Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

adding Horn to stock stator,LED flasher wires

Go down

adding Horn to stock stator,LED flasher wires Empty adding Horn to stock stator,LED flasher wires

Post  Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:30 am

Hi to all,

I just introduced myself here few days ago.

I got stock stator with LED rear light,blinkers - no battery. Bike doesn't have a Horn. Just got one from BD. Reading I found out they can burn. Before it burns,I'd like to see if anyone could help me with wiring it up.

I saw someone writing somewhere that he just hook up Horn to 9V battery. Sounds good to me (for now).
Also the guy I bought bike from put rear LED blinkers too close to exhaust that one burnt on my way home. They were working before. I put "brighter" LED's on back and they won't flash now at all. Why is that? Well I just got TUSK LED flasher,but don't know how to wire it. Any ideas?

Old flasher had Orange coming from blinker's switch hooked on X ,and blue cable was connected to L.
How do I connect TUSK with RED and BLACK?

Bike is in garage and I didn't have a chance to ride yet :-(

Need help please.

Thanks

Back to top Go down

adding Horn to stock stator,LED flasher wires Empty Re: adding Horn to stock stator,LED flasher wires

Post  Mauser Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:07 am

Your bike doesn't have a battery ?......scratch
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

adding Horn to stock stator,LED flasher wires Empty Re: adding Horn to stock stator,LED flasher wires

Post  Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:30 am

LED-flasher, horn & LED lights need DC..... and I think you only have AC

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:51 pm

BuRP wrote:LED-flasher, horn & LED lights need DC..... and I think you only have AC
But he doesn't have a battery ?......
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:59 pm

Yes,it doesn't even have a battery Frustrated

what is the cheapest way to get it to work? do I need rectifier and battery from BD? What else? wow what the journey study

added:but the LED blinkers worked before thou

Last edited by baachor on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:51 pm

No batt needed, just a rectifier for the bits you're going to DC-power. If that's going to be "all" then yeah, a proper r/rect is what you'll need.

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:09 pm

I have an AC horn and no battery, I used a kill switch as the horn button it don't sound very loud but passes the test. You will get funny results with indicators/flasher units running AC only...really needs to be rectified to DC.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:53 pm

but he said the LED blinkers were working before...did YOU see them working or did the guy you bought it off tell you they worked?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:30 am

Thank You all for helping,

yes I saw blinkers were working before. I wouldn't buy it otherwise nice

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:24 am

Mauser,

which rectifier you'd recommend? BD? Do you know how to install it? I'm total noob Rolling Eyes

what about that horn? where do I hook it up? I'm not electrically experienced beat head

Last edited by baachor on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding)

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:31 am

I used a the stock push button kill switch as my horn, you either need to take a 12v+ to 1 side of the horn from either the loom or maybe from the headlight, then take another wire from the other horn connector and take it to the push kill switch....of course I then fitted the standard XR250R/XR400R kill switch which is the rocker type clicks for run and clicks again for off.
If you wanted to add DC for the horn and indicators etc I would fit a XR250R/XR400R/XR650R European rectifier or any of a similar style bike to yet again the power feed from the regulator which feeds the headlight, you might have to chop of the standard plug which comes with them to connect to the loom as you will only need 4 wires 2~AC in and 2~DC out might be worth checking ebay for some nice Honda style 4 pin plug and sockets... ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Honda-Suzuki-Yamaha-4-Way-Connector-Red-Hitachi-/111056001119?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19db74185f
I use these as they will connect straight into stock connectors if you get the right version.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:39 am

well,blinkers are not working with TUSK flasher.They just lit up tiny bit no matter RPM. Looks like time for getting 12V battery,rectifier. Anyone can help me with wiring?

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:40 am

Mauser wrote:I used a the stock push button kill switch as my horn, you either need to take a 12v+ to 1 side of the horn from either the loom or maybe from the headlight, then take another wire from the other horn connector and take it to the push kill switch....of course I then fitted the standard XR250R/XR400R kill switch which is the rocker type clicks for run and clicks again for off.
If you wanted to add DC for the horn and indicators etc I would fit a XR250R/XR400R/XR650R European rectifier or any of a similar style bike to yet again the power feed from the regulator which feeds the headlight, you might have to chop of the standard plug which comes with them to connect to the loom as you will only need 4 wires 2~AC in and 2~DC out might be worth checking ebay for some nice Honda style 4 pin plug and sockets... ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kawasaki-Honda-Suzuki-Yamaha-4-Way-Connector-Red-Hitachi-/111056001119?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19db74185f
I use these as they will connect straight into stock connectors if you get the right version.

Thanx Mauser,

in process of getting rectifier.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:39 am

awright,

tomorrow I shuold have the reg/rectifier with battery from BD.

How do I wire it up? Change the regulator do DC one,wires from DC side to battery? How about LED flasher,horn,light? All to the battery? Do I need any fuse,etc? Reg/rect comes with fuse.

