Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer!

Go down

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer! Empty Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer!

Post  Guest Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:15 pm

Two for one!

Trying to knock down some heat ...

Headers failed on my Dually so I sent them back to Thorley for a replacement set. Now they only sell them with the aerospace coating (resin + aluminum dust and baked). So I talked them into sending my PC T-4 header and pipe over to the aerospace facility in LA that does the coatings for Thorley. The engineer at Thorley said the coating reduced underhood temps by 400 degrees. Pipe looks great. BTW, I believe the engineer. After I put those headers on years ago I can't keep stuff working under the hood. Everything has a short life. Talked to some mechanic friends who have had the same experience ...

However, the T-4 fitment, combined with the Fluidyne radiators fitment, and the 4.6 IMS tank fitment somehow caused a change in one radiator hose. No matter what I tried the hose rubs on the pipe. So I've taken the water pump off and am in the process of cutting, grinding, and welding back together the exhaust outlet for the water pump. Will post After photo when I get it all back together. Here's the Before photo.

Between the Fluidynes, the ceramic coating, and the Evans I should be able to use this thing for an irrigation pump without heating issues.

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer! HoseClearance2

Last edited by Bump on Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer! Empty Re: Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer!

Post  Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:00 am

Bump wrote: I should be able to use this thing for an irrigation pump without heating issues.
Never heard that before, I like it, would make an awesome irrigation pump prime mover! You could spin one heall of pump. What a Face

Back to top Go down

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer! Empty Irrigation Pump

Post  Guest Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:00 am

I heard a long time ago that the original engine for the 550 Kawasaki Jet Ski was an irrigation pump in Japan. Not sure it's true. I used to ski with a guy at Parker whose father invented what became the Jet Ski.

Back to top Go down

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer! Empty That's him

Post  Guest Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:54 am

His son is named Clayton as well. The old man travels a lot. If you are familiar with Parker his house is the one directly upriver from Sundance bar. It has a grass roof on the house and a launch ramp for his turbo prop sea plane. The guy lives pretty large.

Back to top Go down

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer! Empty After Photos

Post  Guest Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:10 am

Got it all done and back together.

Cut, ground, weld, bead blast, some clear lacquer, voila; I got clearance.

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer! DSCN3909

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer! DSCN3910

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer! DSCN3906

Back to top Go down

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer! Empty Re: Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer!

Post  Guest Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:24 am

How much did it cost to have your Header coated?

BTW, I believe the engineer. After I put those headers on years ago I can't keep stuff working under the hood. Everything has a short life. Talked to some mechanic friends who have had the same experience ...

What do you mean by the above statement?

Back to top Go down

Header Coating and Water Pump Problem - Twofer! Empty Cooking parts ...

Post  Guest Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:39 am

AURORA wrote:How much did it cost to have your Header coated?
I paid $70. I masked off the male ends of the slip fits. They did the rest. I can touch it while it's running - it's still hot but not insta-burn like before. I really wanted to avoid an added mechanical device: i. e. a fan. Ideally, all the changes were ones I wanted to be static so no failure. I called Pro Circuit and spoke with two engineers there about what to do. And I spoke at length several times with a couple of engineers at Thorley, plus a friend who works with the stuff at a high end machine shop in LA (I'm from LA). All said wrapping the pipe was a bad way to go. The pipe tubing just isn't really chosen with the parameter of having a blanket on it and the resultant rise in operating temperature.
I went overkill on this with the NPG-R, Fluidynes, and coated header but I want this bike to be happy no matter what I'm doing. That said, I took my time looking for the radiators and found a new set for $200. I like riding in the desert in the Summer because it's really empty out there. But the temps are often 120ish. Saw 134 once at Parker. And I also want the BRP to be happy as I put around behind my kids.
Gene Lane just uses NPG+ on his race bikes and has no problems ever whether he's racing or play riding.

"BTW, I believe the engineer. After I put those headers on years ago I can't keep stuff working under the hood. Everything has a short life. Talked to some mechanic friends who have had the same experience ..."
After I installed the uncoated headers a lot of parts started failing under the hood of my 1991 Chevy Crewcab Dually (last year of old body style). I mean everything: two power steering pumps (brakes run off the pump in this year), two cruise controls, two alternators, one water pump, two distributors (the electronics failed), two electric fans, one battery, one air conditioning compressor (by this point I understood the problem and didn't replace the AC until the new headers were on), several sensors and chingaderras. All this happened in about 35K miles. A friend who owns a repair shop said he put them on his dually and had the same problem. He actually made some aluminum heat shields for some of his components.

What do you mean by the above statement?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down