Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

airbox question and gearing concerns

Go down

airbox question and gearing concerns Empty airbox question and gearing concerns

Post  Guest Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Do i need this silly metal mesh thats behind my air filter? If i remove the mesh filter will the flemsy foam filter be sucked back into the intake? Also-as far as i know, my 00 xrr has stock gearing. I do 99% trail riding (knobbies all year) and i've heard the brp can overheat if you keep it in 1st gear all the time on trails. Should i switch to a 13 tooth front and leave the rear stock? I just got the bike and it has a white bros r4 exhaust, oversized brakes, & renthal bars. Unfortunately i have no idea if the bike has a 170/175 jet kit or if the carb block thingy has been removed. I guess i'm going to have to pull it all apart to see Sad. It seems to run well right now with the exhaust so i kind of want to assume it's been re-jetted.

Back to top Go down

airbox question and gearing concerns Empty Re: airbox question and gearing concerns

Post  Focker Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:31 pm

Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

airbox question and gearing concerns Empty Re: airbox question and gearing concerns

Post  Guest Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:09 am

YES you need to keep that 'silly mesh filter' behind your foam-filter!
It supports the filter, prevents it from being sucked into the engine, but also it prevents the filter from burning when it backfires - mind, some have reported this happening after a spill.
If you do not like the 'dense-ness' of this screen (light hardly is visible through it, it must have quite some resistance) then buy XRsOnly screen, which is a lot more open... and, obviously, will have less protection in the anti-fire department Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down