Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sons new bike

Go down

Sons new bike Empty Sons new bike

Post  Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:15 am

My 16 year old son took the leap today and bought a new bike, well new to him. He bought a 2003 YZ450F. Yep a big step above his CRF150f. He had been looking at 250's

The bike was on craigslist and said "Must sell before I kill myself on this bike" The guy went riding and messed himself up on it so he said it was time for it to go. Me and his moms b/f decided to go look at it.

All work done on the bike was at a dealer, including oil changes according to the pile of reciepts we seen. Just had a valve adjustment, new sprockets, new chain, new clutch, tires are new and rear spring work done. The bike has been regeared for trails and has been sitting for a few months. Has a few blemishes but nothing to sweat about.

Son got it for 2000 bucks deal

Kind of a bad pic but this is it

Sons new bike Img0282

Back to top Go down

Sons new bike Empty Re: Sons new bike

Post  Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:19 pm

Nice bike.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:09 pm

Nice score. I hope your son is a good rider, those bikes are fast as he!!. I really like the Yamaha YZF/WRF machines. Very reliable and trouble free from my experience. I've owned an '01 YZ426 and '03 WR450. I'd probably have another WR if there was no XR650R. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:39 pm

brucifer wrote:Nice score. I hope your son is a good rider, those bikes are fast as he!!. I really like the Yamaha YZF/WRF machines. Very reliable and trouble free from my experience. I've owned an '01 YZ426 and '03 WR450. I'd probably have another WR if there was no XR650R. Very Happy

He is pretty good. We are going to head this weekend to some trails. Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:41 pm

Good deal on the price... A lot of bike for 16 year old, plus side is he'll not out grow it....

Looking at how you have it tide down in the truck...you may want to pick up a fork saver. I lost count of how many fork seals I have blown out due to not using one and strapping the bike down on the trailer...

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:25 am

Heading out tomorrow for him to break it in, snow, rain hail or sleet cant keep a 16 year old from wanting to try out his new bike Very Happy

Ran into a problem getting the title transfered. The State says the bikes fair market value is 3300, not the 2000 he paid for it so he had to dig into his savings and come up with the extra. Me and his mothers deal was he would wait and save his money for a bike he wanted and what ever extras were involved. Me and his mom agreed this would be best. He saved his money and it wasnt a problem.

Sucks, isnt right and is a rip off but its over and done with.

After a e-mail to the State to figure out how they come up with the value they sent this... I get it now but at the time I sent the e-mail I didnt and was pissed about it.

Dear Ray,

The Department of Revenue goes by the Fair Market Value of the vehicle/orv/motorcycles, etc., not by Kelley Blue Book or NADA.

Thank you,

Vehicle Customer Services

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:25 PM
To: DOL INT Titles
Subject: Dispute in Vehicle Blue Book Value

We just transferred the title and got the new ORV tabs for my sons Motorcycle and after the shock of the charges I came home and did some research in the bikes retail value.

According to Kelly Blue Book site the trade-in value of the bike is $1755.00

The retail value of the bike is $2605.00

Both these values shown are for a bike in excellent condition, this bike wasn’t and it needs work, that’s why we got it so cheap.

Now my question is where did the State of Washington get a blue book value of $3300.00?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:15 pm

I'm sorry thats a bunch of crap. When I was in my 20's I bought a 73 Mustang Mach1 for $1500. I went to DMV with the title that said I had paid $500 for it, well the woman behind the counter starts asking me when I get it insured how much am I going to insure it for. I tell her I dont know, so she says lets just say $2500 so she put down $2500 as the amount I paid for the car. So I ended up paying tax on $2500 instead of $500 or even $1500. I later was talking with a friend and he said it was a bunch of crap, what does DMV have to do with insurance. This was back when you didn't have to even show prof you had insurance to get a title or tag.
It was just some tool trying to make a little more money for the state and screw a young guy with little money. rant

So what I get from what they wrote is that they go through all the classifieds to find out fair market value. What would they have done if it was a gift?
I think there full of not funny not funny not funny not funny

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:21 pm

So yeah, another case of the Government robbing us blind.

And this is new how?

Btw your son must be a big boy or a sick rider because that bike is an animal! bow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 22, 2009 5:19 am

Off the Grid wrote:So yeah, another case of the Government robbing us blind.

And this is new how?

Btw your son must be a big boy or a sick rider because that bike is an animal! bow

He is about 6'1" now and about 125 lbs. He is a pretty good rider, been riding since he was 7 and after riding my 650 a few times he knows not to be stupid but respectful.

He learned alot today riding it. After riding today his only complaints were:

1. He cant figure out that hot start lever. If he killed it while it was hot it was hard to restart.

2. He said the front suspension is way to stiff for him and his weight ( he bought the bike from a guy who was 6'5" and 250) so he needs to do some tweaking on it.

3. He said the rear brake is to sensitive, to the point if he used it to hard it killed the motor really easy and then he was back to complaint number 1

He got about 5 hours of seat time on it today, never crashed and is happy with it.

When I rode it Its a different animal than my 650R. The 650R seems to build its power and torque over a bigger RPM range. When his 450 hits its right there, needless to say the front end of the bike loves to be off the ground at some of the worst times, like halfway up a long steep hill affraid

He wants to run a few poker runs at the Desert 100 in Washington this year for some more seat time.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down