Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help needed with constant brake light on.

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Help needed with constant brake light on. Empty Help needed with constant brake light on.

Post  Guest Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:49 pm

Hi all my xr has developed a strange fault, the brake light bulb blow yesterday so i replaced it and checked it and all was good, but when i got the bike back out today its now got a constantly turned on brake light(both filaments on) unless i turn the lights off at the switch and then the brake light wont work at all from the front or the rear brake  beat head 

anybody got any idea's what it could be and were to start looking as i am terrible with electrics  

Back to top Go down

Help needed with constant brake light on. Empty Re: Help needed with constant brake light on.

Post  Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:21 am

Switch on the brake pedel bad.

Take a multimeter, disconnect the brake pedal switch, test the switch.

Back to top Go down

Help needed with constant brake light on. Empty Re: Help needed with constant brake light on.

Post  Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:24 am

AURORA wrote:Switch on the brake pedel bad.

Take a multimeter, disconnect the brake pedal switch, test the switch.

Thanks AURORA i will check that out today  nice 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:58 am

Of course use ohm setting first for connectivity circuit test.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:21 am

AURORA wrote:Of course use ohm setting first for connectivity circuit test.

Will do AURORA, just need to get my hands on a multimeter now BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:12 pm

Simple enough, your ground seems to be open-circuit - that's disconnected/broken, so fix that and it'll work again  Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:40 pm

Bring it to me when you have time , i will look at it mate .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:58 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:Bring it to me when you have time , i will look at it mate .

cheers for the offer frosty but the problem is sorted, even had time to give the bike a good clean down afterwards  2 thumbs 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:39 am

kirky wrote:problem is sorted

Watwazzit?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:10 pm

BuRP wrote:
kirky wrote:problem is sorted

Watwazzit?

I'm not a 100% sure to tell the truth  shrug , i just cleaned all the connections and insulated everything that i could see and tested it and it now works  2 thumbs 

so thank you to everybody for the help and advice  BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:44 pm

Hawthorne effect

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:05 pm

well i thought i had fixed it but two bulbs later after a 5 minute ride would say otherwise  beat head 

1st bulb
Help needed with constant brake light on. Bulb_110

2nd bulb
Help needed with constant brake light on. Bulb_210

first one blow when i kicked the bike into life and the second one died shortly afterwards shrug 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:16 pm

Sounds like your regulator isn't doing its job.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:12 pm

I have to agree with ooeddym it seems that you need a new regulator , we need to measure the voltage when your bike is running to see if its within the spec .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:16 pm

ooeddym wrote:Sounds like your regulator isn't doing its job.

one regulator replaced  BRP smile 

Help needed with constant brake light on. Regula11

luckily i had a spare one that i tested a while ago but i'm all out of bulbs so i will have to wait till the morning.

fingers crossed it is just that bow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:21 pm

13,5 -14,5 volts at 4500 rpm's .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:26 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:13,5 -14,5 volts at 4500 rpm's  .

cheers frosty, if it blows the next bulb tomorrow and i cant get my hands on a multimeter i might take you up on your offer at some point BRP smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:33 pm

Andy that is the regulator/rectifier on your picture , you need to check the ac regulator ( the finned aluminium thingy attached to the top of your airbox ) .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:39 pm

Mad Frosty wrote:Andy that is the regulator/rectifier on your picture , you need to check the ac regulator ( the finned aluminium thingy attached to the top of your airbox ) .

will do frosty, i'll try tomorrow and thanks  nice 

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:14 pm

Is that a DC regulator in the picture? My bike stock only had the aluminum finned AC version bolted under the seat.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:18 am

yes thats a dc reg in the pic only comes stock on the euro and aus versions of the xrr , the black thing nxt to it is a capacitor

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:15 am

Yip, only 1 reg mounted, either AC or DC... not 2 of them.
I think a bulb on a vibrator cannot last, you're better off mounting the LED kit (brake & tail).
But, inferior quality bulbs often last as long (lol, short I mean) as you indicate, best is to buy Osram or Philips globes only.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:10 am

kirky wrote:
ooeddym wrote:Sounds like your regulator isn't doing its job.

one regulator replaced  BRP smile 

Help needed with constant brake light on. Regula11

luckily i had a spare one that i tested a while ago but i'm all out of bulbs so i will have to wait till the morning.

fingers crossed it is just that bow

Which two wires are the 12VDC + & - coming out of the reg pictured here?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:14 am

The black wire that dont go to the cap or that lil black tube ...green is neg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:15 am

i have just found a nice LED kit on ebay but i don't dare buy it till i have this problem sort.

sorry about the quality of the picture, here's a slightly better one Zoro

Help needed with constant brake light on. 2014-014

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next