Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Damn the f'n manual ...

Go down

Damn the f'n manual ... Empty Damn the f'n manual ...

Post  Guest Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:06 pm

So I'm doing an oil change before heading to the track next weekend. I'd never been in her so I pull everything to check the oil strainers. I re-install the frame oil strainer and as I'm going to run on a road track, I drill the banjo bolt and frame downtube drain bolt for safety wire. Fine so far. Install & torque the banjo bolt, all good. Go to install the downtube bolt, checking the manual 1st for proper torque value, & run into trouble. The manual shows 29 lb-ft torque for this bolt. As I'm tightening it down I'm thinking this is not right. So I grab my lb-in wrench, set down to 180 (or 15lb-ft), and give it a twist. Pop, off comes the head of the bolt ... F*CK ...

The only plus side to this is it appears that I can back the rest of the bolt out with a punch/hammer. Ruins my Saturday beat head ...

ACE

Back to top Go down

Damn the f'n manual ... Empty Re: Damn the f'n manual ...

Post  Guest Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:12 am

Well, there you learn, do not torque any bolts unless it's in the engine in critical places. Learn to get a feel for it, and 'feel' comes with experience, not with a torque wrench.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Well, there's truth in the 'feel' thing Very Happy ... I've used both methods, just thought I'd be 'technical' this time around. Anyway, I got the bolt pc. out with patience, a small punch, and a light hammer (backed it out). Gave the BRP a rear disk rotor bolt from my Aprilia & she's holding oil Bananatool ...

ACE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down