Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wire Loom/harness Uk/Eu

Go down

Wire Loom/harness Uk/Eu Empty Wire Loom/harness Uk/Eu

Post  Guest Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:40 pm

Let me start by saying Hi... and hope everyone had a great summer!

I have a 2002 XRR and plan on dual sporting which will be my winter project. I'm trying too find the Uk/European wiring loom/harness as I have read on here that I can use that as a dual sport base too start with!  I think Mauser may have mentioned on a similar thread, maybe he will chime in!  

My other question is if I use the European wiring harness will that plug into the us model stator and other hookups blinkers, brake light, headlight etc... as most have the bullet style connectors?

sorry if I posted this on wrong discussions!

Thanks John

Back to top Go down

Wire Loom/harness Uk/Eu Empty Re: Wire Loom/harness Uk/Eu

Post  Mauser Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:15 am

Hi John,
99% sure the UK loom won't plug into the US stator as I swapped mine over and, saying that it might be only the fact I didn't want to chop the loom to add extra earth connections for stuff like indicators rear brake light and such. If you want plug and play then grab a UK/EU harness, stator, you also need the left switch gear, and if you want a front brake switch you will sadly need a new master cyclinder and kill switch....rear brake will need the lug drilling for the rear brake switch spring...or fit the banjo presure switches but mine failed early on so not sure how long they would last....I'm lucky now as I have the complete set-up now and can swap between the 2, currently and for the foreseeable I will be stopping in US light weight trim....Smile.
I still think you could convert to dual sport using second hand parts cheaper than buying a baja kit...personanlly I wouldn't touch going down swapping the rear sub-frame to a UK 1 just to mount the steel underframe from which to mount the indicators and UK/EU rear number board & lighting. Stop with what you have and add a LED rear light and then mount your indicators to the rear fender bolts like this...
Wire Loom/harness Uk/Eu DSC00892
Wire Loom/harness Uk/Eu DSC00891
Bit of a long post but you will need a few parts to do a complete set-up...
Master Cylinder, Kill switch with extra 2 wires for brake wiring.
Rectifier and flasher unit behind clocks
Headlight and brackets etc
Left switch gear
Stator and possibly regulator
Horn
Rear brake switch or some sort
Rear tail/running light and brake light
All is available on ebay but you might have to grab a bit here and a bit there, nothing your side of the pond will be much good as it's all going to be minimum spec Smile.
XR400 switch gear will work and plug straight into the loom and also the flasher unit can be replaced with 1 from other bikes mine worked from my ZX12-R but need a little link wire in the plug to make it work.
Bound to have forgotten something so just shout up, Paul over at www.xr650r.co.uk might have a complete loom as he has recently brought a bike for breaking but it might be spoken for building up a new bike !!!
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:40 am

God damn is it worth it beat head beat head beat head poor baby

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:27 pm

Thanks Mauser! Appreciate all the info, I'm trying too dual sport my XRR as cheap as possible! I will look into to it as there are a number of options available! looking for some frame guards as well, somebody should make XRR accessories they would make a killing selling this stuff as I can see there is a market place for it!

thanks again Mauser cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:05 am

Cheapest option...I would guess stay with current loom and add what you need to it, it's a dead basic set-up you have a lighting feed to headlight along with a earth so use that to feed the switch gear you can buy them off ebay new for £30 over here...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-Universal-Headlight-Horn-Indicator-Switch-Fits-Honda-X11-XR650-XR500-XR-/191231489050?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c8648f41a#ht_9076wt_1028
Only problem I found was getting a decent horn to work on AC, you might be able to get an electronic unit which might pass your MOT ?....if you go LED for indicators/tail light and fit switches to your brake lines you should be OK, do you have headlight brightness standards etc ?
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:10 am

Here's the basics we need for UK riding without indicators...

Wire Loom/harness Uk/Eu Wiring

Well not 100% true mine passed with just a temporary horn wired up....I ride now with totally stock US loom/lights Smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Wire Loom/harness Uk/Eu Empty brake switch

Post  Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:32 am

You can get banjo bolt brake switches on ebay for under $10 each delivered

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:37 am

I have the standard headlight setup but have heard of the glass lens and have seen a hi/low beam kit for the XRR, but I would like to get the tail/brake light started first! wheeling cycle supply sells a nice led tail/brake light  that I am leaning towards!

There is a lot of Dirt/dual sport bikes even some Harleys over here just running a brake light not sure if that's legal but I really need to go to my local DMV and find out what is needed! My title says motorcycle on it, but also says for off-road use only!

Does anyone have title saying same thing? What problems have you had or if none I know some states are different than others, what do you guys outside the U.S have Title or a bill of sale? scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:54 pm

The wheeling cycle supply rear led light is well worth the money. I converted mine over to it and its still going strong after two years of rough trail riding.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:28 am

ooeddym,  what brand rear hydraulic brake switch did you use? I like the tusk brand hydraulic brake switch over the xrs only, the tusk one has alot more wire to work with!

which led light part number do I choose as it gives 4 options?
http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/product/led-tail-light-inner-kit/832

or is it this one...
http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/product/inner-tail-light-kit/801

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:34 am

I went with the Baja deign one sold at rocky mountain atv. It does have the short leads though.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/search?term=hydraulic+brake+switch

This led kit, then it has all the mounting hardware required.

http://www.wheelingcyclesupply.com/shop/product/inner-tail-light-kit/801

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:48 am

Thanks ooeddym, will order this week! I might need help with the installation if I run into a snag! BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:58 am

I don't like the hydraulic switches, the straight out the top wires looks pants for the front brake you really need to get either a new master cylinder with the brake switch fitted...virtually any Honda dirt bike should work CRF, XR250's, XR400 etc or if your to tight they do a right angled cable outlet which would work so much better and not look naff....the rear is better as the cable do actually point in the right direction....straight up the frame, there again you can buy the rear brake switch dirt cheap and simply drill a small hole in the tap mounted on the rear brake pedal....
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:06 am

I don't mind spending a little extra money so everything works correctly, do I need to look at the newer model bikes as you stated Mauser for a new master cylinder front and rear?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:59 pm

The pressure switches that have the right angle wire leads work pretty good on the handlebar master.

Wire Loom/harness Uk/Eu 20140427_145947

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:15 am

ooeddym where did you order the right angle switch from if you don't mind me askin? I looked on eBay but there all from china or hongkong it seems and don't want to order from that far away!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:05 am

I believe it comes with the right angle boot. I looked up the same baja design part on motorcycle superstore and the reviews state that it comes with the right angle. You want the nissin version.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/25843/i/baja-designs-dual-sport-brake-light-switch?WT.ac=SLIsearch

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1195/25855/Baja-Designs-Hydraulic-Brake-Switch-Nissin-Brakes?term=hydraulic%20brake%20switch

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:10 am

I have seen an actual banjo washer type switch which fits between the bajo bolt and incorporates the switch....these look great specially for the front.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:12 am

Mauser can I get an MOT without indicators?

I found this thread and your diagram very useful btw, thanks...

I'm struggling with a rewire myself and it looks like, from this thread that the feed for the lights, horn, indicator switch is the black and red wire, is that correct?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:49 pm

I get an MOT with just a horn wired into my kill switch for 1 minute as I drive into the station....no lights, no indicators, no brake light or number plate light.....nowt really. The guy cannot even do a brake test with knobblies on the machine goes haywire lol.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down