Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New member to say hello

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New member to say hello Empty New member to say hello

Post  Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi everybody , i am long time lurker , and i think its time to introduce my self .
My name is Frosty , i live in UK , few months back i have bought BRP / XR650 R ( 2000 ) , it was close call , nearly bought KTM , but they are very common and i have decided to be more unique ( not many BRP around here ) .
So far i can say i love the engine , but the rest of the bike needs a lot of work/money throwing at it to make it good enough .
My wish list so far -
give one more chance to the stock carb by rebuilding it if it still sucks then the mikuny TM 40 goes in or modified fuel injection system from KTM 690 if i find one somewhere .
Suspension far too soft and need servicing .
Loads of rust everywhere ( the legendary honda build quality ? StirPot ) need to replace half of the screws on the bike + the wheels .
Electrics - this is a big one , the stock light its a joke , getting the baja design DS kit i hope the stator can feed it , if not i have to get uprated stator but i dont want to carry batery ( extra weight ) - this bit scares me .
bigger radiators
bigger tank
better seat - the oem one hurts just after 5 minutes of riding ,
new plastics and other pointless eye candy later naughty

Back to top Go down

New member to say hello Empty Re: New member to say hello

Post  Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:07 pm

Welcome! razz

The BD kit with a 35/35 watt bulb should run on the stock stator just fine, at least mine did. I upgraded to the Ricky stator and a 55/60 watt bulb and still have a whole 100 watt pole to spare (heated grips naughty ) I haven't got any specifics but if you don't want to run a battery I've read that a lot of people run a large Capacitor instead, worth looking into. You got my attention when you mentioned FI. It may be BRP blasphemy but I hate tuning carbs, a lot, and wish at times I had an EFI system. Frustrated

Anyway, welcome cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Welcome Frosty, give Paul a ring over at our website www.xr650r.co.uk we have loads of parts and he will do you a go deal I am sure.
We can arrange to have your existing bolts refinished if required....all on the website.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:37 pm

MA$TER_E wrote:Welcome! razz

The BD kit with a 35/35 watt bulb should run on the stock stator just fine, at least mine did. I upgraded to the Ricky stator and a 55/60 watt bulb and still have a whole 100 watt pole to spare (heated grips naughty ) I haven't got any specifics but if you don't want to run a battery I've read that a lot of people run a large Capacitor instead, worth looking into. You got my attention when you mentioned FI. It may be BRP blasphemy but I hate tuning carbs, a lot, and wish at times I had an EFI system. Frustrated

Anyway, welcome cheers

Electric start and a battery - that is blasphemy !!! Twisted Evil

All i need is extra 50 wats for 50w H4 and few BD LED's , i am going with the Ricki stator but i want to keep all as it is ( only one el. loop )am not sure if it is possible to avoid the battery instalation , I am looking in to it , there is loads of information on the interwebs but not enough detail about this , most folks have gone the dual loop and battery .
On top of this i dont know if the oem regulator rectifier would cope with the extra power shrug

I hate messing with carbs , mine starts easy ( two kicks max ) , but things get hairy when warmed up , starting gets harder and the engine stops on the deceleration , idle revs go up poor baby .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:48 pm

Mauser wrote:Welcome Frosty, give Paul a ring over at our website www.xr650r.co.uk we have loads of parts and he will do you a go deal I am sure.
We can arrange to have your existing bolts refinished if required....all on the website.
Thank you mate , nice to see another " rainy land " member Wink

Good site that is , where about are you based ? Loads of parts , how did you managed to collect all those tresures , do you race them ? Why there are no prices ?

I would like someone with another piggi to test ride mine to point out faults ( if there are any ) and compare , mine does not do whelees just by opening the throttle as some people claim their piggy does .

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:11 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:
Mauser wrote:Welcome Frosty, give Paul a ring over at our website www.xr650r.co.uk we have loads of parts and he will do you a go deal I am sure.
Thank you mate , nice to see another " rainy land " member Wink

Good site that is , where about are you based ? Loads of parts , how did you managed to collect all those tresures , do you race them ? Why there are no prices ?

I would like someone with another piggi to test ride mine to point out faults ( if there are any ) and compare , mine does not do whelees just by opening the throttle as some people claim their piggy does .

