Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Starting a BRP renovation, might need some help

Go down

Starting a BRP renovation, might need some help Empty Starting a BRP renovation, might need some help

Post  Guest Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi all!

Just purchased a 2000 BRP.
Engine and gearbox seem to be fine, pulls like a train, doesn't vibrates much, starts easily (cold) and gearbox is smooth.

But is needs some work.
Could you help me with this?
- Stiff throttle - replacing throttle cables and maybe throttle assembly?
- Stiff clutch - replacing clutch cable?
- Play in the wheelbearings
- Brakes are absolute crap, the rear one is like non existent - starting by replacing pads?
- Clutch engagement is a bit abrupt - any ideas?
- There's a rattle/knock in the front end when hitting potholes and such - I'll start by tightening the steering head bearings, should I check somewhere else?
- Sometimes the idle is way too high, but only after I was accelerating. In other words, the idle RPM wont go up while it's resting, its more as if they wont go fully down after I let the throttle. Should this be connected with my first point above?

Thanks in advance

Back to top Go down

Starting a BRP renovation, might need some help Empty Re: Starting a BRP renovation, might need some help

Post  Mauser Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:42 pm

I would go over the whole bike and check everything....small bike and not much to go wrong, sounds like cables need oiling.... routine maintenance and cheap to do before looking at replacing them....might solve a lot of problems and you will feel better knowing you have checked them.....
Wheel bearings are dead easy, headstock service I did this write-up just for you my friend...yes that's my bike/garage
http://www.xr650r.co.uk/service/headstock/headstock.shtml
Clutches are normally very good and few problems are reported, pop the cover and check the clutch bush has been replaced....your year bike had a problem with lack of oil on the clutch bush.....cheap to fix....
http://www.xr650rforum.com/t59-pre-03-clutch-bushing-swap-soon

Me being a bit anal I have removed virtually every bolt/nut on my bike just so I know there not seized....copper slip them up then re-fit.....bit of music and a cushion to sit on and I'm in heaven.... BRP smile
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Starting a BRP renovation, might need some help Empty Re: Starting a BRP renovation, might need some help

Post  Guest Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:47 am

Don't lie Mauser, you forgeot to tell the oke you drink tea then too!
Bump

You got a 2000 model.... with only those few niggles?
Lucky bugger you!
This bike is almost 18 years old, you realize that don't you?
I'd strip it completely but for the engine, swingarm including - and fix whatever you'll encounter.
That would mean new bearings and cables everywhere probably, and such would solve most of your problems I think.
Maus' is right, check the clutch - by opening it, zero rocket science here.
Have fun, and in the above process you'll get a cracker of a bike!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Thanks for the help guys.

Yes, coming from the 4x4 and big bike world I find it amazing how few parts the BRP actually has.

Regarding the throttle and idle issue I mentioned, could the carb slide throttle valve be a culprit?

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Could be but I would say cable most likely as they are on the dirty side....carb slide is normally clear and should be free from dirt/dust.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:12 pm

Stiff throttle- Take off throttle of your handlebar and clean handlebar under it and inside of throttle. Check how cables are on bike- aren't they squeezed in somewhere, maybe when you put on fueltank they got stucked somewhere. Lubricate cables as well. These are small things, but halped in my case.
Stiff clutch- almoust same proceedure as above.
Brakes- take of brake caliper and check if you can push in pistons only with your fingers. If not, they have to be cleaned or replaced if necesary. But no rush, clean them first and replace seals. You can clean pistons with this thing- Starting a BRP renovation, might need some help 0200091_Maroon it's a hand pad used in plumbing moustly.

Idle problem- can be bad throttle operration, clean throttle cables first then check again, if not adjust throttle postion screw on your crburator- on the left side, turn it counter clockwise one or two turns.
Steering bearings- don't try to tighten them too much (only if nut is loose), you can damage steering stem or frame. Better save some money on beer and buy new bearings.

Hope it helps.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down