some dual sport there.
everytime i see pics like these and a ride report, it reminds me of something i need to do. every year i put a tentative trip like this on my "to do" list for the year, but something always comes up to keep it from happening.
so far, a couple of short day trips and a two day excursion to the pineywoods in southeast texas ...mostly done as afterthoughts when it was obvious a bigger trip wasn't happening. nice trips but still looking forward to a longer trip somewhere else...

Last edited by dr dave on Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:09 pm; edited 3 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:13 am

Its Never too late for adventure naughty

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:40 pm

I am willing to lead a group thru this ride if you guys are interested.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:09 pm

I would love that , if i only live in the US Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:12 pm

actually, i could be up for this....
i live in southern oklahoma and you've got my interest for sure..

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:03 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:I would love that , if i only live in the US Crying or Very sad

Sorry... naughty Twisted Evil

StirPot

Last edited by AtomicXRer on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:06 pm

dr dave wrote:actually, i could be up for this....
i live in southern oklahoma and you've got my interest for sure..

Best time to do the passes is late Aug thru end-Sept. It's always iffy with the weather. At elevation you choose the best window and hope nature allows you to ride it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:25 pm

I might be interested in this next year....uh, later this year! rider
My bike wont be street legal, how much of this ride is on road?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:25 pm

aug and sep are best times of year for me to get away from job... so a definite possibility...

mad frosty: fly over and rent a bike (couple of bike rentals in colorado i understand) .... who knows...
if i can pull this off, i may even have an extra bike suitable (wouldn't be a brp though unfortunately)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:44 pm

dr dave wrote:aug and sep are best times of year for me to get away from job... so a definite possibility...

mad frosty: fly over and rent a bike (couple of bike rentals in colorado i understand) .... who knows...
if i can pull this off, i may even have an extra bike suitable (wouldn't be a brp though unfortunately)

If its not BRP i am not interested Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:59 am

Maddy,

I actually thought that was a fooken nice suggestion from Dave, and you brush him off like a scumbag. Try nicer next time?
How many days for this trip are we talking here? I might well be interested, and indeed a bike can be rented. Any knobbly will do, although Atomic better also indicates how technical terrain this is?
All ears...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:31 pm

I think that you have missunderstud my joke , i am very gratefull for the offer from Dave and should just have said thanks instead of trying to be comedian ( clearly a shitty one s--t head ) . He Dave if you ever read this , you are always welcomed in my house if you decide to visit the old land and you can lend my bike to ride all for free , but be warned that there if not much to ride in this overcrowded place tears .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:09 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:I think that you have missunderstud my joke ( clearly a shitty one s--t head )

I got it Frosty, I knew exactly what you were say'n. nice

cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:59 pm

Mad Frosty - i figured the remark had a wee bit more wit and humor than what it seemed initially ...

BuRP - would be a rather unique ride if it had an international flavor to it - even more interesting all the time..
...that would include the frosty as well...(even if he is not on a brp Wink )

i am assuming that these would have to be plated bikes...

who knows...there is a local small powersports shop whose owner goes to colorado and new mexico at least a couple of times a year..and he has several used bikes for sale all the time.....perhaps he would rent a couple for a short period...might help generate some income. all are dirtbikes and several are plated. he seems like a nice guy and i do some business there routinely. just a thought.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:13 am

Dave,

yeah, agree, would be interesting indeed, and I'm all for such. It's your turf, so scrounge around a bit, and see what can be done bikewise pls? Might even be that a friend of mine may join us in this.
Frosty, I'll be the first to buy you one when we meet, would be good to meet up and talk different politics over a campfire in a stunning countryside you guys are spoilt with!

Then there's Mauser. Golly, I know, he's English but I don't blame him for that - is this something for you Blightyman? Flying over the pond, hiring a bike and riding with total strangers which are known to be cowboys?
It sure is for me, and quite like Dave says a multinational flavour would be better even.
On 1 single condition though: we must visit a Hooters, I've heard too much about their outstanding milkshakes CO Pass Ride 63459

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:53 pm

cowboys? not funny

is that you Atomic? surely they are not referring to me..

are we being stereotyped here or is there something i don't know yet since i am still rated a "noob" here.

before i changed my avatar (to make it more appropriate for this thread), it was a watermelon on my head, not a cowboy hat...
although i do have a cowboy hat - picked it up on the side of the road one day - had been ran over by a truck and now sported a tire track and was rather crumpled. but it was my size and fairly new otherwise, so i took it home and straightened it up - doesn't bother me to wear it when i need a lot of shade. hey, i admit it - i'm cheap!
(and i do end up with horses#*t on my shoes everyday)
who knows, if this adventure actually does happen, i may have to bring it along to let the "non-natives" try it on for bragging rights...

by the way Frosty: my neighbor has two honda ruckus bikes i am sure he would let us have....do those qualify as a brp? they are hondas ..and pigs..

