Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gear Whining

Go down

Gear Whining Empty Gear Whining

Post  Guest Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:43 am

Howzit Guys, i have a question about my newly acquired BRP. I have noticed a whine in my 3rd gear at low revs, if i go to second there is no whine and if i go up to 4th there is no whine. If i pick the revs up in 3rd it seems to go away but it could be the exhaust sound is covering it and all the other engine and drivetrain noises. Now my buddy who also has a 650 r went on a short ride yesterday. I rode his bike and it does not have that noise in 3rd gear and he can also hear it when he rides my bike. Any wisdom or suggestions on this?

Back to top Go down

Gear Whining Empty Re: Gear Whining

Post  Mauser Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:52 pm

Welcome these bikes don't suffer from your whine problem ?, in-fact the gearboxes seem bomb proof ?
Try changing the oil for starters see if that helps Bump
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:20 am

wheeler wrote:Any wisdom or suggestions on this?

Yip: if you're sure this is an odd noise only audible in 3rd gear then you pluck the engine out and open it up.
Yeah, you'll protest and be unhappy and may want to lynch me now, so before you get handy locate the 2nd fine-mesh (steel gauze) filter/screen (it's behind the clutch i.e inside the engine) and check it.... it quite likely will have some metal debris on it.
Mind, I take it you've changed the oil already, 1rst mesh screen included, and did drain the engine as part of that? If you got a magnetic drainplug(s), any shavings seen? Oh, and you filled it the correct way again, and if you dunno howto then this may seem an odd remark?
In short an odd noise has a cause, and with a gearbox this hardly ever is a pleasant surprise Bump

Welkom hier origens Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:58 pm

Hey Burp, i have seen you on the wilddogs forum, thanks for the reply. I did not want to start asking this question on the wilddogs forum as i have just bought the bike from a fellow WD and wanted to be sure about whether i have a valid issue or not. I have mentioned it to him and he says he never picked up any noises with the bike. He does seem like a genuine oke and dont think he would lie about it. I have changed the oil since and did check the wire mesh filter in the frame and it had some small metal shavings but not more excessive than any other bikes mesh filters i have seen. The whine can be heard at low revs in 3rd gear but as soon as you accelerate it goes away. I have just bought the bike and very reluctant to take the motor out and strip it completely. The previous owner just had new valves put in and rings while it was open. I am surprised the mechanic never picked up the noise after he did the work on the motor and probably test rode it. How easy is it to source spares for these bikes in terms of gearbox stuff and how costly are they?. Thanks for your assistance man!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:54 am

Jo W,

nice bike that is, no sarcasm whatsoever.
Get yourself some magnetic drainplugs (XRsOnly or why) and put these in, but after you've checked the gauze screen in the engine, it lives behind the clutch. If you'll find larger debris here then you'll know what to do - plus you'll know what the clutch looks like.
Look, you bought an old offroad bike (it IS but hear me out) plus you paid a relative fortune for it (we all do down here)... because you want it, not so? Then I bet you also want it to be 100%!
Here's the thing: if I ever have to open my 2002 up (many km's, unknown to me) I'll do everything inside: all bearings and seals at the very minimum plus whatever needs attention, the crank not unlikely, gears, clutch etc etc, and yes, this will be a costly exercise. But, what I'll end up with is "as good as new", and that is what I will like because I can take it to remote areas again, peace of mind.
You'll know why you bought this bike, over to you... Cool
I buy the spares at the stealer, dear but good stuff, and they've got the lot.

Edited a bit later: Funny you don't want to ask on WD? They also read here lol. Conrad @ Offroadcycles/Pta (he's Runner on WD) is your go-to man if you need special stuff/attention. In the Cape I dunno anyone specific, dunno where you are.
And lastly, if you know of an XRR for sale pls let me know, a good friend of mine who had one wants one again - read that again, you do not sell this bike, ever!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:45 am

Howdy B, i suppose i dont want to make the guy look like a skelm asking advice on the WD forum about the whining gear after i just bought the bike from him and only rode it when it arrived by me, but i was advised by another WD member about this bike being sold by his close friend so i went on his advice and the seller that the bike was perfect. These things can start a war of words on the forum which i dont want to cause. Thanks for all your advice boet!

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:57 pm

Price of genuine parts here in OZ is enough to make you pass out, but yes at least you know it will fit and the quality on Honda parts is pretty much spot on. I have however had parts sent from PARTZILLA , somewhere in USA. You can go straight to the genuine part listings for your model of bike and order online.Just an example a crankshaft from the dealer here is $886 Dollars, from Partzilla was $416 i think last time i looked, exactly the same Honda part no. Yes of course you also have to calculate the currency exchange rate and freight but even allowing for that i have had parts sent here and still averages about %35-40 cheaper than buying from the honda dealers here and the waiting time really is not much longer.Personally i think the dealers here do not keep xr650 parts in stock, anything ordered is always back ordered and can take weeks to arrive, they are more than likely waiting for the part to arrive from overseas. Just an option to look at if you don’t want to throw money at the local dealer, as the saying goes SHOP AROUND nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:53 pm

x2 what burp said. i do the same with wifey's bike, something funny going on i replace as much as i can while i'm in there. doesn't sound attractive to do, but you have a rare bike that can last. relatively speaking you'll get your money back in two ways: 1) seat of the pants riding. 2) ease of mind. What's not mentioned and what we shall not speak about: high demand in your area if you ever decide to re-sell. But, you might regret that sale quickly. If i was in the area, i'd help you out. Wrenched on this thing more times than i care to think about.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:00 am

2ndA732 wrote:high demand in your area

Well now 2ndpal, you seem to be rather well-informed, especially so for a Yankee?
Shucks, the mere fact that you know where Sous Effrika is .... I'm impressed Bru!
Right, no more piss-taking for the US okes here, and if whoever reads here feels offended: grow some humour please? Bump

You're wrong though lemme tell you - ever seen hen's teeth?
I have a few in stock, bloody difficult to get hold of ..... but, compared to finding an R this is easy! Wink
They were never officially imported here, only a few grey's were brought in, obviously by those who really wanted one/them!
And, naturally the fanbase was always much larger than the small qty which was brought in.
That still is the case, demand outstrips any possible supply, so if one goes up for sale two things happen: it's sold within days & it goes for a ludicrous amount!

So, it follows that only idiots have them here.
I own two, which makes me what?
BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:41 pm

well it looks like someone don't like the good ol USA. i won't judge, there's some i wouldn't spend my time with either. Maybe some of those trust fund babies that pencil in the boxes of a ballot.

sounds like you have (2) two good investments north of cape town. alot better than one of those three wheeled motorcycles that seem to be a trend around here. i'd say you're living by that great saying, "one is none, two is one, and three is two".

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down