Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting the 650

Go down

Starting the 650 Empty Starting the 650

Post  Guest Mon May 04, 2015 11:52 am

Is there any videos on tips to starting the 650? I have a hard time getting mine going and I fee like I'm doing it wrong.
Thanks

Back to top Go down

Starting the 650 Empty Re: Starting the 650

Post  Mauser Mon May 04, 2015 12:00 pm

Fuel on....
Choke on if cold enough....half or full
Press kick start down until she goes hard....your approaching top dead centre...maximum compression at this stage
Pull de-compressor in and gentle press down slightly further, she will nudge to or just over top dead centre....don't go to far at this stage....
Release de-compressor and bring kick start back to top....
Now just give her a good kick straight the way down and she should start....
If she doesn't check your plug is good Smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 04, 2015 12:12 pm

Thanks! Just put new plug in and runs great once I get started. looking forward to trying this technique later after work.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon May 04, 2015 1:39 pm

If you mess up and she doesn't fire up within a 3 or 4 kicks...don't bother trying to start her...hit the kill switch hold de-compressor in and kick her over a few times to empty her out....than start again.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 05, 2015 9:24 am

Well that worked a lot better I was able to crank it after about 5 try's. I started it 4 times just practicing. Still can't get the 1st kick to start like some of the videos I see man that would be nice lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 05, 2015 12:00 pm

Better is to cycle the kicker a few times - with the decomp pulled! - to get a fresh mixture into the cylinder, and then do what Mauser wrote.
Starts always!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 05, 2015 1:58 pm

How about after the bike has been running and is warmed up? Say it dies out on a trail what's the best way to get it going again then?
Thanks for my newb questions but taking it to mountains this weekend and don't wanna be stranded trying to start this pig lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Also it back fires sometimes when I kick it over. Sounds like a shotgun going off lol. Would that be a sign of anything?
Thanks

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Beasley999 wrote:Also it back fires sometimes when I kick it over. Sounds like a shotgun going off lol. Would that be a sign of anything?
Thanks

Possible reasons -
Wrong jetting , valves need adjusting ...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 05, 2015 7:41 pm

I went to start after work. Fired right up. Let warm up then shut it off. Went to start back up and float got stuck and leaking gas won't start. Should have never bought bike that's been sitting bout to say screw it and buy new carb. Scared to ride it cause I wont be able to start it again if it dies

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 06, 2015 1:01 am

Bunch of old dirt inside the gas tank has been fighting me that's what it was lol
Got me a start in the 1st kick bike now and it's nice!

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed May 06, 2015 7:51 am

If mine doesn't start she will go off like a shotgun if I keep trying without flushing her out with the kill switch off and de-compressor in....just un-burnt fuel getting into exhaust then adding a spark lol
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 06, 2015 9:23 am

Haha yeah it was loud. Thanks guys. Now she's running good I can start the fun stuff, hooking it up. Gonna head over to the tire section needs a new rear. She spins like she's on ice off road lol

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 06, 2015 9:56 am

Starting when warm.... same, just less "pre-cycles (with decomp)".
However, if you dropped it chances are it will flood!
Then you need to do following (sometimes called a race-start): keep throttle open FULL, wide open, and don't shut it!
Bring the piston to compression (that hard point), ease it an inch past with the decomp, and then whack it into life.... and again, this all with the throttle kept wide open.
It should fire on first if not second attempt.

Mind though, I'd take that carb off and clean it with a magnifying glass, plus compressed air and toothbrush etc, until it is 'new' and setup to the T .... especially when you're going remote, better do this in your garage than in the field in the rain with snakes and tigers and martians trying to eat you BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 06, 2015 12:19 pm

Beasley999 wrote:Also it back fires sometimes when I kick it over. Sounds like a shotgun going off lol. Would that be a sign of anything?
Thanks

Mine had backfired through the carb once when trying to start it, it also coughed once just casually riding along. Was a decent indication to check the valves, glad I did.
The intakes had zero lash which is also a sign they are trying to bury themselves into the cylinder head, which these engines tend to try and do after a while.
As mentioned, check your valves especially the intakes and monitor them. Check them every oil change, doesn't take long and you'll know if they're on their way if you keep having to adjust them. Should make it easier to start too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2015 2:29 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 12, 2015 2:32 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 21, 2015 11:42 am

Yeah with those steps and my bike dialed in it starts right up now. Not sure I would do it barefoot though lol but nice!

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down