Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mikuni Tm 40 carb

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Mikuni Tm 40 carb Empty Mikuni Tm 40 carb

Post  Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:32 pm

Just traded my original carb against a Mikuni Tm 40pumper carb nice
I will get it in 2 weeks.Do any one of you have one, and are you happy with it?

Back to top Go down

Mikuni Tm 40 carb Empty Re: Mikuni Tm 40 carb

Post  Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Welcome to the Tm40 club
Badcooky and myself on this board have the carb. i'm still trying to dial it in.
So far the main jet is right, thats about it. pulls hard and stays that way on the main jet.

They are a bitch to tune, but i hope eventually it gets tuned right.
I might even give up and give it to a pro

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:35 pm

Welcome fella. BRP smile
I've got a TM40 on mine and i like it.
They are hard to find setup though.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:08 am

Doesn't BWB have a jetting guide for a TM40? I know he does for the stocker, and I'm pretty sure he has one for a TM as well. Check Borynack's site; he has a lot of good jetting info on it.

The chart is all the way at the very bottom...
http://borynack.com/XR650R/HorsePowerMods.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:47 pm

Thumpmeister wrote:Doesn't BWB have a jetting guide for a TM40? I know he does for the stocker, and I'm pretty sure he has one for a TM as well. Check Borynack's site; he has a lot of good jetting info on it.

The chart is all the way at the very bottom...
http://borynack.com/XR650R/HorsePowerMods.htm

Can´t find this file...can some post or send it?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 11, 2013 12:26 am

babuja wrote:
Can´t find this file...can some post or send it?

Just received my TM40...need some help to find a jetting starting point.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 11, 2013 9:37 am

This is the set up that I used for my carb when I got it on a standard never corked XR sea level to 1500 feet. Found it on the ADV site somewhere but it was some time ago.
It may not be 100percent but it is good enough that I have never bothered making any changes.
I bought my carb second hand but new as the original owner had not been able to set it up. and even though it was a XR kit the jets were miles out. Apparently these carbs are a common harley mod and most TMs are set up for them. It is important to change the pilot air jet as well as the others.
Good luck

Pilot air jet BS30/97-1.2

Pilot Jet VM28/486-25

Main Jet N100.604-140

Needle Jet 784-13002-Y4

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 11, 2013 10:06 am

Foggit, just lost a long post Mikuni Tm 40 carb 205517 Mikuni Tm 40 carb 205517 Mikuni Tm 40 carb 205517
'Ere we go again....

Start wit the basics (open sidepanel, clean filter, some exhaust mod, fresh plug, valves set perfect):

Pilot 25 (27.5 is too big, 22.5 is too small)
Airjet 1.2 (1.1 is too small)
The above sets the screw around 1.5 turns hence is perfect.
Main 140, and unless you've got major mods done this is the size which will supply fine for WO.

This setup idles well and is fine for wide-open, the inbetween bits the needle-jet & jet-needle take care of.
There's several types (characteristics) for them but popular one's are the 9DJY1 needle & Y4 needle-jet (that long thing, and do NOT overtighten it, I did that for you already Mikuni Tm 40 carb 858455 ).
Clip in 3rd position but note, and play with, "half" positions, that little washer under or on top of the clip.

Can't remember the accel-pump jet-size , around 50 I think but it is a small size, and it will be fine (unless you have a huuge size, say 70 or bigger). Aim the squirt so it hits the needle, preferably on the rhs when looking from the intake side.
During tuning take the command-rod OUT ie test without pump.
Once happy with all put it in, and set it so that the slide is already moving before the pump starts squirting (ie some delay).
Also, stop injecting around halfway the slide's stroke, no use & waste of petrol. Both begin and end are adjustable, find where this is.

This carb delivers everywhere in the powerband, and the engine reacts super! Lifting the front is instant, plenty linear power and best of all (!!!) the bike uses considerably less fuel than with the std carb - you will like this I'm sure Mikuni Tm 40 carb 34343388 And yes, it does this whilst the engine runs lots better everywhere.
This simple & straightforward carb is in my opinion the best there is, and even those running the (obsolete!) Edelbrock will not look back once installed & dialed in.
Have fun!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 11, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi guys,

tnks for your help.

Not sure yet what setup is installed on TM 40 but have this parts:

Pilot: 1J 27.5 (i believe)
Airjet: no idea
Main 137,5;140, 145, 147,5
Needle: no idea

Where can I in UK get my hands on some parts (buy in internet)?

