Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

xr650l 1997 not pumping oil

Go down

xr650l 1997 not pumping oil Empty xr650l 1997 not pumping oil

Post  Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:14 am

97 xr 650l. bought it for $500 took it apart timing chain guide was broke. replaced guides, replaced timing chain, added hot cam then adjusted valves according to book but using hotcam card info. added oil to the xxx's started it up. was loud as crap. added more oil, was aaa ok. rode it for 80 miles, backroads short spurts 12 miles a day. took a 25 min ride and the bike got loud again. my friend said maybe the oil pump is broke. took off side cover and not alot of oil came out. and took the oil pump apart and the little star gears were not broke. so i ordered a new oil pump just incase. any ideas when i go to install it??

i took all the lines off blew air thru them all and didnt realize any blockages. i just read something about laying the bike on its side and filling the case with some oil

laid the bike on its side. dumped a quart of oil in the bottom end. installed that little pipe thing with a new o ring. new oil pump, primed according to the manual. installed side cover. stood bike up. used a straw and poured oil in the hole that the chrome oil line connects too. put oil line on then poured oil in the top of the same chrome oil line, but not much went it cause its a bad angle. installed that line. dumped oil in the line that runs down from the neck area that connects to the bottom of the motor. installed line. dumped oil in the filler neck til it was at the top of the xxxxxs. turned over the bike with the kill switch off for like 20 seconds. with 5 second breaks between. took of top of chrome line connected to head turned motor over with switch still off. NO OIL CAME OUT. started bike up for 30 secs NO OIL CAME OUT. rechecked oil in bottom by pulling little 10 mm bolt oil came out. checked frame, still on xxxxx. started bike and let run for 3 mins, then turned off. took top line completly off started bike NO OIL CAME OUT

then just now i tipped the bike over took off oil filter cover and its dry. i poured some oil in there. then i stood bike up and started it and loosened the top chrome head oil line and i can feel air pumping out but no oil.

Back to top Go down

xr650l 1997 not pumping oil Empty Re: xr650l 1997 not pumping oil

Post  Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:57 am

The frame tube from where the oil-line goes to the engine has a metal screen/filter in. You first have to remove the line, and next is the filter - is that clean?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:30 am

First things first how about introducing yourself and saying hello ?, always better than jumping in with questions....some of us get the weird feeling your only here for help listen up
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:27 pm

'Course he's here for help, me too, dunno the diff between a screw and a hammer myself, however I like doing both razz
Oopsie, got sidetracked there. And worse still Maus', he's riding the Ladies version! Still a Honda though, and helping is the least we can do, but even if he was asking about an Ural Dnjepr I'd answer if I could.
This weekend I'll get to do a lot of spannering on my bike, fi-nal-ly......

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:46 pm

yea i cleaned the tube screen and the screen in the bottom end of the motor. of course im here for the help cause two other forums couldnt help me. is the ladies version the street legal bike?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:35 pm

nitrousbandit1 wrote:yea i cleaned the tube screen and the screen in the bottom end of the motor. of course im here for the help cause two other forums couldnt help me. is the ladies version the street legal bike?
Your correct the L on your 650L stands for "Ladies" razz where we ride the 650R which is a total beast BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:58 am

NB,

if all is clean on the intake-side of the pump them I'd strip the engine fully, and follow all oilgalleries through to where they go, something somewhere is blocked.
Also, by stripping you'll find all damage done - as you can be sure there's quite a bit of that, sorry to say.

Back to top Go down

xr650l 1997 not pumping oil Empty oil pumping now

Post  Guest Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:38 pm

took off side cover. removed the oil pump gear and put a drill on it, turn drill in reverse and in less than ten seconds the oil pump spit air out then oil. put bike back together changed oil and started it. oil flowing out of top oil line.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Don't understand - what was it, the cause?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:46 am

Oil inlet blocked or did you basically prime the oil pump? banana

Last edited by AURORA on Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:35 am

i dont know why it stopped pumping in the first place. i did clean both screens that i didnt know existed before starting this. i believe there was just an air pocket that was pushed out by the drill spinning the pump with the side cover off

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down