Paul is based in Wigan, no prices as stock comes and goes all the time too hard to keep the prices up-to-date etc.
Mine won't wheelie by throttle only...even with 13~50 sprockets....the back wheel will spin in 5th on muddy roads without any effort....I think these wheelie stories are just that....lol, maybe with moto wheels it might pull up...if you sit right back and drop the clutch Smile.

I'm in Lichfield so if your ever over this way pop in for a brew and chat.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:22 pm

Are you guys serious or just fun'n around? The BRP is a wheelie monster 2 thumbs Its just to bad I suck at doing them...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:51 am

Mad Frosty wrote:Loads of rust everywhere ( the legendary honda build quality ? ) need to replace half of the screws on the bike + the wheels .

Let's see, rusted nuts - you screw regularly do you? BRP smile
For a bike some 13 years mostly parked in soggy Blighty, and when ridden soaked in mud, abrasion, filth and possibly/likely salt.... I'd say yes, that's the legendary Honda reliability, especially so when I didn't hear you complaining about starting, performance or any riding qualities. Oh, and you bought it, like in paid money for it?
So we agree then. Start screwing around, new screws are cheap. If spokes are affected put new ones in, these after all may be considered as consumables on a potent dirtbike.
In case I understand you wrong and the frame or plastics have gone rusty please post a pic, we need a larf 'ere thats funny

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:04 am

MA$TER_E wrote:Are you guys serious or just fun'n around? The BRP is a wheelie monster 2 thumbs Its just to bad I suck at doing them...

Serious mine doesn't wheelie...maybe you sit on the rear fender and weight 300lbs ? I sit on the seat and only weight 150lbs I guess and 13~50 gearing and mine doesn't show any signs of wheelie monster just wears the knobblies down lol.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:56 am

That's why most de-cork their pigs Mauser.............
asking for it

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:21 pm

I am not the type who trashes his machines , normaly i am very gentle with my babies , but you need to " learn your bike " , to know its abilities in every situation . I have read a lot before purchasing this legend , and i have realized that there is a lot of hype about this bike ( i was actualy scared before the first ride , then realized it is not as strong as the "ebay people " make it to be ) I have tested it , full throttle on the gravel road in 3 gear and yes the front wheel left mother earth ( inch or two razz ) but then the handle bars started shaking ( now i know why you need the stabilizer/dampener on the steering ) .
Mine is uncorked , 68s and 175 main ,aftermarket air filter , hot cams stage one and HRC spark arrestor .
What i want from this engine is to lift the front up when going over holes , logs , etc. just by pulling the throttle .
I think higher compresion piston + better fueling should sort it out Santa

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:23 pm

BuRP wrote:That's why most de-cork their pigs Mauser.............
asking for it
You think he bought the " californian " model ? StirPot

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:33 pm

BuRP wrote:
Mad Frosty wrote:Loads of rust everywhere ( the legendary honda build quality ? ) need to replace half of the screws on the bike + the wheels .

Let's see, rusted nuts - you screw regularly do you? BRP smile
For a bike some 13 years mostly parked in soggy Blighty, and when ridden soaked in mud, abrasion, filth and possibly/likely salt.... I'd say yes, that's the legendary Honda reliability, especially so when I didn't hear you complaining about starting, performance or any riding qualities. Oh, and you bought it, like in paid money for it?
So we agree then. Start screwing around, new screws are cheap. If spokes are affected put new ones in, these after all may be considered as consumables on a potent dirtbike.
In case I understand you wrong and the frame or plastics have gone rusty please post a pic, we need a larf 'ere thats funny

You right its 13 year old bike , but it only did 4000 miles and spend most of its life in the garage ( must have been damp one ) , i love the bike and i like to buy new shiny parts to make it better .

Shame they dont sell them anymore , i would have brand new one i they did .

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:03 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:
BuRP wrote:That's why most de-cork their pigs Mauser.............

asking for it

You think he bought the " californian " model ? StirPot

He knows I brought the California model...however I then removed the airbox restrictors, fitted new carb isolator and re-jetted so mine is back to "full power"...she also wears the HRC exhaust tip.
Still won't wheelie on the throttle...... Bananatool
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:04 pm

On pavement, sitting back on the seat and begging it I was able to clutch the front end up at 55mph in 4th. That's why my 606's never last very long naughty I'm screw'n around with my jetting but that was with a 65/172/3rd Clip and at about 3000 feet.