What's the diference between 9DJY1 needle & Y4 needle?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 11, 2013 8:25 pm

Here is a link to allens performance who have great service in the UK.
The link is to an exploded drawing of the TM carb.
You will see the links to the Jet lists on the LH side.

http://www.allensperformance.co.uk/exp-tm.html

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 12, 2013 8:34 am

babuja wrote:

I take it you've got the carb?
The airjet sits screwed in the bellmouth - unscrew & read what you have!

And, the Y4 is a jet (albeit a large one), a needle-jet - this is the central mixture tube, the biggest part of all mentioned.
The 9DJY1 needle (officially jet-needle) goes/slides into the Y4, and mounts in the slide.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 12, 2013 12:55 pm

BuRP wrote:
babuja wrote:

I take it you've got the carb?
The airjet sits screwed in the bellmouth - unscrew & read what you have!

Can´t do that now, unless I ask some doctor for a screw drive Bump

Just need to travel back home with all items to avoid trying to proper jet and need some part 8000km away Frustrated Frustrated

BuRP, what's parts do you think I should put my hand-on?

Motor: stock
Exhaust: Pro-Circuit complete exhaust
Inlet: Xronly Side Panel cutout

Altitude: Sea level < 1000feet
Temperature: 75-95ºF
Humidity: 70-80% [Angola]

Mikuni Tm 40 carb Image001

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 13, 2013 1:09 am

Hew wrote:

Pilot air jet BS30/97-1.2

Pilot Jet VM28/486-25

Main Jet N100.604-140

Needle Jet 784-13002-Y4

Ups, missed this data Embarassed ...tnks Hew Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 13, 2013 2:41 pm

If you going to buy from XRsOnly then I'd buy some airfilters, either TwinAir or UNI.
When busy anyway I'd buy some oilfilters also, no idea how easy you get them in Luanda.
Some spark plugs maybe? I mean, you're going to pay for shipping anyway, so I just added some stuff I wanted anyway.

The jets I'd get (and mostly have, same mods as you: PC4, open side, foam filter):
Pilot 25 - you need it, you've got a 27.5
Airjet 1.2 - maybe you already have it?
(Main140 you already have)
9DJY1 needle - maybe you already have it?
Y4 needle jet - maybe you already have it?
You can get all this from Sudco (US).

Please note though, this TM40 carb works with different cables! You have these? If so good, but are they long enough? If not you will want to measure the length you need, to compensate for risers and/or high bars you may have.
I had my 3"-longer cables made by Pro-Motion I think. They make any cable at any length, contact them if you need some.

What else to buy? Hey bru, you know you'll need a large tank, no idea if you've got one. If not get the large IMS or Acerbis or Safari, no idea what flavour you prefer - try www.justgastanks.com?

PSst, you dad already? Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon May 13, 2013 6:26 pm

BuRP wrote:If you going to buy from XRsOnly then I'd buy some airfilters, either TwinAir or UNI.
When busy anyway I'd buy some oilfilters also, no idea how easy you get them in Luanda.

Already solved that, have about 10 airfilter+10 oilfiter Smile

Just buy from US when I can't find those parts in Europe...usually try first in UK, ebay or some online store. I send everything to PT and then pick it up.

BuRP wrote:Some spark plugs maybe? I mean, you're going to pay for shipping anyway, so I just added some stuff I wanted anyway.

Just bought some new spark plug (the BKR7 E11). Some one told me that for low octane gas the cold spark was better than hotter BKR8E. That's correct i hope?!

The jets I'd get (and mostly have, same mods as you: PC4, open side, foam filter):

Pilot 25 - you need it, you've got a 27.5 - Check nice
Airjet 1.2 - maybe you already have it? - Waiting for confirmation
(Main140 you already have)
9DJY1 needle - maybe you already have it? Check nice
Y4 needle jet - maybe you already have it? Check nice
You can get all this from Sudco (US).

BuRP wrote:
Please note though, this TM40 carb works with different cables! You have these? If so good, but are they long enough? If not you will want to measure the length you need, to compensate for risers and/or high bars you may have.
I had my 3"-longer cables made by Pro-Motion I think. They make any cable at any length, contact them if you need some.

Check nice

BuRP wrote:
What else to buy? Hey bru, you know you'll need a large tank, no idea if you've got one. If not get the large IMS or Acerbis or Safari, no idea what flavour you prefer - try www.justgastanks.com?

