Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gearing recomendations

Go down

Gearing recomendations Empty Gearing recomendations

Post  Guest Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:39 pm

Doing some rock crawling, not trials riding, but first gear and way to much clutching for the stock 14/47 gearing. I have read that going to a 13 on front will cause rapid wear on the chain slide? Anybody experimented with the 13/47 combo? Would a 14/52 be to low and can you use the same chain length on the 14/52? I was thinking with a 52 I could swap to 15/52 or even 16/52 depending on the ride? But I dont want to mess with changing the chain length. Looking for sugestions. What I really want is the auto clutch, electirc start and a pumper, but that is not going to happen for a while.

Back to top Go down

Gearing recomendations Empty Re: Gearing recomendations

Post  Guest Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:04 pm

With the 13/47 your at 3.62 14/52 your at 3.71 15/52 your at 3.47 16/52 your at 3.25

I just got my XRR and haven't played with gearing but for the desert and street I run 15/48 3.2

My CR500 I run 13/51 and I have a 15 tooth for a little more top end.

I think if you went with the 52 rear and the 14/15/16 front you get a nice range and if you get a chain to fit the 15/52 you should be good for the other gears.

YMMV Clipity

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 24, 2009 3:18 am

Stock is14-48. I wanted more top end for street so went up to 15-48 as the bike is mostly a dualsport. This is a good compromise, but still find I want more top end. However, I was told that the 16 front makes it a real close call to hitting the engine case. For rock climbing....I suppose a rear at 50 to 52 and front at 13 would be good.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:24 am

I have the 13/47 on mine and have since it was new. Everything looks good on it as far as wear. Where I ride, around Wenatchee/Entiat/Chelan area, its pretty tight and lots of switchbacks so Ive been thinking of changing the rear sprocket to a 52 because its still a little high geared.

Back to top Go down

Gearing recomendations Empty gearing

Post  Guest Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:17 pm

I normally run a 15/52 when I go trail riding and a 15/48 when on the street.

next I will try a 13/52 just to find out if the chain will fit and how the bike will handle in slow trails.

Back to top Go down

Gearing recomendations Empty gearing

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:34 am

Esben_odense wrote:I normally run a 15/52 when I go trail riding and a 15/48 when on the street.

next I will try a 13/52 just to find out if the chain will fit and how the bike will handle in slow trails.

Does the same chain work on both setups (15/48 and 15/52)?

Back to top Go down

Gearing recomendations Empty yes

Post  Guest Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:02 am

if with that gearing I can use the same chain.
I think I can use one, maybe two teeth up on large sprocker and maybe on down on the small.. Not something I have triet yet. but I will..

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down