Atomic: i noticed on TT that you had at one time a kdx220 modded just like mine with kx suspension and RB mods, etc. Did it work well at the colorado elevations? I might have to bring it along if i get to come..
I have only had it about a year and use it for the strictly off road stuff (although it is dual sported street legal) and find i like it more all the time as long as there is not too much open road riding. it and the xr650r would both be in the pickup bed when colorado bound

Last edited by dr dave on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:54 pm; edited 8 times in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:52 pm

YEEE~HA! dead horse that's why I ride an iron horse!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:54 pm

I can ride horse ( the real one ) but i dont think horse can keep up with the fast pigs BRP smile

and just for the future reference if someone uses one of these in his post dont take it too seriously - razz , Wink , Very Happy ,..... they are called emoticons and are widely used on the internet forums to prevent missunderstanding because writen word cannot transmit emotions / facial expresions or changes in the voice . asking for it

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:56 pm

MA$TER_E wrote:
Mad Frosty wrote:I think that you have missunderstud my joke ( clearly a shitty one s--t head )

I got it Frosty, I knew exactly what you were say'n. nice

cheers

You are clever boy , well done cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:32 am

dr dave wrote:
i am assuming that these would have to be plated bikes...

who knows...there is a local small powersports shop whose owner goes to colorado and new mexico at least a couple of times a year..and he has several used bikes for sale all the time.....perhaps he would rent a couple for a short period...might help generate some income. all are dirtbikes and several are plated. he seems like a nice guy and i do some business there routinely. just a thought.

The route is a dual sport ride and you would need to be plated; one person that rode it when I did was on a Yami WR250R. I would lend out a bike if I had too, but my other bikes outside of my BRP are small 2-strokes.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:41 am

I'm no cowboy, but many of the mtn resorts around here are frequented by cowboys from TX and OK, esp. Santa Fe, Red River and Eagle Nest. Rolling Eyes

Still have the KDX and a KX that are street legal...the distances are too long to be buzzing on a 2T for this ride. These are fun for short runs, but the CO pass ride in the map I've shown on the first post cover some long distances. Unless we choose Lake City, CO as a home base and do to/from day rides, then a 2T would work out.

dr dave wrote:cowboys? not funny

is that you Atomic? surely they are not referring to me..

are we being stereotyped here or is there something i don't know yet since i am still rated a "noob" here.

before i changed my avatar (to make it more appropriate for this thread), it was a watermelon on my head, not a cowboy hat...
although i do have a cowboy hat - picked it up on the side of the road one day - had been ran over by a truck and now sported a tire track and was rather crumpled. but it was my size and fairly new otherwise, so i took it home and straightened it up - doesn't bother me to wear it when i need a lot of shade. hey, i admit it - i'm cheap!
(and i do end up with horses#*t on my shoes everyday)
who knows, if this adventure actually does happen, i may have to bring it along to let the "non-natives" try it on for bragging rights...

by the way Frosty: my neighbor has two honda ruckus bikes i am sure he would let us have....do those qualify as a brp? they are hondas ..and pigs..

Atomic: i noticed on TT that you had at one time a kdx220 modded just like mine with kx suspension and RB mods, etc. Did it work well at the colorado elevations? I might have to bring it along if i get to come..
I have only had it about a year and use it for the strictly off road stuff (although it is dual sported street legal) and find i like it more all the time as long as there is not too much open road riding. it and the xr650r would both be in the pickup bed when colorado bound

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:38 am

Atomic, maybe you could help. I have had nothing but mad as heck "Absolutely NOT!!" Frustrated from the MVD in NM about plating. shrug Is there something I need to do or say before I spend a shit ton of cash on parts for nothing? I mean $500.00 will go a LONG way on my K5 project! affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:28 pm

chrislogan27 wrote:Atomic, maybe you could help. I have had nothing but mad as heck "Absolutely NOT!!" Frustrated from the MVD in NM about plating. shrug Is there something I need to do or say before I spend a shit ton of cash on parts for nothing? I mean $500.00 will go a LONG way on my K5 project! affraid

Do you have a title for the bike? Is it OHV? If so, then it is nearly impossible to make it street-legal. Mine were done in CO as conversions (it's easier there) then brought to NM with street-legal titles from CO. No questions asked in this scenario. If you do try to replate as street-legal, you might have some luck with MVD express, not the state run MVD.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next