Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What gearing are you running?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What gearing are you running? Empty What gearing are you running?

Post  Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:58 pm

I'm running 15/48 which is what I found on the bike when I got it. Taps out at about 90 if the air is cool. It's nice in the technical stuff but I often find myself between gears. Now that I think about it, it sucks in the technical stuff. I'm always using the clutch. Been working on my KDX the last few days and I guess I was thinking of it...

Last edited by Bump on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

What gearing are you running? Empty Technical stuff

Post  Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Everybodies technical is different, but a 15/48 would be geared to high for me. I run the stock 14/48 and it is still to high for rock crawling, stump dodging etc. Going to try 14/52 or 13/48.

Back to top Go down

What gearing are you running? Empty Re: What gearing are you running?

Post  Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:29 pm

I am running 15/48 with cam and it is perfect for me. I rode with a 950 a couple of weeks ago and his gps clocked us at 100mph.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 01, 2009 10:22 pm

I am running the stock 14/48 and I think the 15/48 is the best for dual sport around here for me. Currently I top out maxed at 85mph. I think with the 15 front ill top around 95 or so. I can cruise around 65 for a long time if I need to.

Terrain: Indiana, range from tight single track (not too often) to wide four wheeler trails (not jeep but atv trails) rarely muddy but almost always dusty or tacky. lots of hills and its never flat.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 03, 2009 7:39 pm

I am going to try 15/47, after my research and for the type of riding I intend to do mainly DS I feel this will be a good compromise. From what I can tell the stock chain length of 110 should still work and I will carry a 14 CS with me just in case. I am also putting a Revlock auto clutch on the XR as well.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 03, 2009 11:52 pm

15/48 thats what my bike came with so thats what I'm running.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 07, 2009 5:29 pm

I'm running 15/47, works well in the dual sport mode with the stock chain.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 08, 2009 11:13 am

I have not given much attention to my gearing, as I mostly ride short stretches of highway to get to not overly technical dirt roads/trails.

I just took a peek with the ol' flashlight, and I see "14" stamped on the CS, and "C45" stamped on the rear sprocket.

If this is truly a 14/45 combo, I'm not sure that I understand some of the above posts, regarding speed. My pig will do ~55-65mph on the slab for prolonged periods. Higher, prolonged speeds would be out of the question. Max speed? Beats me, but I'd guess no more than ~75mph.

I'm going to bump the CS up to 15 and see if I can at least get a comfy highway speed of 70mph. I'm guessing I won't lose much in the low end, torque department.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 08, 2009 5:20 pm

15/48 is a good all around compromise. Reasonably comfortable at 70-75mph on the hwy. 97 MPH by the GPS on dirt. The beast has enough grunt that I rarely slip the clutch.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 13, 2009 1:39 am

Mine came with 15/48 and I went to 15/46 because the top end wasn't fast enough for DS riding to the dirt, but it ended up being way too high offroad. Went back to 15/48.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Mine came with 14-51 and i like it What gearing are you running? 685850
its fast enough on top but im more into the torque the pig gives me on small trails or city rides.

on the sm weels i go with the same setup and later i try 14-48.

i did not ride enough yet (330km max) so i cant realy say whats good.

What gearing are you running? 448159 What gearing are you running? 36202

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:37 pm

I am running 15/48 with cam and it is perfect for me. I rode with a 950 a couple of weeks ago and his gps clocked us at 100mph.

Diamond Jewellery
bath remodel orange county

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:50 am

13t~50t should be ideal for tight woods & knobbly tyres.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

What gearing are you running? Empty gezz

Post  Guest Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 am

I was running 15/47 and felt it was to low for hwy running, I went to 15/45 and still find it a bit low for Hwy running at 120KPH, yet it is OK in the bush and single trail.... I was thinking I will try a 43t rear next... why am I the only one running gearing that tall?????

no matter where I ride I end up doing a couple of hundred Ks of hwy tar here in Australia...