Anyone have some wire diagram link or picture??

Need to fix it so I can start riding BRP asap Rolling Eyes 

Thanx

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:26 pm

Do you guys still enjoy electric puzzles? lol

NOTE:I've never messed with electric so pardon my noobiness.

Here's the bike I just bought:

Looking at Stock diagram and my bike,basically my bike (plated) is STOCK (55W Stator,all AC,35W headlight) with ADDED:

-LED blinkers (grounded)
-BD LED tail/brake (grounded) - with stock tail missing
-"Leonelli Art 074 Pat" handlebar switch (WTF google won't find much details haha)
-flasher (TUSK LED one since NEW rear blinkers didn't and still don't flash after I changed them)

Learned here that I need to make it DC in order to run horn and LED flasher (also California law:light must be on with engine off for 20 min).

So I bought:

-horn (BD)
-reg/rect (BD wired one with fuse)
-Battery (BD)

On what I have learned/read so far is that all DC must be floated (not grounded to frame).
Headlight must be on DC (CA law) - not that I care that much actually

How do I connect it all?

This is what I think how to do this (just would like you guys to confirm,add,suggest help please):

1. Change AC reg(Yellow,white & Green) to BD reg/rect (Yellow & Yellow ????)
2. BD reg/rect BLACK -> Negative on Batt.
               RED   -> Positive on Batt. -> RED w/ Fuse -> Load
3. ground from Tail,blinkers,horn to NEgative on battery (float) ???
4. there is black (ground?) on handlebar switch that goes to blinkers,should I leave it?
5. assuming stock Headlight is not High beam,means I need new Headlight that stock 55W stator would be able to handle= 35W? this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8587717&postcount=116 sounds interesting
6. also assuming I have to wire Headlight to DC too?
7. current FLASHER wiring is ONE to blue on Headlight and OTHER goes to ORANGE on Hendlabar switch,leave it?
8. do I need 16 AWG wire?
9. do I need FUSES?
10. I'd like to wire it for "possible" future BD stator rewound setup
11. and thinking about installing BD key switch also
12. Thinking about getting fan too, in near future

I have to say I like RideFreak's wire diagram but I don't have dual stator (yet=$$).

Thank You all for helping in this amazing post.

adding Horn to stock stator,LED flasher wires Camera10

adding Horn to stock stator,LED flasher wires Camera11

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:04 am

Sorry for sounding useless but very hard to advise on wiring a bike when it's not infront of you. Headlight will work on AC just fine, do you not need a dipped and main beam ?....we do over here failing that you remove all lights and get a pass with no lights fitted....go figure lol.
You really do need to work out how the basics first how many earths you require and where along with supplies to brake lights horns flashers etc even the kill switch requires an earth of some sort. Honda don't do fancy looms on the 650R if you carefully unwrap the stock loom you will find metal crimps where they expanding the loom to create more feeds, earths etc.
Draw up on paper what you need and where it needs to be on the bike....here is my loom below.

adding Horn to stock stator,LED flasher wires Wiring

Bit frustrating at times as you will find you either don't have the vorrect colour wires to maintain the wiring diagrams theme or you won't have the correct terminals...

As for the flashers etc, use the 650R UK spec wiring and copy how they connect them up to the flasher....
Keep us posted Bump

Forgot to mention I only need a horn for UK MOT luckily my tester is a top guy who doesn't worry about lights as mentioned if they do meet standards we just don't test them no lights no fail lol, no indicators needed or brake lights as they come under the lighting rule, however the Police will still hassle you if you ride after dark....which I don't as I would turn into Pumpkin lol.
Will probably remove the brake switches from the loom at some stage as I don't need them for my riding as it's not dark and I don't get anyone following me down the lanes.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:24 am

I hear ya, You like it simple. me too but can't ride like that on fwy here beat head 

Interesting your horn is AC Frustrated 

I got rear brake switch,at least something Smile 

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:36 am

baachor wrote: I hear ya, You like it simple. me too but can't ride like that on fwy here beat head 

Interesting your horn is AC Frustrated 

I got rear brake switch,at least something Smile 

The AC horn isn't the loudest lol....infact it hardly works so be warned lol....might end up with an electrical buzzer of some sort.
Mauser
XRR Monger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:39 pm

Yea,I'm gonna use DC for it is DC Horn anyway.

Back to top Go down

adding Horn to stock stator,LED flasher wires Empty need help with wires turn/horn/light switch

Post  Guest Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:53 pm

Hello, I want to install LED lights (headlights (hi/lo), breaklights (front/rear) tailights, and turn signals), horn, Trial Tech's Voyager Computer, etc. Please tell me what I may use in order to do it without a battery.
1. Regulator / rectifier
2. And/or capacitor
3. Fuses
4. Wiring Diagrams
5. Switches
6. Etc.
I already have:
1. switch for the headlights, turn signals and horn
2. LED turights
3. Horn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down