Honda XR650R Discussion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Silencing The Skid Plate

Go down

Silencing The Skid Plate Empty Silencing The Skid Plate

Post  Focker Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:52 am

I bought some marine grade weather striping from Lowes to put between my frame & Utah skid plate. I personally noticed a huge difference in cutting down on the skid plate amplifying the "knocking" from the engine.
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Silencing The Skid Plate Empty Re: Silencing The Skid Plate

Post  Guest Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:57 pm

I really hate the knocking noise also that is radiated up from the skid plate. Remove the skid plate and WOW, nice and quiet. I tried the rubber between the frame and skid plate but didn't cut down the noise as much as I would have liked. I think I'm going to try installing a piece of Dynamat on the inside of the skid plate to see what happens.

Really not a big deal, I know these things make a knocking noise and it doesn't hurt anything. I'd just like to have it quieter.

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:09 pm

Some have posted good results by spraying/painting bed liner on the skid plates. I'm waiting for the local truck accesssory dealer to call when he's spraying a black bed.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:15 am

joenuclear wrote:Some have posted good results by spraying/painting bed liner on the skid plates. I'm waiting for the local truck accessory dealer to call when he's spraying a black bed.

Post up your results when you get it re-installed.

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down

Silencing The Skid Plate Empty Dyna mat

Post  Guest Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:05 am

I did the Dyna mat thing on my 08 KLR with a HT Skid Plate. For me? Not worth the money!

My Skid plate arrived today and I am gonna do this one differently. Has anyone here tried this?

I am gonna use Protecto Wrap. It is a contractors dream (no I am not a contractor) as it is to me the same stuff as dynamat except it doesnt have the cheesey foil on top. Its a plastic top. No not worried about it melting. tuff stuff. Basically both are nothing but a thin piece of tar like substance that adheres to the plate. The rub is I am gonna add the foam that they use for keeping mud out of the skid plate that is used for the purpose of keeping the heat down on the motor as mud retains the heat when packed in. The foam wont let the mud in yet allows air flow. A couple guys I have talked to said the use of the foam does two things. Stops the mud build up and heat retention and baffles the noise. Worth trying I am a guessin?

Back to top Go down

Post  Focker Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:39 pm

This is the stuff I mentioned at the top of the post.
Silencing The Skid Plate Picture001ti2
Focker
Focker
Site Owner

http://www.xr650rforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:36 pm

Focker wrote:This is the stuff I mentioned at the top of the post.

That's very similar to the rubber material that I tried also, I didn't have as good of luck though and mine is just as loud as it was before. I'll give the dynamat a try only because I already have a roll laying around the garage, or maybe I'll just ignore it and not worry about the noise....oH well...

Back to top Go down

Silencing The Skid Plate Empty On today

Post  Guest Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:32 am

Well after looking it over and deciding to go ahead and mount my new radiator guards (Devol) and skid plate (Ricochet) I decided NO Dyna mat or as I said in a previous post using Protecto wrap. I started looking around the garage for a way to squish the noise or diffuse it someway. Started digging way back on the shelf and found old Uni Air Filter material I used for making custom filters for my TZ 250 and decided what the heck! Got enough to fit between the frame rails and still be able to fill the space from skid plate to bottom of the engine so in it went! BUT! The bad part is> I wont know what the sound change will be because going from a stock plastic skid plate to this all aluminum right off the bat with baffleing I wont know the difference in noise without the baffleing material as I cant compare. I do know this is the same mfg I used on my 08 KLR 650 and Dynamat made very little difference in that application. The 08 KLR also with its new fairing and set up was ripe for funneling the noises from the engine right up between the dash and tank.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:56 am

Yeah, the more I think about it I'm just going to ignore the noise and not worry about it. It's a giant thumper and it's going to knock and make racket. Just part of the fun BRP smile

My aluminum bash plate makes a LOT more noise than the stock plastic one did. It re-directs a lot of noise back up to the rider, the huge Accerbis tank also made it worse.

Hodakaguy

Back to top Go down

Silencing The Skid Plate Empty Now U tell me

Post  Guest Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:57 pm

My Sahara is due any day now! Let the noise come as more fuel equals more fun! affraid

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:08 pm

I guess there is a benifit to being neaqrly deaf I didn't know the engine made any noise other that xhaust.I run thestock plastice plate it seems to be durable and good protection.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:12 pm

I sprayed mine with spray in bed liner and it made a huge difference. I put 2 coats on the skidplate and it quieted it down a ton. It takes a while for it to dry completely but it is worth it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:15 pm

I can't hear mine over all the rocks bouncing of the damn skidplate. BRP smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down