On loose gravel it is a lot harder even at slower speeds you have to sit back even further on the seat cuz it spins up so easy. Last weekend I was able to loft it a ways but it was wet somewhat packed gravel.

Obviously as much power you can get to the ground without wheel spin the easier the front end is to get up. I've lofted it over pot holes but its not a simple sit mid saddle and twist the throttle. I've had to get to know the bike and what it needs to do what I want. And sitting mid seat and using the throttle while out in the woods it'll spin up before lifting the front end almost every time. (unless you're rocking new knobs then its got more bite and its easier)

I'm 6'-4" and 200lbs with 15/47 gearing. I've read that doing the CRF fork conversion makes the front end much lighter and easier to loft over things. I've got a set of forks but no front wheel yet. I cant wait to see if it really makes a difference. But regardless I'm going to have to post some video now.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:10 pm

I have seen some videos on youtube where the BRP are lifting the front up ( some australian racing ) that means they can do it , possibly something wrong with my bike not funny

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Mauser,

you don't mention you also removed the two plastic caps in the airbox - which I assume you did, but assuming is a dangerous word here, nudge nudge...
You did?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:10 pm

BuRP wrote:Mauser,

you don't mention you also removed the two plastic caps in the airbox - which I assume you did, but assuming is a dangerous word here, nudge nudge...
You did?

I did m8.....
He knows I brought the California model...however I then removed the airbox restrictors, fitted new carb isolator and re-jetted so mine is back to "full power"...she also wears the HRC exhaust tip.

Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:51 pm

are you being serious about this? Shocked Mines mostly stock, uncorked, Clark tank, DG pipe, stock header & gearing (sprockets), pump gas.
This beast comes up as I twist the throttle 1st~3rd....FAST! affraid
& 4th with a little 'tug', in 5th if I'm on it, and hit the smallest bump, its skyward!
I'm 6'1" and 280#. And don't need to lean back......In fact WONT lean back! I only ride dirt my rear tire is 75% gone and i run about 15 psi.

ps I wouldn't change a thing on my bike, except the header, I have the FMF to put on, and new tires.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:00 pm

chrislogan27 wrote:This beast comes up as I twist the throttle 1st~3rd....FAST! affraid
I'm curious, did you do the USD forks? How about anything to your shock?

I was really surprised how much of an impact the shock had on wheelies. When it was all soft they would get sucked up in the suspension and made it really difficult to get the front end up.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:09 pm

I haven't touched the forks, they are standard, and I adjusted the rear spring, cause it was 'loose' when I picked her up.(not touching the adjuster nuts!)
Other than that, I haven't done any thing to her. I thought they all had 'light' front ends! banana
I love it! power on demand!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:10 pm

I have 14-48 gearing

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:20 pm

chrislogan27 wrote:I have 14-48 gearing
Wow! That'd do it BRP smile I'm running 15/47 so it won't come up all the time with just throttle. But a tiny one finger slip-o-the-clutch and it does.

I'm excited to see how the USD forks change the bike. The word is that the front feels a lot lighter. A lot of why I want to do them is for the sessy factor. They make the BRP look more dirtbike than KLR. No offence to KLR riders razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:23 pm

I know Maus is a self-confessed easy rider.... but I also cannot understand why his' won't jump away like all seem to do, most certainly mine - with 15/49.
Sorry Pal, yours must be a Monday-morning version, or you've got tremendous arthritis in your wrists Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:08 pm

My bike as far as I know and ride her won't power wheelie....please take note I have not given her full throttle on the road as the back tyre will spin out. However she never seems to want to raise the front when I have been off-road even on a flat field...she just spins the rear....makes sense.
My rear tyre is slightly larger than stock being a 140/90 profile which makes the bike sit very high...which I guess will make the wheelie more difficult ?, but I am running 13 front with a largish 50 rear so should in theory be easy to power wheelie ?.
Maybe with a 17" rear rim and road tyres things would be different ?
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next