Check nice

BuRP wrote:PSst, you dad already? Bump

Nope, still waiting little guy...Angolan doctor mess up and give a incorrect birth date, 2 weeks wrong. scratch scratch beat head angry Frustrated Let's see what happens this week.

tnks 2 thumbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 14, 2013 8:54 pm

babuja wrote:
Airjet 1.2 - maybe you already have it? - Waiting for confirmation

Check, it's a 1.2 AJ Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 14, 2013 10:21 pm

Ooh, wait, cold & warm sparkplugs...... has zero to do with the gas-quality.
Mind, in theory - and only there* - it does, as the combustion chamber's volume (hence compression ratio hence the detonation-sensitivity) depends for a small part on the 'open volume' the sparkplug represents.
A 'cold' plug has a shorter nose (less open volume) than a 'warm' plug (more), so in theory a colder plug will effect a higher compression - and consequently, for a low fuel quality (octane rating) a warmer plug would be better (the the CR is less hence more tolerant against detonation) hence the advice given is wrong..... however never-ever put a warmer plug in an engine than what the manufacturer prescribes!
I'd stick to the prescribed plug B, after all the Baja's as warm as Africa is. Maybe 1 degree colder but that's it, not more (colder plugs foul hence fail earlier).

Looks like your carb is "plug & play" as it is! Bump

Tell il dottore he's a coillone, but at least you'll have 2 more weeks sleep banana

* disclaimer: for very small displacement engines is does make a diff, like a 50cc racing 2stroke, but on our big bugger forget it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 14, 2013 10:32 pm

I forget/forgot:
- some copper-paste/anti-seize compound (used anywhere you do not use Locktite).
- Locktite Blue (nutlocker) and Red (studlocker) to prevent bolts rattling loose.
- waterproof grease (normal grease is not, so I use only waterproof stuff these days), and you may have to search for it.
I always use some copaslip on the sparkplug, better heat-transfer then too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue May 14, 2013 10:41 pm

BuRP wrote:Ooh, wait, cold & warm sparkplugs...... has zero to do with the gas-quality.
Mind, in theory - and only there* - it does, as the combustion chamber's volume (hence compression ratio hence the detonation-sensitivity) depends for a small part on the 'open volume' the sparkplug represents.
A 'cold' plug has a shorter nose (less open volume) than a 'warm' plug (more), so in theory a colder plug will effect a higher compression - and consequently, for a low fuel quality (octane rating) a warmer plug would be better (the the CR is less hence more tolerant against detonation) hence the advice given is wrong..... however never-ever put a warmer plug in an engine than what the manufacturer prescribes!
I'd stick to the prescribed plug B, after all the Baja's as warm as Africa is. Maybe 1 degree colder but that's it, not more (colder plugs foul hence fail earlier).

oowoo, okapa.

BuRP wrote:Looks like your carb is "plug & play" as it is! Bump

I believe this babes are a litle temperamental, aren't they?... BRP smile

BuRP wrote: Tell il dottore he's a coillone, but at least you'll have 2 more weeks sleep banana

I already did Bump ...at this moment i'm in hospital and tomorrow who knows BRP smile

BuRP wrote:I forget/forgot:
- some copper-paste/anti-seize compound (used anywhere you do not use Locktite).
- Locktite Blue (nutlocker) and Red (studlocker) to prevent bolts rattling loose.
- waterproof grease (normal grease is not, so I use only waterproof stuff these days), and you may have to search for it.
I always use some copaslip on the sparkplug, better heat-transfer then too.

Tnks BuRP...Already have that Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:37 am

Some update...carb installed and rocking...need to teste it for fine tunning.
Filter installed...

Mikuni Tm 40 carb 1256510_669709839713763_1543626386_n

Need to proper hold it...

Mikuni Tm 40 carb 1010023_669709716380442_1160691705_n

Back to top Go down

Mikuni Tm 40 carb Empty re: sp/plugs

Post  Guest Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:27 am

honda actually list the bkr8e-11 as a colder plug to use for more low speed running

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:02 pm

I like how you solved the choke problem , mine solution looks far worse , i need to make some kind of bracket for it , cable ties and safety wire at this moment Embarassed 

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:17 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:I like how you solved the choke problem , mine solution looks far worse , i need to make some kind of bracket for it  , cable ties and safety wire at this moment Embarassed 
Pass me the bucket I'm going to be sick....Frustrated 
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:16 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:... mine solution looks far worse 
Really?! Bump 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:09 pm