Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adding a capacitor :-)

Go down

Adding a capacitor :-) Empty Adding a capacitor :-)

Post  Guest Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi folks,

So I have ordered my uprated stator kit from Electrex in the UK but they are not exactly being helpful with helping me find a capacitor for the job.  Anyone else fitted this kit or similar rated one with a capacitor?  They did tell me I need a "20K micro farad at 16 v" - anyone recommend (link?) a good place to get one in the UK?

Cheers
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Adding a capacitor :-) Empty Re: Adding a capacitor :-)

Post  Guest Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:21 am

Can't really help you.
It is a shame that Electrex seem to offer such poor support. I spoke to him in Feburary at the Classic Dirt bike show and he could not have been more helpful but have tried to call and email him since August without any luck.
I have tried doing a search on google without any real luck. It would help if I knew if a higher voltage and MF was suitable but it is all Afrikaans to me

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Isn't the voltage just the capacitors rating...rather than its actual working voltage ?.....in other words a maximum working voltage....or am I talking the normal dribble
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:31 pm

Hew - your right - their customer service stinks, I bought a new reg/reg for the CRM250 from them and the 'selling' service was fine but when it arrived and had the wrong connectors and was too big to fit in the OEM location I couldn't get anything out of them!

Mauser - I think your right that one rated higher would be fine but I would like an electrical guru to confirm - I think I'll post up on the ADVrider and see if someone there can help.

Cheers
SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:32 pm

Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:18 pm

Mark,

16V I think a bit low, 25V would be better - bit more reserve for spikes etc. Mind, this is on the regulated (12-14.2V)DC-side, the primary voltage will be higher. This voltage you could see as the height of 'barrier' (dielectricum) between the + & - , and a bit higher won't hurt.
'20K' uF is the capacity, the 'size of the storage'.
What you don't say is you need and electrolytic capacitor, one with a dedicated + & - terminal. You'll find them at any electronic component shop, just ask.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:38 pm

I have the same tripase stator and rectifier from electrex.
I confirm the poor support from that company, I mail him two or three times, never get answer

I bought from ebay a capacitor 25V 10.000 uF, built for some yamahas

http://www.ebay.de/itm/BATTERIE-Eliminator-BATTERY-Replacer-SR-XBR-500-SRX-XL-XR-XT-600-many-others-/380712217561?pt=DE_Motorradteile&hash=item58a4376bd9

for now I don't have problems, maybe the voltage at idle is not very high (I think about 10V) but a 2000 rpm I get 13V

I decided to use a little capacitor because I don't use all the 300W of the stator, I have a 55W bulb, a SPAL fan and a Garmin Montana GPS, so I think the capacitor is enough for my porpouse.

I located the capacitor under the seat on the back, at the right, after the seat screw

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:39 pm

you can find easily if you type "battery eliminator"

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:41 pm

thanks all - that's really helpful 2 thumbs 

SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down