Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chain adjustment

Go down

Chain adjustment Empty Chain adjustment

Post  Guest Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:30 am

I am sitting here as I just adjusted my chain and I am thinking that I have no idea what people are adjusting their chains to. So my question is this.

I have the bike on the stand with freeplay adjustment to 50mm will this be ok? What should it be? I am a little concerned because I have a friend that stripped out a c/s shaft.

Back to top Go down

Chain adjustment Empty Re: Chain adjustment

Post  Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:59 pm

There is a sticker right on the swingarm next to where you are checking the freeplay that says to adjust to 25mm...

Back to top Go down

Chain adjustment Empty proper chain adjustment

Post  Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:05 pm

Stroupdog, passed on his words of wisdom awhile back, here you go. Squash down your suspension flat by using a ratchet strap across the seat until the swingarm is paralell to the ground then adjust the chain just shy of tight, that sould do it! Viola you're done! Remember to check the sitting on the stand tension right after you're done removing the strap. This is your chain tension, unique to you bike. Good day. Another trick is to sit on the bike backwards and check the chain, best if pig is not running.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:41 pm

pakolea wrote:There is a sticker right on the swingarm next to where you are checking the freeplay that says to adjust to 25mm...
I do not have that sticker but I do have the service manual and it says between 20-30mm. My friend adjusted to that spec and stripped out his counter shaft. So I will not adjust to that spec, just for that reason.

I was just trying to find out what the general consensus was on chain adjustment for these BRP's.

My 450x is easily adjusted and on the tight side with no problems. cheers

Back to top Go down

Chain adjustment Empty Here's what I've always done

Post  Guest Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:44 pm

Get the bike on a stand. Put a box style wrench between the chain and the srear sprocket, and roll the wheel so the wrench goind around just a little. Adjust the chain tight, line up the wheel straight, tighten teh axle nuts, adjuster nuts, roll wheel in reverse and remove wrench. Should be right.

A friend just told me team Honda uses that in the pits.

Back to top Go down

Chain adjustment Empty What?

Post  Guest Fri May 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Bump wrote:Get the bike on a stand. Put a box style wrench between the chain and the srear sprocket, and roll the wheel so the wrench goind around just a little. Adjust the chain tight, line up the wheel straight, tighten teh axle nuts, adjuster nuts, roll wheel in reverse and remove wrench. Should be right.

A friend just told me team Honda uses that in the pits.
Can't quite follow, would like to see a picture doh

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Fri May 01, 2009 6:50 pm

mamacone wrote:Can't quite follow, would like to see a picture
I think what he's saying is tighten the chain with an obstruction...When you remove the wrench the proper slack will be left...Right?
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Chain adjustment Empty Ed Zachary

Post  Guest Fri May 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Imagine a box end wrench got caught up in your chain and sprocket, resting in the concave portion of the sprocket, pinned my the chain. I'll look for some photos on the web. Didn't find one.
Ya know how you always were told to keep your fingers away from the bottom of the sprocket where the chain loads on? So imagine sticking a wrench in there and watching it go around the sprocket with the chain pinning it on. I'll take and post a photo later.

Focker has it correct.

Focker wrote:
mamacone wrote:Can't quite follow, would like to see a picture
I think what he's saying is tighten the chain with an obstruction...When you remove the wrench the proper slack will be left...Right?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down