Joe

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:11 pm

I run the stock 14/48, does good in most conditions and can run at 62 mph with out taxing the motor.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:27 am

13/51 works for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:13 am

15/49, with a steel stealth rear.
Good for what I do (on & off), and the odd numbered sprockets - chosen on purpose - will wear very evenly, allowing to to get the maximum life out of the set.
This combo also results in the rear wheel sitting most forward in the swingarm, the bolts are actually screwed in tightly, and 'hard' to get the chain on. The chain can just be cut there, absolutely perfect (dunno the number of links).
This results in the shortest wheelbase possible hence it turns best.

Back to top Go down

What gearing are you running? Empty Gearing

Post  Guest Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:07 pm

I run 15/48 and on my trailtech vapor I have hit 92mph and probably could have squeezed another few out of her but I really was only looking for 90. My bike came stock with 14/48 which is North American standard on the BRP. Recently (last night) ordered my 11.5 spring rate Eibach spring for my bike. I am very happy with the low end grunt as I have not spent time with my pig in the tight woods. Where we ride it is open range for cattle and earlier this year I was drifting (feet on pegs) around a big sweeper left hander and out ran a calf.....scared me enough to slow down...thus making 15/48 perfect for me.
Burp, like always, is correct about the use of odd number of teeth on both sprockets or even on both, they wear evenly and last longer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:43 am

Go on then explain to me how having an odd number and an even number sprockets will wear the chain faster ?....never heard such rubbish listen up
Next you will be telling me that the "L" model is better than the "R" mad as heck
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:21 pm

Come on now Mauser, it's not the 1rst of April now is it?
Yes, odd numbered teeth' sprockets last longer, of course they do. Every tooth 'sees' an outer chainlink, then an inner, outer etc, they alternate - hence the inners do not wear always on the same spots like they do on even numbered sprockets, therefore do not climb on these indentations once created when dirty, and this puts strain on the chain as well causing it to wear more. But also, those wearmarks (with even numbered) allow the chain to move sideways, the chain will bend - between three teeth only, a very short distance, which will help to ruin a chain even more.
Odd numbered Mauser, it's best to have if you can, ditto for steel. An even numbered aluminium sprocket can wear 'gone' in 1 day in a sandy wet riverbed, ditto for brakepads so btw.

Nope Troop, not even on both, that just aggavates the problem Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:34 pm

Oh, I see more BRP smile
Well, let's go 'round the world, each on his own bike.
I'll be choosing the L Mauser, not a single hair's doubt about that.If you'll be taking the R I'll pack a towstrap Wink

But that's "better"? Dunno, but more reliable the L is, I think you'll agree with that, but altogether a different kettle of fish.
Both red though BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:07 pm

lol Burp, still think your talking blah about the chain, I can make my chain sit on a different tooth by simply adjusting the wheel further forward or backwards ?...depending on slack of course.
Never thought about going around the world on a bike..."L" or "R" I find after an hour in the seat my butt aches enough razz
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:25 pm

Factory gearing...GPS clocked speed of 104 mph at 1257 feet above sea level banana

Last edited by AURORA on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:55 pm

Ha, yes Mauser, you can take the chain off & re-mount it again a tooth offset, by hand that is - but an odd numbered sprocket will do this 'automatically' every time the wheel turns.
Mind though, you can run even numbered sprockets (both!) and have the same, however you then must mount a "half-link" in it. This link is one-half inner and the other half is an outer - and this will result in an odd numbered chain link-wise, say not a 110 but a 109.
Just a joke, those half-links one should stay away from Wink

Aurora, post a pic of you doing this speed please? I just want to see you crouched behind the filler cap razz

Just took reception of an HRC cam & hicomp coated piston ...... YEEHAAAA!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:14 am

Have been trying a pretty broad range of gearing lately.

When I bought the bike it had 15/46 and was near running the needle off the speedo but no good for nice tight singles. Since then Ive tried 15/48, 14/48, 14/52 and have settled on 14/48 as the best compromise.

Just think some of the tight tracks weve been riding Im killing 1st gear alot and temp is coming up.

Anyone running 13/48? Interested in your thoughts in the scrub/bush/mud etc

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next