Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How to tell if I've blown a fork seal??

Go down

How to tell if I've blown a fork seal?? Empty How to tell if I've blown a fork seal??

Post  Guest Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:51 pm

I'm wondering if I've blown a fork seal. It looked like the was some seepage on the back side of a fork leg. When I compress the forks, they make a sort of dry, scraping sound. But, they may have made that soudn when I got the bike. I just don't know.

Can anyone tell me how to tell for sure? Thanks!!

Back to top Go down

How to tell if I've blown a fork seal?? Empty Re: How to tell if I've blown a fork seal??

Post  Guest Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:21 pm

Yeti, do you have any pics? You may just have something (grit, etc.) stuck under the seal and making it leak. In that case you can get some 35 mm film negative or buy a seal cleaning tool (very cheap) to clean that stuff out. The metal grinding sound is a concern and could be worn out bushings. Hard to say without hearing it.

Back to top Go down

How to tell if I've blown a fork seal?? Empty Re: How to tell if I've blown a fork seal??

Post  Guest Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:29 pm

Yeti, You left yourself wide open on that one!

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Doug,
How long have you been waiting to use that one? naughty

Yeti wrote:I'm wondering if I've blown a fork seal. It looked like the was some seepage on the back side of a fork leg. When I compress the forks, they make a sort of dry, scraping sound. But, they may have made that soudn when I got the bike. I just don't know.

Can anyone tell me how to tell for sure? Thanks!!
Mine looked like it was leaking after performing a full blown fork maintenance. Turned out the oil that I saw seeping was from being trapped under the fork boot. If you haven't recently flushed your fork oil it sounds like the best thing to do is take it apart...Looks like a tech day is in store.
http://www.xr650r.us/issues/9.shtml
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 09, 2008 3:56 am

Doug wrote:Yeti, You left yourself wide open on that one!

Ok. I laughed at that one!! Smile Smile Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down