Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stator wires?

Go down

Stator wires? Empty Stator wires?

Post  Guest Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:18 pm

My bike has had electrical issues since I bought it nearly two years ago. I love the bike dearly and want to get the electrical sorted out on it so I can ride it at night more. Right now the headlights dims and brightens as the engine is revved up. It has a rewound stator (not sure if 200w or 250w) and it has a baja designs dual sport kit. Coming out of the stator I have:
2 white
1 green
1 green/white
1 grey
1 white/yellow
1 blue/yellow
1 black/red

two white ones are what I have plugged into my yellow wires going to the rectifier
blue/yellow and green/white are in a two wire plug which changes my green/white to a solid green (which gets confusing since I already have a green in the same wire cluster) and I can follow the blue/yellow one to the cdi or ecu or whatever it's called, one of those green wires also goes to that ecu while the other gets grounded on the chasis.
the grey and white/yellow both get spliced into separate brown wires, one is slightly thicker so I'm 90% sure the grey one goes to the ECU and then that leaves the white/yellow wire which disappears inside a shrink tube.
The black/red goes to the ECU. I'm not sure what these wires all are or if they're plugged in properly. I'm tempted to and probably will cut open all of the shrink tubing to get a better look at it all and re-shrink tube it later when it's solved.

Edit: Just tore my dad's stock 650 apart to look at his stator wires. He has all of my wires minus the two white ones. Which to me makes sense (makes sense but is probably 100% inaccurate because I have 0 working knowledge of how a stator works). If the previous owner rewound the stator himself, he would need to add two wires, right? To my limited knowledge, the stock stator only uses half of the poles and to get 200w you can wind around the other poles, which should have a live and a ground coming out of the harness, right? Once again, I'm not going to touch anything until I get someone who knows what they're talking about to let me know. I'm not nearly confident enough with my straight up guesses.

Back to top Go down

Stator wires? Empty Re: Stator wires?

Post  Mauser Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:03 pm

You really need to find out who's or what stator is being used and start from there, if it's a Ricky stator then I would find the wiring diagram for this unit and follow it...would it not be a Baja Designs stator ? to go with their loom ?......shouldn't be hard to sort out once you establish the stators origin ?.
Mauser
XRR Monger

XR650R Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:20 pm

There's other stators who come with dual windings, Electrosport's one of them I think.
I got one with a 100W plus a 50W winding (both separate ie floating), so 150W total - which allows for AC+DC, dual AC or dual DC circuits, anything goes.
To make it more confusing though, their older stators had electrically connected (or midway grounded, can't remember) windings, with it also some restrictions regarding rectifying and/or regulating.
Bottom line is, you need to measure what you have - or have someone do this who knows his stuff if you do not, no offense pls Bump

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down