Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FYI .Baja Designs dual sport kit Killing batteries

Go down

FYI .Baja Designs dual sport kit Killing batteries  Empty FYI .Baja Designs dual sport kit Killing batteries

Post  Guest Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:08 am

Just got a 2000 BRP with CA plates from a good friend. After re fitting the bike with turn signals and flasher I found the blinker operation erratic. The bike has a RickyStator in it with 2 100w feeds. Contacted my friend and he stated that the bike had always had battery issues with the stator wired in parallel for 200w operation and figured the BD reg was over worked and it might need two regs. Pulled the seat tonight with multimeter in hand to investigate. Found a ni-cad pack that resembled a spent pack of firecrackers. Removed pack and started bike for testing. Meter read 6v ish at idle and went over 19v when revved. Disconnected one 100w leg and retested ,same results. I had new Rickystator reg-rec for another bike so I swapped it out and retested. Meter read 11.6v at idle with both 100w and 200w modes w/o battery pack. Will retest with new battery when it arrives and post results. Hope this helps someone with similar issues. Thank you to everybody that takes the time to post on this site the info is awesome.

Back to top Go down

FYI .Baja Designs dual sport kit Killing batteries  Empty Re: FYI .Baja Designs dual sport kit Killing batteries

Post  Guest Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:15 am

Well, happy you! BRP smile
If you don't want/need a batt then a large cap on the DC-side of the rreg will help smoothing, both reg and those users which may need it. May also be done with a batt.

Back to top Go down

FYI .Baja Designs dual sport kit Killing batteries  Empty Re: FYI .Baja Designs dual sport kit Killing batteries

Post  Guest Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:09 pm

That's interesting because my XR does the same weird erratic blinking thing with the same 2x 100W Ricky Stator, Trail Tech Reg/Rec, brand new battery and Baja Kit. I'm a little annoyed about it all actually, something has gone really wrong with my electrical. Blinkers stopped working and Trail Tech Voyager gave me some funny business about not having a battery in it even though it was then suddenly stopped working all together and wont turn on anymore.

If you figure out what's going on with your blinkers or can point a finger at something that doesn't make sense do share!

Back to top Go down

FYI .Baja Designs dual sport kit Killing batteries  Empty With new battery

Post  Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:11 am

Installed a new 12v 1.2ah sealed lead acid battery today with 12.7v initial voltage reading and retested. 14-3v at idle w/ no lights on and both 100w coils connected. Meter read a 16.1v spike with throttle snap. Disconnected one 100w coil and retested. 14.1v at idle and 14.8 on snap. Repeated test with lights on and both 100w coils again.Found that 200w spike was gone with either high or low beam operation. Voltage ranged from 13.6 idle to 14.7 snap. Turn signal operation is smooth in 100w no lights test and both 100w & 200w lights on test. BTW I am using a cheepo Bi-metal style flasher and will be upgrading to an solid state unit for LED turn lights. I conclude from my testing that to utilize a 200w stator safely there needs to be some sort load to prevent spikes or use 100w without headlamp. Now that my power supply is stable I will be installing a fresh (HID low/Halogen High) HID kit and will retest and post my findings.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:13 am

Correct, hi-power stators need a permanent load to 'smooth' the output of the r/r - which is a light which must work, otherwise a shunt or why. 16V will ruin your battery, pls know it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down