Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

XRR in the CO mountains

Go down

XRR in the CO mountains Empty XRR in the CO mountains

Post  Guest Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:54 am

Having ridden my BRP on the trails around Silverton CO for 3 days so far, here's a bit of my impressions. I'll be brief, I'm no writer.

Yep, she's heavy, and after a few hours, very heavy. When things get slow, her weight is tough for this old man to handle. We're not doing any single track, that is a blessing. On the plus side, point her nose where you want to go, give her gas, and it almost doesn't matter what the surface is like, she'll go there. That said, large, loose, slide rock is not good, and I crashed on it our 2nd day out.

On the tech side, I did not gear her well for this ride. I was so concerned with my carb setting, I didn't pay enough attention to gearing. I went stock, 14/48. Way too high. No engine braking on the steeper slopes. Could've used the help. Going to 14/52, or even 56, would have been better.

Back to the carb. I have a Qwiksilver II. I've read all the negatives about this carb, and now I couldn't care less about that. The only negative I see is lack of parts. I'll change at some point b/c I have to, not b/c I want to. We're based at 9300ft. I have a 19-E needle and couldn't find any others that were leaner by just a step or 2. So I came on out with the needle adjusted 10 clicks back from full rich, figured I had 22 clicks left to full lean. 1st ride was up to 11000ft. She ran fine, but we felt a bit of adjustment was in order. Put in 5 clicks towards lean. 2nd ride was up to 13000ft and she ran great, even after my crash and her laying on her side spilling gas. Today's ride was up over 12000ft, no running problems. I've got 17 clicks more to full lean, but I don't need them.

So, my BRP is not the bike for many of these mountain roads, but she does a better than expected job out here. And an experienced off-road rider could easily have fun with her up here.

ACE

Back to top Go down

XRR in the CO mountains Empty Re: XRR in the CO mountains

Post  Guest Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:35 am

Big elevations range you ride in!
You may want to try following.
Get an 'open' sidepanel if you don't have it already.
Tape it off/closed at home (~3K ft), and adjust/jet the carb accordingly.
Going a bit lower all will be fine-enough.
Going higher to 'very high' it will start to starve for air, and then take off the tape on the sidecover...
Re-tape when coming down again!

No, not my idea/invention (I'm just posing as a clever dick) but I read it somewhere, and it is a good idea I think.
Oh, also tape it up when you go wading in deep water, obviously Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Acew -

What - no pictures?!?!?!?!

I'll be in Ouray in 2 weeks and hope to post a bunch of pics of the ride.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:12 pm

On the road home. Will see about posting a few when I get home. Ouray is a nice little town. Have an Elk burger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:51 am

Well, seeing as to how I don't have an image hosting site, I'm afraid pix will not be forthcoming ... sorry  shrug .

ACE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down