Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sick......bent/cracked left footpeg bracket

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sick......bent/cracked left footpeg bracket Empty Sick......bent/cracked left footpeg bracket

Post  Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:43 pm

Hello.....brand new to the forum....and yes, came begging help....

Brand new rider......took a slow speed spill on my first ride around the neighborhood on my new acquisition..... Perhaps a mid-life crisis, but always wanted an Enduro and boy is this a monster! My youth spent riding on a little Yamaha RD60 keeping up (sorta) with my dirt bike riding friends......

I dropped the bike at about 5 mph. While I'm unhurt, i bent the shifter lever and the left footpeg back to the frame.....so the peg is pointed a little down and towards the back of the bike. I took the peg off and see a crack on the bracket.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix?

Very sad......

Back to top Go down

Sick......bent/cracked left footpeg bracket Empty Re: Sick......bent/cracked left footpeg bracket

Post  Mauser Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Welcome, any reason you cannot simply replace them both ?...not expensive items  listen up 
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Sick......bent/cracked left footpeg bracket Empty Re: Sick......bent/cracked left footpeg bracket

Post  Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:17 pm

The bracket is welded......is that something I can get done here locally?

I called a local shop and the service manager talked about frame replacement! OMG!

....and thank you for the welcome!

I'm really looking forward to getting out in the country on some dirt roads!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:23 pm

Welcome Smile

The footpeg just bolts onto the frame rail. The frame itself (the bar going under the engine) is ok right?

If it is just the footpeg hanger, then as Mauser says they are not expensive, you swap the peg over to the new hanger bracket. The gear lever you'll need a new one Smile

Photo's would help! As either your service manager is seeing something you are not describing, or if not he needs hung, drawn, quartered by four XRRs... Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Sick......bent/cracked left footpeg bracket 20140312

Sick......bent/cracked left footpeg bracket 20140313

Sick......bent/cracked left footpeg bracket 20140314

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:36 pm

waiting 

Waiting for it .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:55 pm

So......do I go to a welding shop......seems if I try to bend it back it will just break off the cracked piece.....seems very brittle.  

Does this happen quite a bit?   I wonder if this was something i missed when I bought the bike last week.

Any idea what I should expect to pay to get it fixed? Shocked Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:11 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:waiting 

Waiting for it .

Shall I ?...... Bump 
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:13 pm

I know I'm getting the brunt of the joke here......as I deserve.......

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:00 am

5 mph?
XR650R?

Looks like your only option is to head to the weld shop for that one.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:31 am

Gatorxr650 wrote:I know I'm getting the brunt of the joke here......as I deserve.......

Frame can be welded dead easily, any good welding place will sort you out...disconnnect your "BATTTERY" before doing so... BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:47 am

So mean... Wink  BRP smile 

Dude, you don't own a XR650R, but a XR650L.... Given your break from riding, and that you are just getting into things again I think this is a very good thing: the XR650L is air-cooled, produces more manageable power, and is really reliable. Even more good news is that little button you have to start it, as all our bikes are kick-start only.

Good news keeps coming in, as your 650L has a metal frame - brilliant news as you just take it to any old welder, get them to bash the mount bracket into alignment and weld it up. Like Mauser says just discount the battery first Smile
No need for a new frame, your service manager is still a  dummy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:29 am

Gator, this thread below is where you'll find loads of specific information Smile

ADVrider XR650L Mega-thread

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:09 pm

bow 

Thank you kindly! I'll find a welding shop and see if they can fix me up!

Yes, xr650l....there seemed to be no way to designate that when i signed up at this site......

Appreciate you guys feel better about my bike here..... So glad its pretty easily remedied.

I'll check out that other link too!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:44 pm

Gatorxr650 wrote:bow 
Yes, xr650l....there seemed to be no way to designate that when i signed up at this site......

Hmmm when you sign up it does ask you......
XR650R Year *:
It does have the bike version in the website name and the banners Smile....
Anyway hopefully you will be sorted soon and then back riding Smile.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:44 pm

My mistake.....I thought this was a forum for r's and l's and I did try to add the 650L after the year....so I had a clue.....and it does CLEARLY show 650r on the URL.....

Well, I'm glad a made a stop here on my journey. I doubt seriously I could keep up with you dirt guys anyway!

Thank you for all the help!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:40 pm

Good luck with it, Gator.
Don't be a stranger - let us know how it turns out after you get it fixed. nice nice 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:15 pm

and when you get bored with the L in a year or so you will already be a member here for when you want advice on getting an R  razz 

SkidMark

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:46 pm

There you go  thats funny 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:51 pm

$70...... Long drive to get to him, but Craigs List guy did a nice job.

Finally got out riding this week.....im so hooked.

No more laying down on the job......

rider 

Sick......bent/cracked left footpeg bracket Attachment

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:54 pm

$70 isn't all that bad at all. Looks like he did a perfect job.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:15 pm

He did a nice job alright. Glad you are back on two wheels - get out there in the dirt and soon you'll be after a BRP  BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:49 pm

"He did a nice job alright. Glad you are back on two wheels - get out there in the dirt and soon you'll be after a BRP BRP smile "

BRP?

...and thank you guys for the advice!!! Much appreciate it!!!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 pm

BRP = Big Red Pig?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:18 pm

Yep Smile

Truly reserved for the XR650R, although some call even XR600s a BRP...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next